Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cooper Offline OP
OP Offline
C
All seems very calm tonite on Caye Caulker, in the past on good Friday you could not by alcohol until 6 p.m. All good and respectful. Last minute today the Police came around with orders not to serve alcohol until midnight. Thus cancelling Easter Partys. Understanding the Police with the troubles we have had on Caye Caulker, a quiet night is so welcomed. However the storm will be coming tomorow night as all the visiting locals tourist etc. will be in force. Half of them would have been taken out tonite by drinking to much. Now all and everyone will be out to make up for it tomorrow. Perhaps the Police know this and just wanted a night to rest and gear up, still restaurants, vendors etc lost alot of money, a big lot of money.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
M
M
Apparently the ban on sale of alcohol on Xmas and good friday is the law of the land. The officers were only enforcing the law...even in SP.

The Officer Commanding the San Pedro Police Station upheld and enforced the law today, Good Friday, when a team of police officers descended on businesses that are holders of liquor license and were open for business. The special operation started sometime around 2PM headed by Assistant Superintendent of Police Vienie Robinson. Known for her "no-nonsense" attitude, ASP Robinson informed the representatives/business owners that it was an offense to be open for business on Good Friday.
According to the Intoxicating Liquor Licensing Act Chapter 150 of the Laws of Belize section 27 states that:
1. (a) all licensed premises in which liquor is sold under a publican's general license shall be closed - on Christmas Day and Good Friday;
2. (a) All licensed premises in which liquor is sold under a malt liquor and cider license shall be closed - on Christmas Day and Good Friday
3. Any person who during the times at which any licensed premises are required by this section to be closed (a) sells or exposes for sale in such premises any liquor; or
(b) opens or keeps open such premises for the sale of liquor; or
(c) allows any liquor, although purchased before the hours of closing, to be consumed on such premises, is guilty of an offence"
ASP Robinson told The San Pedro Sun that she duly gave warning to the business community about the laws. "Absolutely no one is above the law. I am here to enforce the law and as such that is what we are doing. They [the business owners] are well aware of the law and it clearly states that no holder of a liquor license will be open for business on Good Friday. What is not clear about that law?" said a determined ASP Robinson.
While the drastic enforcement of the law did not sit well with business owners, members of the public stopped and congratulated ASP Robinson as she was out enforcing it. The team of officers ensured that the store representatives/owners were informed of their offence and were also informed of the course of action that would be taken. As such the stores were promptly closed in the presence of the officers.

C
Cooper Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Mike, I have met you and thought you and your wife to be great people. You need to read post. Your replys seem to be overdone with no real sense of what was said. Like the post you made regarding the Tyson Williams shooting, when you insisted he said he was shot from 200 yrds away, mabe you cant read creole, but he said in his report that shot missed, yet you went on saying he did not say that,BUT HE DID SAY THE SHOT MISSED. and it did.
Now you are going on about the non-sale of liquor and again you have it wrong.
It has always been no liquor sold until 6pm on Good Friday, Christmas and Election Days, your argument is no argument. Knowone has a problem with the 6 pm rule, its a good thing, but when a small community counts so much on income From this weekend and last minute to pull the plug for the whole night without much notice, some restaurants were not even informed. You are not even in Belize!!! These restaurants purchased extra goods to cover Friday night.
I myself have been quilty of posting thoughts not thought out, my work permit post a few months ago still makes me hang my head in shame.You really need to read the post a few times, go to bed and wake up and then reply. Because you are becoming outragous, The advice I give is advice I am taking myself.
Again you can post all the statments from officials you want, but since you are not here you dont really know that many restaurants were not informed the 6 pm curfew was changed.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
M
M
Deb,

Those are not my words...the article was copied from San Pedro Sun. I was simply passing along the laws regarding these holidays and why the officers acted as they did. Please do not judge me by what others say.

Interesting piece Mike, thanks for sharing. A couple of comments,

While the drastic enforcement of the law did not sit well with business owners
I'll bet. I'm not sure what the owners expected. Simply open business as usual and flaunt it? Don't like the law? Change it...they'd proabably find enough support to do so.

The team of officers ensured that the store representatives/owners were informed of their offence and were also informed of the course of action that would be taken. As such the stores were promptly closed in the presence of the officers.
To me this is simply the right way to handle the siutation. I suppose the owners could take heart in the fact that they dont operate in California...probably an immediate closure, a stiff fine, with a suspension to operate until a hearing "next month" to either clear it or have their license revoked.

Mike, did you ever hear how San Ignacio TC ultimately handled the closure issue? I know that they had promised to "handle the matter" but never heard how. If its a national law I fail to see how a town council could be less stringent.

I am certainly opposed to laws based on a certain religeon's beliefs that dictate everyones personal behavior. Having said that, it is interesting how many people are upset over this one law and choose to ignore it and how many other laws in Belize are ignored without such expressed opposition.
I guess some people are not consistant in their positions. I know I am. Especially when alcohol is involved. I tend to state my position over and over again.

Originally Posted by bywarren
I am certainly opposed to laws based on a certain religeon's beliefs that dictate everyones personal behavior...I guess some people are not consistant in their positions. I know I am. Especially when alcohol is involved. I tend to state my position over and over again.

For some reason BeDub I surmise you would not choose the Muslim faith but I suspect you do similarly practice your position the requisite 5 times daily...

You are somewhat correct. I do not practice Muslim. Most days five times is not enough.

E
E
Aw geeze.............. somebody's nose is growing grin

Ernie, did you follow thorugh and get those wisdom teeth pulled? Just curious what powers you gained as a result, well, thought you gained at any rate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day