Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#433350 03/18/12 08:50 AM
OP Offline
We took a group of friends out last night on the "Eyeshine" tour and it was a FABULOUS experience! If you are visiting or living in San Pedro, this trip is a must do! Thanks Vince and Cherie for a great time.

Change your Latitude
L
L
I would love to do this on my next trip to Belize. I had the opportunity to see the original sanctuary down by Punta Gorda and really enjoyed the tour. Is there any information on times, price, etc?

F
F
We've been out with them a number of times and it's always a blast -- they're great people, they're tremendously knowledgeable, and...they catch humungous crocodiles for a living. We bring all of our visitors on croc cruises, and they always love it.

In case you missed it, here's a video we made of some of the croc catches we joined them for: http://vimeo.com/24437432

Island Films | www.islandfilms.bz

CSI Belize Tour: A Night Time Search for Crocs on Ambergris Caye

Most people that visit San Pedro swim with sharks and sting rays at Hol Chan Marine Park. Some go to see manatees, some see monkeys on a trip to the mainland. But there is a relatively new tour that exposes people to a threatened species that lives right here on the island. You hardly have to travel far at all to get a look at the potentially 15-20 foot long American Crocodile in his native habitat.

Vince and Cherie, the founders of the American Crocodile Education Sanctuary have spent years saving, rehabilitating and, when necessary, relocating these large predators all over Belize. They are now stationed on this island and have started a really cool tour to allow people to see and, if you are ready, touch these slightly scary animals. (How cute are they? Only a matter of time before they have a TV show I think).

As the island becomes more and more developed, the crocodiles lose their habitat, the brackish water of the mangrove trees, and are forced closer and closer to humans. Crocodiles used to people and used to be fed by people is a bad thing.

For the tour, everyone meets at the bar at Reef Village just north of the bridge. You can arrive early and have a few drinks and food, you can bring some drinks on the boat...Vince and Cherie are totally flexible.

Just as the sun sets, our group loaded onto the boat. Here is the first thing you see. Yikes. The skull of an eleven footer.

Cherie gave us the run down on what ACES does, what the tour would be about and answered as many questions that we had. She told us about crocs they have rescued and estimates that up to 90% have been injured in some way...with bullet holes, knife stabs, one was blinded. Poor guys.

Let's find some crocs! Since it is night time, Chris shines the flash light at the edge of the mangroves and docks to find the orange glow of croc eyes.

We continued to look along the lagoon side of Boca Del Rio. If you need to use a bathroom or just stop and grab a beer or soda, there are a few bars that you can swing by. We kept going...we had a crocodile on board that we were letting go. This little guy had been found in San Mateo just a few weeks before under someone's house.

He looks little but when measured, he is almost four feet long.

He also looks docile but when he first came out of the container, he gave a brief thrash that let's you know that this guy means business.

After measuring him, sexing him (see that little pucker down by his back legs? His little bits are in there), observing the hole in his tail where he had been jabbed by someone, implanting a micro-chip in him and naming him Crocodile Chuck Dundee, we all were given the option to hold him. See those claws and teeth? I'm too big of a wimp...but some in the group were more brave.

ACES takes people out on the CSI tour (Crocodile Scientific Investigators) every Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening by reservation only from the Tiki Bar at Reef Village. The price is $40 USD per person (4 person minimum) and all of the funds allow these guys to do more good work saving these endangered species. Keeping both humans and the crocs safe and healthy (well...healthy just applies to the reptiles, the humans are on their own).

For more information on the tour or Vince and Cherie's program, check out there website: Americancrocodilesanctuary.org.

AND, it is illegal to feed crocodiles in Belize. Once a crocodile associates humans with food and loses its natural fear of people, it can become a dangerous and potentially sick animal. This trip is the right way to view these huge predators on Ambergris Caye.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on San Pedro Scoop

C
C2C
C2C
C
So let's see if I read this correctly...

It's night time. We down a few Belikins, climb into a boat (life vests everyone?), down a few more Belikins, then "associate" by passing around and naming a croc that should have minimum interaction with humans.

That right?

I'm all for croc trips (BTDT - gators in Louisiana, USA) and tagging (BTDT too in college) but as separate activities. I'm all for drinking and boating (I often sail at night) but, again, as separate activities.

I hope ACES rethinks their croc tour program.

T
T
Some people just love to suck the fun out of everything.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.