Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Less than a month after taking office several Town Councils and the City Council have been firing or as they call it "reconstructing" their offices, leaving many without a job. Mayor Daniel Guerrero addressed the situation of firings at the Town Council.

"After elections we sat down and analyzed what was going on in the town council and decided that we needed to do some reconstruction in office," stated Mayor Guerrero.

Immediate replacements have been hired to fill up these positions since, according to Mayor Guerrero.

A total reshuffling of positions and jobs has taken place at the San Pedro Town Council and new personnel have been hired. Following are some of the changes:

Mayor's Assistance - Yolanda Paraham
Town Administrators Assistant - Lorna Vasquez
Housing and Planning - Candy Bradley
Cashier - Marion Mejia
Trade and Liquor & Property Evaluation- Wilbert Maga�a
Property Tax - Daniela Guerrero

CLICK HERE for the rest of the story in the Ambergris Today

The thin phonebook syndrome, nepotism is almost impossible to avoid.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
M
M
No its not.

S
S
No matter what Council or Government that is elected anywhere in the world, there is always some people that lose their jobs. There were some in the employ of the town council that were actively involved in campaigning for the opposition parties, so what did they expect to happen if their candidates did not win. If the PUP would have won we would have seen a total clean out of the town council except for the few pup's.
Any newly elected town council that does not reorganize the council office is not doing a good job, if it didn't work before you have to fix it, don't you?
Keep doing a great job Danny...... smile

M
M
So far I see improvements, no blowing trash on front street, no broken glass on front street and the dog poo has been cleaned up as well which are all good starts. My and Elbert's comments were pertaining to nepotism, he thinks it is unavoidable and I disagree. Not being involved in the inner workings of the town board I make no comment on firing but hiring needs to be based on qualifications rather than any other reason.
A gentle reminder to all our elected councilors and mayor that by law they have 90 days from election to release complete financial reports for the preceding year (2011) for themselves, and children living at home to show that they are not enriching themselves from their office. this is punishable by $10,000 fine and or jail. I am really hopeful all will comply and we can truly start a new day in San Pedro Town government and show the rest of the country that it is possible to have an honest government.

Elsa knew this was inevitable which is why she issued new employment contracts prior to the election, I presume those that are fired will have to paid in full for their employment contracts ??? which will be a nice handshake since it was only a few months ago they were given.

Gaz

S
S
it says "following are some of the changes"..does that mean the ones on the list are still employed ?

Is Marion still cashier ?

The wording could be better.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
Mike, what do you mean? 90 days to prove they are not enriching themselves in 2011? Didn't those elected, just become elected? Or do you mean to say, now that the elections are over, those that were in elected positions in 2011, have 90 days to prove they were not enriched by their office? And then, what does "enriched by their office" mean? Weren't any of them paid for their elected service? How would 'provided 2011 financials' prove that one way or another? If some were becoming illegally enriched, would they then put that illegal enrichment into their financial reporting?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

I had an appointment with Mayor Danny on Monday. Everyone at the Town Council was smiling and friendly. He saw me promptly at the correct time. The appointment was on the subject of property taxes for a client of mine. Problem solved in 30 seconds. He then spoke about other matters.

He said that tourism will be his number 1 priority and he understands that all of our islands various problems affect tourism adversely. He spoke for 30 minutes, I was impressed. Danny is not out to win any popularity contests, he seems determined to bring the island forward in a positive way. He is under no illusions as to how hard his job is and as far as I am concerned, despite my being a pre-election skeptic, he deserves the support of all thinking people.

I think over the coming months we will see many tangible improvements.

Mike, I have a big problem communicating my sense of humor and its a warped one .
The Mayor hiring his twin sister as property tax collector is blatant nepotism. Nepotism is defined favoritism granted to relatives regardless of merit.
Its against the law everywhere you look even the frigin Pope of Rome can't get away with, but in Belize people say 'Thin Phone Book'is justification.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 262 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.