Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#434802 - 04/04/12 02:31 PM Down and out in San Ignacio Town
Marty Offline

Located approx 10 miles from the Guatemalan border, San Ignacio and it’s across the river neighbor, Santa Elena make up the majority population of the Cayo district, Belizeís most historical district. Hot spots such as Tikal (2 hrs), Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM, 1.5 hrs) and various eco-tourism have made San Ignacio a must see destination for anyone coming to Belize. Granted they can steal themselves away from the coast for a couple days. I would recommend 3-4 days here to really take advantage of the abundance of excursions, tours, and wanderings. A sample of what can be had here is below.

• Barton Cave Creek- canoeing through a couple of the local rivers.
  • Mountain Pine Ridge- Bumpy ride showing off a cave, waterfall and relaxing secluded swimming spot.
  • Actun Tunichil Muknal or ATM
  • Tikal Tour- See the famous Guatemalan Mayan Ruin
  • Spanish Lookout- Mennonite Village- yes, there is a thriving Mennonite community in Belize.
  • Horseback riding
  • Birdseeing tours

Even though Belize can aptly be described as 3rd world, the tour prices definitely are not. Expect to pay upwards of $50 to $125 per person for most of the tours around here. You need to do some bargaining or vie for group discounting to save here. There are also tour alternatives to see out- see below info box.

TIP: Inquire with your concierge about alternatives to the expensive tours, some locals will do 1-off tours for a fraction of the tour operator prices. I found a taxi driver named Tosh willing to do a Mountain Pine Ridge tour at $125 USD for the entire day compared with paying $70 USD each for a Ĺ day through a tour company. When another couple joined this tour, our price dropped down to $85 USD

Suspension bridge connecting San Igancio and Santa Elena

San Ignacio also has some nicely priced guest houses and resorts that offer 1st world comfort at reasonable rates. I stayed at the Midas Resort. I was in one of their cabanas with hot showers, cable tv, and comfy beds, free wifi and breakfast for $64 USD a night excluding a 9% Belize govít tax. The property is 500 yards from the main river in San Ignacio and feels extremely secluded but is only a 10 minute walk to the main parts of town. If you want a more homely feel, you should check out Belize vacation rentals, there are some nice ones to be had and maybe you’ll find one that is a pre-fab Mennonite home (some of the best manufactured houses in the country)!!

The town itself is a quiet town and much like the country is a mix of cultures and heritages. It’s very easy to walk and you’ll notice heightened alerts for around AIDS messaging. Several walls are painted with various warnings and colorful advisories about the disease. I asked a couple doctors about the virus here and they said it represented less than 3% of the population and that teenage pregnancy was a larger threat. Other than that, there is not a whole lot to absorb your time in the town save for a couple good restaurants, Hannah’s (written locally as Ko Ox Han nah) being one that is referenced in every guide book and worth a visit.

Mennonite home in Spanish Lookout

Waterfall at the end of the Mountain Pine Ridge Tour

The 5000 stairs leading to the waterfall on the Mountain Pine Ridge Tour

Hannah's restaurant

The 2nd and only other bridge leading to Santa Elena

Welcome to San Ignacio

SOURCE

#434817 - 04/04/12 04:07 PM Re: Down and out in San Ignacio Town [Re: Marty]
collyk Offline
Interesting report. I was surprised by the information about HIV/AIDS. The last health report I have seen in Belize listed AIDS as the third leading cause of death in Belize - the first two being Diabetes and heart disease. It is true though that the known infection rate among adults is under 3% but that is not indicative of the true rate as testing still has a stigma associated with it. So, as always, using this as a bandwagon - if you're visiting Belize and you want to help, please consider bringing something light and life saving - condoms - to donate to our AIDS Commission. Thank you!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (dabunk), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.