Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Lots of newness in new government appointees by the prime minister:

1) new cabinet secretary (Murphy is out)
2) " speaker of the house (Arguelles is out)
3) " attorney general (Pitts is out)
4) " Police Minister (Singh is out)
5) " New Transport Minister (Melvin Hulse is out but Godwin is in)
6) " Senators...4 new senators unelected, made ministers,,,not ministers of state but full blown ministers...2 women included
7) " combination of ministries
8) Min of Econdev strengthened with Foreign Trade portfolio plus others...Contreras buffed up
9) few new ceos too; none too controversial
10) no ombudsman still

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

PM Names High Powered Senators To New Cabinet

After retreating to Placencia for the holiday weekend - the Prime Minister came back to Belmopan with a Cabinet line-up full of surprises.

The new group was presented at a press conference this afternoon in Belmopan - and as we found out, the PM called upon some - what you might call - latent UDP's to fill out what he hopes will be the best government ever.

That's a tall order to fill - and here's who he says can fit the bill:..

Jules Vasquez reporting
When the new ministers came walking into the NEMO conference room, onlookers saw more than a few strange faces - and that's because the PM went in a most unusual direction when choosing his senator-ministers:

Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister
"I had two options; to go the traditional route and to look for tried and true UDP party activists and make them senators and ministers or to go the route of looking for the best talent, the best brain power, the best expertise that would be available to me so that I could form a cabinet that could be seen by all the people of this country as reflecting an effort to harness all of the skills available to UDP in order to produce the best government possible."

And those Senator Ministers are these four - Lisel Alamilla, of the Yaaxche Conservation Trust, Godwin Hulse, formerly a senator for the business sector, Joy Grant, formerly ambassador to the European Union and David Gibson, former CEO in the Ministry of Public Service.

They are now all UDP senators and join a cabinet led by seasoned, veteran politicians:

"The ministry of finance will become the ministry of finance and economic development. So, I would be minister of finance and economic development and assisting me with particular responsibility for the economic development aspect of the portfolio would be the Hon. Santiago Santino Castillo Jr."

"He will be in charge of capital budget preparation in management economic development planning/public sector investment program planning/development finance institutions and multilateral financing agencies, DFC, SIF and the statistical institute of Belize."

"The old economic development ministry now becomes the ministry of trade, investment, private sector development and consumer protection."

"I am going to give you some idea of the subject areas but what I am telling you isn't final. In essence what I am telling you will remain intact but there may be some tweaking here and there."

"That ministry of trade/investment/private sector development and consumer protection will now include foreign trade and investment promotion/international trade negotiations/industrial and commercial development/Beltraide/small business/gaming and all the consumer protection functions, the bureau of standards, consumer protection, fair competition/supplies and price control/rates and measures/free zone and the export processing zones. The minister of trade/investment/private sector development and consumer protection is going to be Hon. Erwin Rafael Contreras."

"The former ministry of natural resources becomes the ministry of natural resources and agriculture. Some of the old subject areas in the previous ministry of natural resources are going to new ministries. What remains is in terms of natural resources, lands and land management, mining, land surveys, physical planning, hydrology, solid waste management and added to that is the ministry of agriculture. The minister of natural resources and agriculture will be the Deputy Prime Minister Hon. Gaspar Vega and he will be assisted by Hon. Hugo Patt as minister of state with particular responsibility for agriculture."

"There will be a new ministry of forestry/fisheries/sustainable development and indigenous peoples. That ministry will include the subject areas of forestry, protected areas and reserves, PACT, climate change environment, fisheries, coastal zone management authority and the looking after the relations with indigenous peoples. The ministry of forestry/fisheries/sustainable development and indigenous peoples will be Senator Hon. Lisel Alamilla."

"There is going to be a new ministry of energy/science and technology and public utilities and under that ministry will be geology and petroleum, electricity, gas, solar, research and development, science education, public utilities including the public utilities commission, water industry, telecommunications and energy. The minister of energy/science and technology and public utilities will be Senator Hon. Joy Grant."

"The Attorney General and minister and foreign affairs is Hon. Wilfred "Sedi" Elrington."

"We have again combine police and defense in a ministry of natural security. The new minister of national security is Hon. John Saldivar. He will be assisted by minister of state Elvin Penner who will have particular responsibility for immigration and border protection and the immigration department."

"The ministry of housing with urban development remains the same and the minister of housing and urban development remains the same; Hon. Michael Finnegan."

"The minister in the ministry of works and transport will be Hon. Rene Montero and he will be assisted by a minister of state who will have full responsibility practically for transport and that minister of state with responsibility for transport is Hon. Edmund Castro."

"The ministry of tourism/culture and civil aviation now becomes the ministry of tourism and culture and the minister remains the same; Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr."

"The ministry of health remains the same and the minister remains the same; Hon. Pablo Marin."

"The next ministry is the ministry of labor/local government/rural development and NEMO and I am pleased to introduce the new minister of labor/local government/rural development and NEMO senator Hon. Godwin Hulse."

"Next is the ministry of the public service/elections and boundaries and I am pleased to introduce the new minister of the public service/elections and boundaries senator Hon. Charles Gibson."

"There is a new ministry of human development/social transformation/poverty alleviation and the new minister is Hon. Boots "poor people governor" Martinez. He will be assisted in that ministry by Hon. Mark King who will have particular responsibility for the conscious youth development program and the gang truce program."

"Then there is the ministry of education/youth and sports. The minister of education/youth and sports is of course Hon. Patrick Faber. He will be assisted by a minister of state with responsibility for both youth and sports Hon. Herman Longsworth."

"Am I forgetting anyone or anything? Is that fifteen, Jules? Alright."

"CEOs, let me just go with what I have and say who will be appointed subject to of course to contractual business being sorted out. In the ministry of finance and economic development, of course remember that I also have the office of the Prime Minister and that will continue to be coordinated by CEO Audrey Wallace."

"Under the office of the Prime Minister which is not a separate ministry, there is responsibility for cabinet, inter-ministerial coordination, information, broadcasting and the press offices, parliamentary matters, restore Belize, economic development council (now called business forum), special projects and the national honors and awards."

And so how will this Cabinet of politicians and glossy civil society, and professional types work with each other?

"The fact that Godwin throughout the years has been a stern monitor, has been a kind of invigilator on behalf of the society, has been a watchdog, doesn't mean that he ever moved away from his UDP roots and his UDP support. He has been a sort of man for all seasons; in agriculture, with the chamber, all over the map. But one thing that has been constant has been the fact that Godwin is UDP. He was before the business senator, he is not going back into the cabinet as the business senator, he is going back into the senate as UDP government for business and as a UDP senator. We expect, and that is one of the reasons he has ask to join government that he will bring to the table in cabinet his same fierce anti-corruption position. We embrace that. Jules I am telling you that there is going to be some push back in terms of the appointments that have been made."

"I am happy that all my elected colleagues support those appointments but there are going to be people in my party who will say "what happen to me, what happen to so and so?" I am determined that this is to be a government that is going to be the best administration this country has ever seen and that is why I am reached out to people like Godwin, Lisel, Joy Grant and Charles Gibson, all persons of the greatest possible integrity."

"Surely, since this is unperrel of the backlash that I will get from supporters of my own party. Surely though the larger society will be comforted and will recognize that this next UDP government is all together serious about doing the right thing for the people of this country."

"They are at bottom UDPs, their elected colleagues welcome them as such and we will proceed together to work in path of UDP righteousness."

Jules Vasquez
"So then it can be said that you are grateful for the opportunity of having to appoint four senators as ministers which comes as a consequence of almost losing the election."

"Short answer. Yes."

Jules Vasquez
"There is certain venal pursuits which occupy people who have to get re-elected because government at a certain point is a business. Regrettable though it may be. Are you able to balance the interplay of those who need not pursue nor tolerate such pursuits as oppose to those who must because they have a constituency that requires servicing."

"Look man, it's like what Godwin said. He understands there is a political bottom-line and he understands that all of us in the cabinet who are supporting the UDP must serve that political bottom-line. But the political bottom-line need not be corrupt."

"Jules, it's a matter of balance in practice, recognizing the reality of which you spoke but also being determined that none of us ought to come loose from moorings in terms of the requirement to as far as is possible maintain the public trust, not to abuse office, as far as is possible to be honest and accountable and open. I am perfectly satisfied that while it will not be a walk in the park, we can and will do this."

A few notes, that didn't make it into the story: The Speaker of the House will be attorney Mike Peyrefitte, whose bullish style is sure to contrast sharply with the style of his unruffled predecessor Emile Arguelles.

The leader of Government Business in the Senate will be Godwin Hulse who replaces Doug Singh - the former police minister who will no longer be either Senator or Minister.

The President of the Senate will be former UDP Orange Walk South Standard Bearer, Marco Pech. The first ceremonial house meeting will be held a week from tomorrow.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

New Senator - Ministers Speak

And the first National Party Council meeting will be on this Saturday. That's when Senators Godwin Hulse, Lisel Alamilla, Joy Grant and David Gibson - who have never been directly painted as UDP die-hards - will have to go to the UDP Headquarters and meet with the politicians who are now their colleagues.

It's particularly interesting for Godwin Hulse - the former Senator for the business sector. Well, he's now a UDP Senator - and he told us why he could not turn down the Prime Minister's offer:..

Jules Vasquez
"Mr. Hulse, why did you say yes?"

Hon. Godwin Hulse
"I couldn't say no. I really couldn't say no. When the Prime Minister asks me, it took me totally by surprise and by shock. I ask him to give me a little while so that I can consult with my family and my close people; sit down with my wife and my people. I am involved in a lot of things. Most of the people I am associated with say "you have always been championing the opportunity to get into that cabinet to do good, you have said the Prime Minister should bring people from outside that cabinet and leave his elected representatives to run their constituencies. Now he ask you and you say no. That the end of you." I really couldn't say no."

Jules Vasquez
"How do you reconcile the natural tension between political expediency and doing the right thing in government?"

Hon. Godwin Hulse
"Jules, thanks for the question, but as I have always said and you've heard the Prime Minister repeat, that was my first thing to him when he ask me and as I said I was totally shock because I didn't expect to be ask. But I firmly believe and have always believed that they are not mutually exclusive, that you can do the right thing, that you can be transparent, that you can be non-corrupt, you can be aggressive and you can achieve your political aims all at the same time."

"The structure is clear. I've mention over and over, that is why you have an auditor general, that's why you have an ombudsman, that why you have a contractor general, that's why you have all these reports. Work the reports. That's why you have CEOs and accounting officers; work them and work them properly."

"Remember the mantra; "that if you want to build this edifice to the glory of your concubine then bring that bill to the house of parliament and if it is passed, so be it. That is the solution.""

"As you heard the Prime Minister say; giving out monies for poverty alleviation. If that is a government policy, fair and fine. Bring it to parliament, it is passed, its clean and clear. That is the kind of thing I hope we do."

Jules Vasquez
"Now we know that you have a rugged independence, you have a history of being ruggedly independent and critical of those things which you feel are not pursuing the highest ideal in nationalism governance etc."

"How will you reconcile that with being a party Senator, UDP Senator?"

Hon. Godwin Hulse
"Again, I think that it hopefully going to lift the party and lift the government to that level rather than the other way round. I've been very clear with the Prime Minister. I will continue to be clear and speak openly. Clearly I am not going to be associated with anything that's considered wrong doing."

"When I was asked to do this job, I understood clearly the Prime Minister's position that he wants to lift the nation. He wants to have the greatest and cleanest government. I would like to see Belize on the transparency index at number one. That's the goal for me."

The other interesting case is for Lisel Alamilla. She has been working in conservation for almost two decades and up until today, was the Executive Director of the Ya'axche conservation trusts.

She has been one of the most consistent and an outspoken critic of the Rosewood trade - and is now suddenly the Minister with responsibility for the Forestry Department - the same departments that she has publicly criticized for letting Rosewood traders run roughshod.

So what's she going to do now? That, among other things, is what we asked her today:..

Jules Vasquez
"Why did you say yes?"

Hon. Lisel Alamilla
"Jules, what better way to serve this country, really. I have 17 years of doing this work; advocacy. Doing it from outside of the system and I think it's an opportunity to get inside to sit at cabinet and to try to influence the decisions. I just could not say no. It was not an option."

Jules Vasquez
"How important is this for the conservation community? You've been in this along with Ms. Grant for two decades almost."

Hon. Lisel Alamilla
"Well I hope they see it as a great bold move from the Prime Minister that someone who know what's going on the ground. Know what the needs are of the NGOs, the conservation NGOs in particular because that's where my expertise comes from. I think that they will be supportive. I think that we will find win win situations. There is politics to be played. That is part of the game. I am not naive in thinking that I will waltz in and get everything that I want but I do believe that I will be able to convince them to get a lot of what we want because what we want makes sense for Belize."

Jules Vasquez
"Some who view your ascension from a cynical perspective will say that, well this is payback for publicly opposing the coalition and OCEANA's referendum, the referendum trigger I think."

Hon. Lisel Alamilla
"I wish I could have dream of that, that this could even be possible. This offer is not something that even in my wildest dream thought possible. I was never bought; no one had even talk to me about this. It was a decision I made when I spoke out against the referendum because I felt that it was not a right decision. Lots of people in the NGO community felt equal, had the same thinking but they were afraid to speak up and I was bold enough to speak up and I will continue to speak up even when it's not the popular thing to say."

Jules Vasquez
"Your conservation group that you formerly led is based in PG and in the southern Toledo District. What will happen to rosewood? You will soon be minister of forestry."

Hon. Lisel Alamilla
"Right after I finish with you, I am going over to the forestry department to talk about how we are going to move forward on rosewood because that has been at the center of my work for the last few months. It's something that has been bothering me. It's something that has been concerning. The Prime Minister is supportive that we take bold actions and so that is what we are going to do."

"I don't know how we are going about doing it but I think a moratorium is going to happen real soon."

And a correction to our earlier story, the Minister of Public Service and Elections and Boundaries is Charles Gibson, not David. Later on, we'll tell you who are the CEO's assigned to run those new ministries and tell you who are the winners and losers in the newly realigned cabinet.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The CEO Line-up

And finally tonight, we go over the new Chief Executive Officers who will get to lead the newly organized ministries.
  • Sharman Hyde will be the CEO of Finance and Economic Development.
  • Beverly Castillo will be the CEO of Ministry of Natural Resources and Agriculture.
  • Mike Singh will be the CEO of Trade, Investment, Private Sector Development and Consumer protection.
  • Dr. Wendel Parham will be the CEO of Forestry, Fisheries, Sustainable Development and Indigenous People.
  • Dr. Colin Young will be the CEO of Energy, Science and Technology and Public Utilities.
  • Alexis Rosado stay on as CEO of foreign affairs.
  • Col. George Lovell will be the CEO of the newly reconstituted National Security.
  • Lawrence Sylvester stays on as CEO of Housing and Urban Development.
  • Carlston Goff will be the CEO for works and Transport.
  • Lindsay Garbutt stays on as CEO for Tourism and Culture.
  • Dr. Peter Allen stays on as CEO for Health.
  • Candy Saldivar is Godwin Hulse's CEO in Labour Local Government, and NEMO
  • Marion McNab is CEO for Public Service and Elections and Boundaries.
  • Judith Alpuche stays on as CEO for Human Development.
  • David Leacock stays on as CEO for Education and Youth.

Channel 7

A new Cabinet was appointed on Tuesday, March 13, 2012, following the re-election of the Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow's administration last week. In total there are fifteen ministers; eleven whom are elected representatives and the other four being appointed through the senate. While the Prime Minister did reshuffle the cabinet some ministers did stay with their same portfolio. Minister Manuel Heredia Jr, stayed with his portfolio of Ministry of Tourism and Culture as well as Minister Pablo Marin stayed with the Ministry of Health. The following is the new list of Ministers and their portfolios.

Portfolios:
*Rt. Hon Dean Oliver Barrow - Prime Minister, Minister of Finance and Economic Development     
*Hon Gaspar Vega - Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Natural Resources and Agriculture
*Hon Erwin Raphael Contreras - Ministry of Trade Investment, Private Sector Development and Consumer Protection
*Hon Wilfred 'Sedi" Elrington - Attorney General and Ministry of Foreign Affairs
* Hon John Saldivar - Ministry of National Security
* Hon Michael Finnegan - Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
* Hon. Rene Montero - Ministry of Works and Transport
*Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. - Ministry of Tourism and Culture
*Hon. Pablo Marin - Ministry of Health
*Anthony "Boots" Martinez - Ministry of Human Development, Social Transformation and Poverty Alleviation
*Hon. Patrick Faber - Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports
*Hon. Senator Liselle Alamilla - Ministry of Forestry, Fisheries, Sustainable Development and Indigenous People
*Hon. Senator Joy Grant - Ministry of Energy, Science and Technology and Public Utilities
*Hon. Senator Godwin Hulse - Ministry of Labour, Local Government, Rural Development and NEMO
*Hon. Senator Charles Gibson - Ministry of Public Service and Elections and Boundaries

Ministers of State:
*Hon. Santiago Castillo - Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development (with special emphasis on Economic Development)
*Hon. Hugo Patt - Minister of State in the Ministry of Natural Resources and Agriculture (with special emphasis on Agriculture
*Hon. Elvin Penner - Ministry of State of in the Ministry of National Security (with special emphasis on Immigration and Border Protection & Immigration Department)
*Hon. Edmond Castro - Minister of State in the Ministry of Works and Transport (with special emphasis on Transport)
*Hon. Mark King - Minister of State in the Ministry of Human Development, Social Transformation and Poverty Alleviation (with special emphasis on the Conscious Youth Development Program and the Gang Truce Program)
*Hon. Herman Longsworth - Minister of State in the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (with special emphasis on Youth and Sports)

The new Chief Executive Officers who will get to lead the newly organized ministries.

Sharman Hyde - CEO of Finance and Economic Development.
Beverly Castillo - CEO of Ministry of Natural Resources and Agriculture.
Mike Singh -
CEO of Trade, Investment, Private Sector Development and Consumer protection.
Dr. Wendel Parham - CEO of Forestry, Fisheries, Sustainable Development & Indigenous People.
Dr. Colin Young - CEO of Energy, Science and Technology and Public Utilities.
Alexis Rosado - CEO of foreign affairs.
Col. George Lovell - CEO of the newly reconstituted National Security.
Lawrence Sylvester - CEO of Housing and Urban Development.
Carlston Goff - CEO for Works and Transport.
Lindsay Garbutt - CEO for Tourism and Culture.
Dr. Peter Allen - CEO for Health.
Candy Saldivar is Godwin Hulse's CEO in Labor, Local Government and NEMO
Marion McNab - CEO for Public Service and Elections and Boundaries.
Judith Alpuche - CEO for Human Development.
David Leacock - CEO for Education and Youth.

The Speaker of the House will be attorney Mike Peyrefitte, The President of the Senate will be former UDP Orange Walk South Standard Bearer, Mark Pech and the Cabinet Secretary will be Carlos Perdomo. The leader of Government Business in the Senate will be Godwin Hulse who replaces Doug Singh - the former police minister who will no longer be either Senator or Minister.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Reelected Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow today unveiled his 2012 cabinet following the narrow victory of his United Democratic Party achieved in General Elections on 7 March 2o12. The new Belize Cabinet is remarkable for the record appointment of unelected party supporters - a total of four - to be full ministers of government sidelining elected parliamentarians that slogged it through a grueling electoral campaign.

The four appointed minsters are all close allies of Mr. Barrow and include a former automotive mechanic turned farmer, two women environmentalists and a former government archivist. Answering questions today at a press conference to present his new government, Mr. Barrow justified bringing in unelected parliamentarians to form one fourth of his cabinet by saying that he was looking for talent, diversity and brainpower to give Belize the best cabinet it has ever had. The unelected ministers were first appointed senators by Mr. Barrow, then appointed ministers - the only device available to him to bring in unelected parliamentarians into the cabinet. The following is the full list of ministers in the Belize Cabinet 2012:

Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow - Prime Minister and Minister of Finance and Economic Development
Minister of State Santiago Castillo (with special emphasis on Economic Development)
Hon. Gaspar Vega - Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Natural Resources and Agriculture
Minister of State Hugo Patt (with special emphasis on Agriculture)
Hon. Erwin Contreras - Minister of Trade, Investment, Private Sector Development and Consumer Protection
Hon. Senator Liselle Alamilla - Forestry, Fisheries, Sustainable Development and Indigenous People
Hon. Senator Joy Grant - Minister of Energy, Science and Technology and Public Utilities
Hon. Wilfred Elrington - Attorney General and Minister of Foreign Affairs
Hon. John Saldivar - National Security, Police and Belize Defense Force
Minister of State Elvin Penner - with special emphasis on Immigration and Border Protection
Hon. Michael Finnegan - Minister of Housing and Urban Development
Hon. Rene Montero - Minister of Works and Transport
Minister of State Edmond Castro - with special emphasis on Transport
Hon. Manuel Heredia - Minister of Tourism and Culture
Hon. Pablo Marin - Minister of Health
Hon. Senator Godwin Hulse - Minister of Labour, Local Government and Rural Development
Hon. Senator Charles Gibson - Public Service and Elections and Boundaries
Hon. Anthony Martinez - Minister of Human Development, Social Transformation and Poverty Alleviation
Hon. Mark King - special emphasis on the Conscious Youth Development Programme and the Gang Truce Programme
Hon. Patrick Faber - Education, Youth and Sports
Minister of State Herman Longsworth (with special emphasis on Youth and Sports)

SOURCE

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend....

WOW! A "Ministry of Indigenous Peoples..."

www.7newsbelize.com

"There will be a new ministry of forestry/fisheries/sustainable development and indigenous peoples. That ministry will include the subject areas of forestry, protected areas and reserves, PACT, climate change environment, fisheries, coastal zone management authority and the looking after the relations with indigenous peoples. The ministry of forestry/fisheries/sustainable development and indigenous peoples will be Senator Hon. Lisel Alamilla."

That's a good thing. So many countries in the world dismiss and ignore their indigenous people to the point that they lose their culture, their lands, their way of life.... I applaud the fact that our government is taking steps to avoid the mistakes that many other nations have made.

Of course theory and practice are not the same, I can hope that this gesture will have substance.

Does anybody else find it strange to lump indigenous people, trees and fish into the same ministry .....

There are quite a few odd partnerships in the list!

But truthfully I think that this might be a choice of the particular Minister too. And I think indigenous people go well with our natural habitat.

Don't try and reason with politics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.