Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#434065 03/26/12 11:51 AM
OP Offline
From BBC Travel news posted this morning:

One million British travellers planning to fly to Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico this year face the risk of being turned away at the airport - at the insistence of the US Department of Homeland Security.

New rules require British Airways and other airlines flying to certain airports outside America to submit passengers' personal data to US authorities. The information is checked against a "No Fly" list containing tens of thousands of names. Even if the flight plan steers well clear of US territory, travellers whom the Americans regard as suspicious will be denied boarding.

Simon Hughes, the deputy leader of the Liberal Democrats, told The Independent: "The concern by the US for its own security is entirely understandable, but it seems to me it's a whole different issue that American wishes should determine the rights and choices of people travelling between two countries neither of which is the US."

For several years, every US-bound passenger has had to provide Advance Passenger Information (API) before departure. Washington has extended the obligation to air routes that over-fly US airspace, such as Heathrow to Mexico City or Gatwick to Havana.

Now the US is demanding passengers' full names, dates of birth and gender from airlines, at least 72 hour before departure from the UK to Canada. The initial requirement is for flights to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and the Nova Scotia capital, Halifax - 150 miles from the nearest US territory. A similar stipulation is expected soon for the main airports in western Canada, Vancouver and Calgary.

Any passenger who refuses to comply will be denied boarding. Those who do supply details may find their trip could be abruptly cancelled by the Department of Homeland Security, which says it will "ake boarding pass determinations up until the time a flight leaves the gate ... If a passenger successfully obtains a boarding pass, his/her name is not on the No Fly list." In other words, travellers cannot find out whether they will be accepted on board until they reach the airport.

Canadian Affair, the leading charter operator between Britain and Canada, began supplying the data a week ago and 13,500 of its clients have complied with the demands. None has so far refused to provide the information and no one has been refused boarding.

Air Canada and British said they would comply with any new rules and The Independent understands that they will join the scheme in April. Flights to Mexico and Cuba - the Caribbean island closest to the US - are also included.

The US will have full details of all British visitors to Cuba, including business travellers, which could potentially be used to identify people suspected of breaking America's draconian sanctions against the Castro regime.

Neil Taylor, a tour operator who pioneered tourism to Cuba, said: "Imagine if the Chinese were to ask for such data on all passengers to Taiwan, and similarly if the Saudis were to ask about flights to Israel - would the US government understand?

"One also has to wonder how an American traveller in Europe would react if he were denied boarding on a flight from London to Rome because the German government had not received sufficient data from him."

Tony Wheeler, founder of Lonely Planet travel guides, said "This extension of the rule to include flights that never enter US airspace is scarcely credible. What on earth right does the US have to ask for passenger information if you're flying London-Havana?"

NOW BOARDING: WHO IS AFFECTED?

725,000: Number of British visitors to Canada each year. Airports affected: Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and Halifax

300,000: Number of British visitors to Mexico each year. Airports affected: Mexico City and Cancun

160,000: Number of British visitors to Cuba each year. Airports affected: Havana, Varadero and Holguin

Ridiculous. Outlandish. Unthinkable. I can't think of any other word right now that can be posted on this board.

Change your Latitude
OP Offline
Sorry I quoted the wrong source - here is the link to the article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...ration-may-have-other-ideas-7584912.html

OP Offline
I'd encourage all the affected travelers to encourage their countries to inform them NOT to travel to the US because it's so damn dangerous.
The US Embassy posts stuff about the dangers of travel in otehr countries, but apparently every place in the US under a flight path is in imminent danger of being hit but a falling aircraft full of suicide bombers.

arrogant and stupid. This does nothing to enhance U.S. security, but plenty to ostracize what was once "the land of the free."

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
OP Offline
Land of the free by the Carib Sea - Belize!
All the more reason to come to visit or stay - if you can get here.

Could this herald the advent of better connections from Europe via Cuba ? Could be interesting!

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell

Could this herald the advent of better connections from Europe via Cuba ? Could be interesting!

Not a bad idea but is the airport in Cuba large enough for Jumbo jets?

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
It might even be a different story if the entire concept of airport screening was not such a FARSE. Consider where the TSA xray machine does not look and how much "stuff" could be hidden there. But Hey, most stupid government ideas will finally grow into empires.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
C
C
"Canadian Affair, the leading charter operator between Britain and Canada, began supplying the data a week ago and 13,500 of its clients have complied with the demands. None has so far refused to provide the information and no one has been refused boarding."

I know bashing America is popular here......but it appears there's really nothing to complain about.....If this were a real issue I'm sure the British government would be involved.....not just its constituents wink

OP Offline

Originally Posted by clover
I know bashing America is popular here......but it appears there's really nothing to complain about.....If this were a real issue I'm sure the British government would be involved.....not just its constituents wink

I do hope Clover is being droll.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.