Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#432222 03/05/12 07:10 PM
OP Offline
I'm planning the top of my house and making it as green as I can. I am researching induction cooktops and am very intrigued; especially since it uses less electricity and produces no heat in the kitchen.
Have any of you ever used one?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
D
D
Yes. It still make your kitchen hotter to have a stove full of hot pans and boiling soup. I liked it but didn't spend the money on the next kitchen.
The savings in electricity wasn't noticeable.

S
S
If you do a lot of cooking, I'd say you're better off w/ gas, simply from a wear/tear standpoint. Induction tops look nice, but I'd be afraid I'd scratch it all to heck in a week!!!

Here's the ticket if you want to go green and still be able to cook up a storm:

http://www.imperialrange.com/downloads/greenTech.pdf

Oven even has an air-kinfe built into the door to keep the heat in the oven when you open it up to take a peek!!!

If you get one of these, let me know and I'll come over and help you break it in.

I have an induction. Personally I like gas better, but bought a house with stovetop on island and no gas hookup there. I can verify it doesn't throw off heat. Not sure on how much $ it saves over electric; use mine a few times / week. The tops can scratch some (my scratches are on the stainless trim around the cooktop; not the black cooktop itself). It cooks more like gas than a regular electric stovetop, but that is about the only reason I see in getting an induction over electric. If you don't care about that, you can save a lot of $ buying an electric stovetop instead.

C
C
I have a plain old glass top electric and it's quite easy to keep shiny and clean with the right products. Don't let someone carve a turkey in and wire framed pan on the stove top and it won't scratch. I do worry about dropping something on it from the microwave above. I understand that the induction cooking takes special pans but heat instantly and is very efficient. Really great if you have kids because the stove top doesn't heat just the pan. I personally think this might be the way to go in a couple of years when they have been proven and gone down in price.

G
G
Fancy stoves are nice but the power fluctuations wreak havoc with them. I've had my Jennaire repaired twice...relays burnt out and digital touchpad fried. It's not easy to get parts as they come from the US. I've never had problems with them there for twenty five years, so it's not a stove issue. I love the downdraft vent for taking the heat out of the kitchen.
Next time it goes out I'm getting a simple Butane stove.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.