Vatican appoints Rev. Christopher Clancy Auxiliary Bishop of Belize

Fr. Christopher Clancy

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Belize is to have a new Auxiliary Bishop.

He is Father Christopher Clancey, former Pastor of the Parish of St. Francis Xavier in Corozal Town and a priest of the order of St.Viator.

He will be consecrated as Bishop in Belize City at St. John’s College Auditorium on Saturday, May 5, 2012, at a morning mass which will begin at 10:00.

Archbishop Luigi Pezzuto, Papal Nuncio, will be the principal celebrant at that Mass, accompanied by Bishop Dorick Wright of Belize and Bishop Jacques Berthelet, retired Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Jeab Longueuil in Quebec, Canada.

“What excites me about the Church in Belize is the active involvement of the laity”, there are so many people involved in the life of the Church,” Bishop elect Clancy recalled, adding:

“I return to Belize as Auxiliary Bishop. That means my first duty is to help the Bishop. I am quite comfortable in that role.

“Although I know and love St. Francis Xavier Parish in Corozal very well, I do have to experience and come to love the rest of the diocese.

“I do look forward to doing that. Bishop Dorick Wright has asked me to visit all of the parishes in the weeks and months following my ordination to get to know the diocese better.”

The Reporter