Security Message
U.S. Embassy, Belmopan, Belize
March 14, 2012

Criminal Activity in Stann Creek District

This message is to inform U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Belize
to an increase in serious crime in the Stann Creek district,
particularly in the villages of Sittee River and Seine Bight. Several
U.S. citizen residents have been the victim of home invasion robberies
and assaults. Mango's Restaurant in Seine Bight, popular with U.S.
citizens, was the scene of a recent armed robbery and shooting.

At this time, there is no indication that U.S. citizens are being
specifically targeted; the victims appear to be targets of opportunity.
We remind travelers and residents to exercise caution when in unfamiliar
areas, and encourage you to be aware of your surroundings, and ensure
doors and windows are locked in your homes, hotel rooms, and cars.
Purses, bags, wallets, and other valuables should be kept secure whether
in public, in hotel rooms, or in a home. Residents who return home and
believe their house may have been broken into should not enter the home
until they are sure the scene is safe.

Report all crimes directly to the local Belize Police Department. U.S.
citizens should also report crimes to the U.S. Embassy by calling
+501-822-4011 during business hours or calling the duty officer
+501-610-5030 outside business hours. Alternatively, U.S. citizens may
report crimes via e-mail at [email protected]. The U.S. Embassy may
assist victims of crime in navigating the local criminal justice
process. Additionally, some victims of crime may be eligible for crime
victim assistance in the United States.

For the latest security information, U.S. citizens living and traveling
abroad should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular
Affairs Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current
Worldwide Caution, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, and health
information resources can be found. Up-to-date information on security
can also be obtained by calling
1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S. and Canada or, for inquirers in
other areas, by calling a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These
numbers are available from 8:00am to 8:00pm Eastern Time, Monday through
Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

U.S. citizens living in or traveling to Belize are encouraged to
register with the U.S. Embassy through the State Department's Smart
Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) website at:

https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/

By enrolling, U.S. citizens can obtain updated information on travel and
security within Belize, and make it easier for the Embassy to contact
them in case of emergency. U.S. citizens without Internet access may
register directly with the embassy.

The U.S. Embassy is located at #4 Floral Park Road, Belmopan City,
Belize; Tel: 501-822-4011 8:00am to 5:00pm-or for emergencies after
hours, weekends, and holidays at 501-610-5030, Fax: 501-822-4050;
E-mail: [email protected]; Website:
https://Belize.usembassy.state.gov.

Regards,

American Citizen Services
Embassy of the United States
Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
Tel: 501-822-4011, ext. 4225 or 4226
Fax: 501-822-4050
[email protected]

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

This bothers a bit due to the fact that a newly deceased friend of mine has two twenty something daughters that are leaving Monday for a two week backpack adventure to Belize. The latter part on the mainland. They have never been there or really anywhere out of the USA. And, they know it ALL!

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
S
S
I havent posted here in quite a while, but I feel compelled to do so now. I spend 6 weeks or so in Belize every year fishing. The last year i fished mostly in the Placencia area but i also spent a week with friends in San Pedro. I can't tell what night this occurred but I was almost at Mangos on the night of the 11th. My fishing guide had loaned his car out so we had no ride up to Sceine Bight. All this could be marked up to coincidence except On Sunday the 18th pirates boarded a tourist Moorings yacht stabbing two people and raping a woman. This occured not to far away in the Pelican Cayes. Another coincidence you might say except these tourists were my friends and my wife and I had turned down an invitation to take that trip.

Here is my dilemma. I know from previous experience that people on this board don't like to talk about this stuff because it hurts tourism. I understand that as I have friends in belize depending on tourist dollars to make a living. Here is the problem. There is no doubt in my mind that someone knows who these assailants are. I fear that the police and the government will do what they usually do and sweep it under the rug.

it is very interesting to me that there has been no discussion of these incidences on this board. They are just treated a news items. People in belize need to openly address this issue.

In answer to the poster above......would I let my twenty something daughter roam around belize with another young girl? Hell no! Buy them a ticket to New Zealand instead!

"it is very interesting to me that there has been no discussion of these incidences on this board. They are just treated a news items. People in belize need to openly address this issue."

I'm sure you can expect a comment from the liberal ladies on board that "what do you expect there is crime everywhere" and "one must feel for the poor in undeveloped countries they just want a piece of the pie."
Cops are as crooked as the perps.
I'm here six months of the year, as you might NOT expect, and when I'm here I'm packin'.

C
C
Sorry to reply to an old post but my husband is from Napa California. So I listen to local news while visiting his family, Oakland has the same population of Belize. They have about 10 horrific crimes a day. The crime in most any city is 40% more than here. We get mabe 10 horrific crimes a year. Then a probably a hundred or two so small crimes. Then yes lots of petty crimes. The problem is everything makes the news as its such a small country.
So much safer than Oakland, Paris, Any Mexican City. Honolulu, Tokyo, Jamaca, New York City. Sacremento, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice..Yosimite National Park...I am going on population to crime. If we have 300 thosand residents and 900 crimes a year and the above places have 3000 thousand residents in the city alone and over 5000 crimes a year, then what is safer.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Cooper #434018 03/26/12 01:09 AM
S
S
Cooper......that old argument just doesnt hold water. Your stats are probably accurate, but the idea that Belize is safer is a little more complicated. Oakland, Mexico City, and others you mentioned do have a higher crime rate. But I'm not going to take my family on vacation to any of these places. We are not talking about petty crime here. we are talking about stabbing, brutal beatings and RAPE. These are some sick puppies that need to be dealt with. As a visitor to Belize I can't come "packing". I have to depend on the good people to come to my rescue in case of an event like this. I have talked to some business people in Placencia that are of the opinion that this is going to have to be treated as an international incident before Belizian authorities will address the issue. I have been reading various cruising(sailing) forums and the cruising community is taking this very seriously. I have sailed in many areas of the world and have always been aware of piracy. People I sail with usually have some sort of plan to deal with something like this. Tourists have no such plan. Belize is a small country, therefore crimes of this nature are magnified. The fact that I was so close to being involved in two of these episodes says a lot about how small Belize really is. I'm not easily scared but this has gotten my attention. If I didn't like the people in belize i would have never bothered to post in this forum. In this case it is my opinion that sticking one's head in the sand is the wrong thing to do. I think people should be up in arms about this.

by the way......I have some of your beautiful artwork here in my house in the states.

Cooper #434939 04/05/12 12:44 PM
I live in Oakland (a city of 400,000 by the way, which is ~130% the population of Belize), and it's far from the crime-ridden city many presume it to be, based upon media sensationalism. It's true that Oakland has a much more diverse population that the surrounding cities, which seems to make those usually white, elitists a bit nervous - and with that comes the token bad press in the corporate media. But to say that Oakland has "about 10 horrific crimes a day" is just flatly incorrect. Like anywhere, there are good and bad places - fwiw, I feel much safer in most of Oakland than I did in Belize City, or even in certain parts of San Pedro after dark.
Oakland is a beautiful city, full of incredible people of all stripes, with amazing weather, restaurants, history, museums, art displays, artists, musicians, performers, innovators, and just great people - don't believe the hype! Consider the source, etc. (now Oakland's city government - those folks are likely guilty of at least 10 "horrific crimes" each day, it would seem, but that's another story.) Oakland has one of the lowest police to citizen ratio for a major city, with just 636 sworn officers, that works out to 1 officer for every ~640 citizens - compare that to San Francisco which lies just over the Bay Bride = 1 officer to every 335 citizens. According to the Belize Police dep't website, the Belize PD has a force of 1200 sworn officers.

Rykat #434959 04/05/12 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Rykat
"it is very interesting to me that there has been no discussion of these incidences on this board. They are just treated a news items. People in belize need to openly address this issue."

I'm sure you can expect a comment from the liberal ladies on board that "what do you expect there is crime everywhere" and "one must feel for the poor in undeveloped countries they just want a piece of the pie."
Cops are as crooked as the perps.
I'm here six months of the year, as you might NOT expect, and when I'm here I'm packin'.

I do not understand why you insist on labeling everything. Was it really necessary to use the words "liberal ladies"?

C
C
Good ole' Uncle Sam! The victims of home invasions are stated to be US Citizen Residents, people living in Belize, not visitors. Maybe it should be a RESIDENT warning?

I do agree with the statement of common sense, don't leave it at Immigration!

When the common practice is to yank tourists off buses, then I would be concerned.

Does Washington DC get travel warnings?

Anal smoke is showing Bing...put a cork in it! grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.