Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#433127 - 03/16/12 09:18 AM ‘Family Secrets;’ Sexual Abuse of a Girl
Marty Online   happy

‘Family Secrets;’ The True Story of the Sexual Abuse of a Girl

The true story of the sexual abuse of a young girl has been captured in a book entitled Family Secrets. Written by US author, Dr Billie Jean Young, the book was launched this morning at the Leo Bradley Library. Young, who lived in Belize for several years, tells the gripping story from the perspective of the child’s mother who knew of the incestuous relationship but accepted the father’s explanation. News Five’s Andrea Polanco reports.

Andrea Polanco, Reporting

Family secrets, we all have them. Most are untold stories of things we want to keep hush-hush. But the life story of a child in unremitting abuse, since the age of six, is not something that Dr Billie Jean Young wants to keep hidden. Fittingly titled, her book, ‘Family Secrets’ tells the tale of a family’s struggle of the sexual exploitation a young child; it is a true story:

Dr. Billie Jean Young, Author

Billie Jean Young

“This was an intervention; we saw a woman in distress; a woman who needed help and so we decided to do something about it. This book is written in the mother’s voice, because the mother, after her escape, knew that mothers were always blamed for the incestuous behaviors of their husbands. While you are thinking, think about this, you have known about this for a year. God has been good to you, you are being offered help, if you don’t accept now what is being offered, God may lift his protective arms from around you. You have waited almost a month and that is a menstrual cycle. If God abandons you now, you may find yourself a grandmother to your husband’s child.”

Young’s exploration the family’s story is captured in the book’s cover; a chain with a lock; a story so ugly, it is tucked way in the furthest recess of the mind. Excerpts of the publication shares elements that may influence the opening of that lock;

Dr. Billie Jean Young

“Better let it lie, that is the decision she made, of course when she said that to me, I said, ‘let it lie? Let it lie? What do you mean, let it lie?’ He said he would never do it again. Doesn’t matter what he said. It will happen again, it has happened again. And there were times when she was irresolute, even after having decided to run away. She said, ‘I stifled the impulse to give up; to tell my husband what I am doing; to seek reconciliation. It is too much, too hard to break a twenty –two year old habit. What of Yalow, she is the main reason; what will she say? Will she resent me? Refuse to go; what will I do if she refuses to go? Force her? Tie back to the plane? Will she try to run away, back to her father? She loves him so and she is stubborn, opinionated. Will I be able to stand up against her; this miniature of her father’s creation?”

‘Family Secrets,’ chronicles the family’s journey from Belize to Canada, a route taken to escape the lock of incest and abuse. The outside world is blind to it; steeped in a culture where it’s considered almost taboo:

Dr. Billie Jean Young

“She moved quickly to me and says ‘he knows nothing, tell him what to do.’ Now, my taxi driver didn’t know what he was doing, you understand. First there was no name to put on what was happening in Jaye Peay’s house. There was not even a way to talk about it in the culture. It was just ‘gial got what she deserved; woman mess up; somebody enticed the man, you understand. So we knew that even to go to the police would be to mess up this man’s family, so we couldn’t do that, and we couldn’t tell the taxi driver.”

Wilfred ‘Sedi’ Elrington says he hopes that publications like ‘Family Secrets,’ provide inspiration, particularly to women who have experienced similar exploitations:

Wilfred ‘Sedi’ Elrington

Wilfred ‘Sedi’ Elrington, Friend of the Author

“I think it would be an excellent initiative if in fact works of this type can be bought and read together with women who really live the experiences, that on a daily basis you’re going to find her writing about. It will help them to understand that really, they are not isolated; this is not a problem that is peculiar to them and these are things that need to be made public and wrongly condemn and must change.”

Reporting for News Five, I’m Andrea Polanco.

Family Secrets is available for sixty dollars in Belize. This recent publication, along with Young’s two other works, ‘Fear not the fall’ and ‘Now How You Do? A Memoir,’ are available online at Amazon.com and Barnes And Noble.

Channel 7

#433129 - 03/16/12 09:21 AM Re: ‘Family Secrets;’ Sexual Abuse of a Girl [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

New book focuses on “Family Secrets”

Associate Professor and artist-in-residence on the Fine and Performing Arts faculty of Judson College in Marion, Alabama Dr. Billie Jean Young today launched her newest book entitled “Family Secrets”. The book which was published in December 2010 by Westry Wingate Press was launched during a ceremony at the Leo Bradley Library. It highlights the true experiences of a Belizean family going through a situation that involved incest, finally breaking the chains in the end by escaping to another country. The ceremony included the introduction of the Author by Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wilfred Elrington.

This was followed by remarks by the author, Billie Jean Young.

Young read excerpts of the novel that captured the attention and emotion of the audience every step of the way. After the vote of thanks by Executive director of the National Women’s Commission, Ann Marie Williams the book was officially presented and the author autographed the copies bought. The launch comes as a collaborative effort between the Belize National Library Service and Information System, the Board and Staff of the Duke of Edinburgh Award in Belize, Women of Destiny and Purpose, Belize Rural Women’s Association Network and the Author, Billie Jean Young. Young has also published two other books. All her books are available at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble and other major book sellers.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 45 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,260 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.