FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 7
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

CZMAI discuss National Coastal Zone Management Plan
The Coastal Zone Management Authority and Institute (CZMAI) hosted a public consultation on Thursday, March 29th where they discussed various sections of the Belize Integrated Coastal Zone Management Plan. Mandated under Coastal Zone Management Act, the plan determines the suitability of coastal land use and outlines recommendations for sustainable development along the entire coastal zone in Belize. While still in its consultation stage, when completed the management plan will include the first three kilometers inland from the coastline of Belize and all cayes. The Integrated Management plan is divided into ten areas and looks at three scenarios of development over a 15 year period. One of the ten areas is Ambergris Caye and encompasses the entire island and flats around, mangroves swamps, inland lagoons, the reef directly in front of the island and the seabed around the caye. According to the Chief Executive Officer of CZMAI Vincent Gillett, Ambergris Caye is a little ahead of other areas since the San Pedro Master Plan will be integrated into the Belize Integrated Coastal Zone Management Plan. According to Gillett, there are important factors for Ambergris Caye being considered in terms of development, tourism inflows, increase in population, impacts of development, degradation of critical habitat, plan of resource use and available infrastructure and planned development.

Misc Belizean Sources

VIDEO: Impromtu Day Sail Charter
From San Pedro to Hol Chan, Coral Gardens, Caye Caulker- The Split. A great day aboard Impromtu comes to an end at sunset. Thanks for sailing with us come back and see us here on the Belize Barrier Reef.

VIDEO: Impromtu Private Charter Dive
Join Wade, Lauren, Beth and Josh as they Day Sail To Caye Caulker aboard Ecologic Divers 50' luxury catamaran Impromtu. We stop at Hol Cham Marine Reserve for a dive with Spotted Eagle Rays, Turtles, Sting Ray and more. Hol Chan, Mayan defintion, Little Channel has 160 species of fish which have been identified here.

VIDEO: Private Charter Impromtu
Aboard the 50' luxury catamaran Impromtu for a day sail to Caye Caulker with stops at Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Come aboard and have a look

VIDEO: 84th Annual Belize Cycling Classic Finish Line - 2012
The Finishing of the 84th Annual Belize Cross Country Cycling Classic. Finally Belizean, Giovanni Choto, Brandon Cattouse and Darnel Barrow has disrutpted the 6 year winning streak by foreign riders and has won 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively.

PHOTOS: Rumors Resort's Easter Egg Hunt
Happy Easter! Rumors Resort had an Easter egg hunt today. "Our Easter Egg Hunt was truly fun-filled. It was a pleasure putting up smiled on the faces of all the kids who showed up. They really did enjoy it. We hereby Thanks the sponsorship of Recinos Imports, San Cas Distributors & Rick Paley for making this event possible and memorable for the kids of our community. THANK YOU SO MUCH."

Blogs

Two very different birthday celebrations
My birthday was yesterday, and I chose one of my very favorite places to go for dinner here on Ambergris Caye, Aji. Neither Barry nor I had any desire to go into town, since we knew it would be packed with tourists and locals partying like crazy for Easter weekend. Every now and then we enjoy that type of atmosphere, but those times are few and far between as we've gotten older. Normally we prefer quiet and peaceful to noisy and rowdy -- maybe we get that from living in the woods on acreage for so many years. Aji definitely provided the quiet and peaceful setting we craved, and it was a perfect night with gentle ocean breezes and no bugs. An added plus is that we can so easily walk there as it's just a couple hundred yards up the beach from our condo. And since I didn't have to ride my bike to get there, I could wear a dress.

Scratching the Surface on Easter Saturday: Lion's Den, The Hotel, Palapa Bar and Dancing to Sinkronia at Wet Willy's
Yesterday, Easter Saturday, might have been the most happening day of the year in a town where something is always happening. There were tons of beach parties, DJs, visiting performers, bands, fundraisers...with all of these choices...where does one begin? The choice was easy. The Pancake Breakfast at the Lion's Den. Plus, it was my only chance to see the Easter Bunny. Warning: This post is almost as long as my day! The event was scheduled from 10am to 1pm. I arrived at 11:30am (normally considered "right on time" in Belize) to find that most of the kids had already been there and left. They ate their candy, got their prizes, posed with the bunny, inhaled their pancakes and had their faces painted by Melody. Apparently, there was a huge line to get in at 10 and the breakfast was a screaming success. Oh well...the Easter Bunny was just wrapping up her shift and had to take a phone call. Wait one second...that's Mel Spain wearing that heavy felted suit as the temperature neared 90. That is dedication.

Easter on Caye Caulker 2012
This year’s Easters festivities were far the best that I have ever experienced in all my many years on this beautiful island. It was a combination of factors … both the Split’s entertainment and Easter Temptation were excellent, the energy on Caye Caulker was a positive one and all were here to have fun, not to give trouble. The police presence was a positive and well organized and of course, the those whose responsibility was to keep our island clean worked hard at doing that!! The Lobsterfest Committee need to be applauded for their Easter Temptation leaving us to only wonder how good this year’s Lobsterfest will be!!! The venue was attractively put together, the line up kept everyone dancing all weekend long and their selection of games innovative and onlookers enjoyed them immensely. Raggamuffin sponsored the cash prize for the greasy pole – Ish did a fantastic job at the ‘bottom man’ but unfortunately his team was not the eventual winners. The Split were not to be defeated and the new beach had three tents, a second Heinekan bar and even additional toilets for the event. This was definitely the location to be during the day yesterday as Electosounds played for the island – the surrounding water acting as a fantastic way to beat the heat whilst enjoy the party! Congratulations to all involved in this Easter’s celebrations – roll on Lobsterfest 2012 – it just cannot come quick enough!!