Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The complaints in San Pedro have mostly been about terrible conditions of streets, and dust and poor beaches and dirty areas, but lately they have been about bars. The complaints are about noise pollution in some bars that are not sound proof, late opening hours and lately also the fact that prostitution is rampant and blatant in many bars on the island.

One caller to the radio morning show lamented: "I am disgusted that I am taking my children to school in the morning and we bump into these three prostitutes, half naked and drunk making a dirty scene right in front of their bar. My children have to put up with this and I must give explanations to them."

"But this and many other irregularities are going to stop," said Jennie Staines, Chairperson of the San Pedro Liquor Licensing Board. She explained that the committee, which includes the Mayor, is going to make some dramatic changes to solve these problems that have been plaguing San Pedro for ages.

"People will get mad at me, but I will do what the law and the act stipulate," she added. According to Jennie, the Liquor Licensing Board will demand that all bars with loud music systems be sound proof or they will be shut down if they do not comply. They will also see to it that not all bars repeatedly get extensions to open to very late hours. All bars must close down at midnight as is the law. Extension permits are a privilege and will be issued on special occasions, but not an automatic and constant procedure.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the Ambergris Today

Good work Jennie!!!
Keep at it.
Our police will tell you that the big trouble starts in the wee hours of the morning, mostly due to over-intoxication. Closing at midnight cuts back about 3 (or 5) hours of heavy drinking and probably quite a few violent misunderstandings will be avoided in the process.
Not to mention that we may end up with a town population that has had a decent night's sleep -- !!!
Jennie's got guts - go gyial go.

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Good work Jennie!!!
Keep at it.
Our police will tell you that the big trouble starts in the wee hours of the morning, mostly due to over-intoxication. Closing at midnight cuts back about 3 (or 5) hours of heavy drinking and probably quite a few violent misunderstandings will be avoided in the process.
Not to mention that we may end up with a town population that has had a decent night's sleep -- !!!
Jennie's got guts - go gyial go.
I agree; nothing good happens after midnight.....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
S
S
Is Big Daddy's and Jaguars also required to close at Midnight? Or are they exempt?

B
B
Daddy Rocks, Jaguars and I think Club Latino have night club licenses and can stay open to 2am. Everyone else is supposed to close at midnight unless they have a special extension (like Wet Willies on Wednesday nights).

I'm also told that Big Daddy's and Jaguar qualify for the extension because they are sound-proof.
Not sure about Club Latino.

S
S
Am thinking that not much good stuff is happening at Big Daddy's or Jaguars after midnight either... hmmm

S
S
I think this shows that the new Mayor is going to carry out his election manifesto. He said he was going to make a lot of changes to clean up the island, this is just the start. Traffic next????

Just "heard" that all grocery stores in San Pedro will be required to close on Good Friday as well. Can that be the case? I can't remember any day they closed without an active hurricane going on, and even then they sometimes stay open.

Change your Latitude
You can't sell alcohol on Good Friday. They may be open but just not selling booze. Legally, your supposed to take all the liquor off the premisis if you want to open, so some might not think it worth the hassle and just take the day off.

M
M
Does that apply if you are non catholic or is the government legislating all to comply with the religious beliefs of a religious minority?

Apparently the grocery stores that have liquor licenses cannot be counted on en masse to obey the law about not selling on certain days.
The ban on sales was not honored much on Election Day and therefore the board is just closing them down completely on Good Friday this time. It seems a little harsh to some, bit apparently it takes a loud stance to be heard.

Don't even get me started on Liquor Licence Laws!!!!

A
A
does anyone know the time that the ban is lifted? I have heard until 6 -but have also heard until 9. Anyone know the official time?

Great food + good company = great times, come join us at
Average Joe's Bar
www.facebook.com/ajsbelize
S
S
9PM Friday....

ALF Offline
I have to say - this sounds great! Having been coming to the island for 10 years now, I was deeply distressed at how prevalent the prostitutes had become - and really aggressive. It became actually unpleasant to try and go to the bars.

Gee.... I'll have to think of something....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.