Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#434151 - 03/27/12 01:50 PM Students Confident About PSE Performance
Marty Offline
7176 Students across the country sat Day 1 of the PSE today in 306 classrooms at 28 centers for the 274 primary schools with students taking the exam.

Day one was comprised of the English and Science sections.

It started at 8:15 and finished at 1:45. We waited to speak to a few of the city students when they finished at 1:45.

Carlos Mendoza, Hummingbird Elementary
"It was kind of hard, but more like challenging. Some questions were hard and some questions were easy."

Robin Schaffer
"For you?"

Joshua Pott, Hummingbird Elementary
"It really depended on how much you studied. If you barely study then of course it will be hard for you. If you studied a lot then it would be easy. I found it easy."

"The Science had questions that you really had to think about. The English was easy in terms of reading out the paragraphs and answering the questions."

Robin Schaffer
"How are you feeling?"

Carlos Mendoza, Hummingbird Elementary
"Relieve, I couldn't wait until I did this and then now I feel a lot better."

Joshua Pott, Hummingbird Elementary
"I am really so glad that I got out of that classroom. It was hard work."

Azizi Hoy, Hummingbird Elementary
"I thought I would be a little more nervous but I wasn't when I saw the questions in the test. So I felt relieve by the fact that I knew most of the answers."

"I didn't know what to expect today but after all the reviewing and the support from my teachers and parents and the students in my class, I feel like I did a good job."

Robin Schaffer
"Do you think it was hard?"

"Not really, most of the things that were in there were what we have reviewed over the past. The English was pretty easy. The Science wasn't difficult. It just had a few problems that you really had to think about."

Robin Schaffer
"How do you think you did overall?"

"I think I did good. I think my parents can be happy after today."

Robin Schaffer
"Did you find it hard?"

Zanalee Sinclair, Buttonwood Bay Nazarene Primary
"Nah, I think it was kinda challenging. But it was okay."

Robin Schaffer
"You think you studied enough for the exams today?"

"Yeah, they took away my phone for me to study."

Robin Schaffer
"So how do you feel now that the exam is over?"

"I feel great."

Courtney Staine, St. Joseph Primary
"At first I was nervous, but when I saw my friends also the nervousness went away and the invigilators were very nice. Science was hard but English was fairly easy."

Robin Schaffer
"How do you feel you did overall?"

Courtney Staine, St. Joseph Primary
"I think I did well."

Dylana Nicholas. St. Joseph Primary
"I feel good. It was kinda hard but all that the teachers had taught came back."

Robin Schaffer
"The next exams, how are you feeling about the upcoming PSE exams?"

"Nervous, very nervous."

Robin Schaffer
"Are you going to do any extra work before that?"

"Yes I will, a lot."

Christina Aldana, Holy Redeemer
"I can't say it was hard because I studied. I knew most of the questions but there were parts that were kind of difficult that I didn't really knew the answers to."

Robin Schaffer
"What part was that?"

"Mostly the Science. I am not a Science person."

Jenna Jones, Horizon Academy
"I didn't find it hard at all miss especially the letter and composition. There were two business letters this year, that's my strong point; letters and stories and I think I got high marks on those."

Robin Schaffer
"How do you think you did overall?"

Jenna Jones, Horizon Academy
"Overall, 90s."

"Me, hopefully 100s but I think 90s."

Now the students have to reload for Day 2 for PSE which is on Monday May 7, when they take Math and Social studies. 140 of the students taking the exam are registered as special needs candidates.

Channel 7

#434154 - 03/27/12 01:54 PM Re: Students Confident About PSE Performance [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Over 7,000 students sit P.S.E.

Today marks day one of the annual Primary School Examination. All across the country, thirty six high schools y are being used to host students from two hundred and seventy four primary schools. You may have noticed the smiling faces and the energy rushing out of the high schools as the primary school students ended their day in a new environment. According to Yvonne Davis, Principal Education Officer for National Exams, a total of three thousand five hundred and sixty two females and three thousand six hundred and fourteen males sat the first part of the exam.

Yvonne Davis, Principal Education Officer for National Exams

“Today is day one of P.S.E. for 2012 and the students from primary schools get to write two exams: English with two papers and Science, a multiple choice paper with fifty questions. As you know the P.S.E. is the end of primary school exam and it looks at the achievement levels of students coming out of the system. Along with the standard six students, we also have students who are looking for a second chance; those from some of the alternative institutions such as the YWCA and Friends Boys School and we have a number of private candidates sitting the test as well.”

Jose Sanchez

Yvonne Davis

“How many students you have more or less that signed up for today’s event?”

Yvonne Davis

“Today we have a registered count of seven thousand done hundred and seventy-six and this represents a four percent increase from last year.”

Jose Sanchez

“You have any reason for that account?”

Yvonne Davis

“I believe it’s just the movement of the population from time to time. We normally expect these numbers to go up each year and this year it did. We had a couple of years when the numbers went down, but this year it went up.”

Jose Sanchez

“Looking back at your statistics for last and previous years has anything been changed for administering exams this year or techniques teachers were given to assess or teach their students?”

Yvonne Davis

“Well the P.S.E. is a standardized exam in terms of the procedures we use. Every year it is the same standard procedures. The exam is administered at the secondary schools with permission from BAPSS, the Belize Association of Principals for Secondary Schools, they administer the exams for us and the procedures remain the same each year.”

On May seventh, standard six primary school students will sit for the second half of the P.S.E. Students will write Mathematics Paper One and Two. they will also complete the Social Studies Multiple Choice Paper which consists of fifty questions.

Channel 5

#434157 - 03/27/12 02:00 PM Re: Students Confident About PSE Performance [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Nerves frazzled as students sit the PSE

It’s an annual nerve-wracking day for the young standard six primary school students who make the yearly pilgrimage to test centers countrywide to sit the Primary School Examination (PSE). PlusNews was at the gate when the exams concluded at exactly 1:45pm and the relieved and excited children burst out of the classrooms toward the exit. A few of the students from various schools shared with us their feelings after the first phase of the PSE.

Julian Cruz, PlusTV Journalist
How did you find the PSE today?

Student
Easy.

Julian Cruz
What was easy about it? Was it that you were prepared, or is it that you are just a bright guy and you handled it well?

Student
I’m just a bright guy.

Julian Cruz
Although they were both easy, which one was the most challenging, the English or the Science?

Student
English, because of the composition. I’m not really good at writing.

Julian Cruz
But you feel that you were still well prepared all the same?

Student
Yes Sir.

Julian Cruz
You took the first stage of the PSE today, what was it like?

Student
It was easy.

Julian Cruz
Share a little more, why was it easy? The English was easy? The Science was easy?

Student
Yes, because I studied.

Julian Cruz
PSE is over, how was it?

Student
It was kind of challenging.

Julian Cruz
What did you find challenging?

Student
The English was a little difficult and a little bit easy.

Julian Cruz
Are you normally a good English student?

Student
Well not so much, but a little bit.

Julian Cruz
You also took the Science today, what was it like?

Student
It was a bit challenging too.

Julian Cruz
How did you find the PSE exams today?

Student
They were easy.

Julian Cruz
That’s good, why were they easy for you?

Student
Because some of the questions, I already knew.

Julian Cruz
How was the preparation? Did the teachers take enough time and prepare you for all the questions that came up?

Student
Yes Sir.

Julian Cruz
How did you find the PSE?

Student
Not difficult, but easy to understand.

Julian Cruz
Did you feel like your teachers spent enough time preparing you?

Student
Yes Sir.

Julian Cruz
Of the two, English and Science, which one do you enjoy doing more?

Student
Science, because it has more activities that I can understand.

Three of the young female students of Ontario Christian School shared also their experience with the Exam PSE.

Student
I don’t know, at first I was nervous, but then when I was in the examination room, I felt better.

Student
Well when I was coming from my house, I was nervous, but when I was sitting the PSE, I felt better.

Student
I was nervous when I was coming too, but now I feel better. I saw that the PSE was not hard, but it was easy.

Julian Cruz
Do you ladies feel that because you were prepared enough, you were able to handle it well?

Student
Yes.

Julian Cruz
Which one was easier for you, the Science or the English?

Student
The Science was easier.

Student
Me too.

Student
The both of them.

Julian Cruz
So you are expecting good results on the outcome, and after the second part of the PSE?

Student
Yes.

And Ruby Aldana a teacher at the Ontario Christian School told us how the children are prepared for the exams.

Julian Cruz
What kind of preparation did the children from your school go through to make sure that they were ready for the PSE?

Ruby Aldana, Teacher, Ontario Christian School
Well we had PSE topics that we were to cover and we would practice daily in class. They would get a lot of assignments, especially during the holidays and we also practiced with past PSE exams.

Julian Cruz
I understand that they did both English and Science today, majority of your students, do you think that they were more prepared for the Spanish or the English. What is your impression of them?

Ruby Aldana
Well the kids said that they were both easy; we will have to wait on the results, but I am confident that they did their very best.

There are 23 primary schools within the Belmopan zone and of the 598 students who registered to sit the exam in Belmopan 558 of them were present. The two test centers were the Belmopan Comprehensive High School and Our Lady of Guadalupe High School. A total of 7176 students registered for the PSE 2012 with 3562 females and 3614 males. This represents a 3.9% increase over the 2011 registration number. Day 2 of the exam takes place on Monday May 7, 2012.

PlusTV

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (KathyA), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,364 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.