Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The San Pedro Police Department is reiterating that there should be no alcohol sold on Good Friday.

According to the Intoxicating Liquor Licensing Act Chapter 150 of the Laws of Belize section 27 states that:

1. (a) all licensed premises in which liquor is sold under a publican's general license shall be closed - on Christmas Day and Good Friday;
2. (a) All licensed premises in which liquor is sold under a malt liquor and cider license shall be closed - on Christmas Day and Good Friday
3. Any person who during the times at which any licensed premises are required by this section to be closed
(a) sells or exposes for sale in such premises any liquor; or
(b) opens or keeps open such premises for the sale of liquor; or
(c) allows any liquor, although purchased before the hours of closing, to be consumed on such premises, is guilty of an offense

Click here for the rest of the story in the San Pedro Sun

L
L
While I understand the religious significance of Good Friday and the Easter holiday, restricting the sale of adult beverages during a prime tourist time...not to mention lots of locals out and traveling, seems like a lot of lost revenue that businesses and working folk on the island would certainly appreciate.

Hope they all get out and enjoy the Church of the Blue Sky, my favorite "church". smile

That is the law of Belize. And, if tourist do not like it they should go elswhere and if the people of Belize do not like it they should change the law. IMO, there are too many laws that people of Belize choose to abide by or ignore. Not to mention the ones tourists do or do not. sick

L
L
Yes, I realize that is the law and if I had a trip planned, I wouldn't go elsewhere just because I think it is a stoopid law. smile

I regret laws being imposed on people based on somes religeous beliefs. But I also regret people thinking those laws should not be enforced. Yes, they might be "stupid" in ones interpretation, but that does not entitle one to choose or decide what laws they wish to abide by or which should be enforced - especially if they are a guest in that country.
And further, I don't think people in their own country should be able to choose which laws they abide by based on their own needs or finacial interests.

Last edited by bywarren; 04/05/12 09:39 PM.
T
T
Every Sunday you can't buy alcohol in Mexico. Many states have laws that prohibit sales on days and times. Drink at home. There's lots of tourist all over the world this time of year...

S
S
And many restaurants and businesses will be closed, due to this law and the required double (or may even be triple) employee pay, there will be very few options for tourists to do anything, some which may not even recognize the holiday.

Just sad to see revenue lost for many that desperately need it as well as disappointed tourists just trying to enjoy their holiday.....

Pretty sure that at least the soundproof nightclubs (like Jaguars and Big Daddy's) will still be open at all hours of the night.....

K
K
OH GEEZ--just ask what the deal is. We were down last year over Easter-actually didn't realize it when I booked(my bad). 12 years of trips, I've never seen a happier, more vibrant San Pedro. The kids that were out, the folks from the main land,it was cool. Get a bottle/case and sit out and enjoy it.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Ultimately it is the local businesses such as the bars and restaurants that lose revenue on one of the busiest tourism days of the year. This antiquated law could have been amended years ago if the Minister of Tourism had the foresight to work with the Cabinet in changing it. This is the epitome of mixing Church and Government. If businesses and/or individuals choose to religiously recognize Good Friday then so be it...but to mandate this "belief" on an economy that literately counts the days of tourism dollars it is a significant loss financially while forcing secular beliefs on the entire community.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
San Pedro Town Council Good Friday Controversy with Police

There is a standoff tonight between the San Pedro Police Department and the San Pedro Town Council over the sale of alcohol on Good Friday. The Town Council has advised business establishments that they can resume selling alcohol as of nine o'clock on Friday night. But that does not sit well with the officer commanding the San Pedro Police Formation, Assistant Superintendent Vienie Robinson, who says it's against the law. The O.C. contends that as far as the law is concerned, Good Friday ends at midnight and there is no provision that allows for the sale of alcohol before that time. Robinson warned that the police will be conducting sting operations with spontaneous spot checks and that if any establishment is caught breaking the law, it will be shut down immediately. The business owners, according to Robinson, will also be detained for the weekend pending charges on Tuesday. San Pedro Mayor, Daniel Guerrero, says that the council got permission from Minister of Tourism and Area Representative Manuel Heredia to allow establishments to sell alcohol starting at nine p.m. The San Pedro Town Council maintains that the dry-law will hurt the income of establishments on the island. But no one, so far, is complaining about Easter being celebrated as a religious holiday.

Channel 7

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.