Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#435513 - 04/12/12 03:04 PM Youths Feed Homeless
Marty Offline

A youth organization is completing its second annual Easter project - and this year it is feeding the homeless. Youths Creating Talent is an organization created and run entirely by youths, and instead of spending the Easter relaxing under the sun, they have been serving food to homeless people in Battlefield Park.

Today they served 130 plates of food, and Justin Gill, the founder of the organization, told us what made them take the initiative.

Justin Gill - Founder, Youths Creating Talent
"This is our second annual Easter project, where we have assisted 60 homeless of Belize City, giving them the privilege to have a nice breakfast, lunch and supper for the Easter season. Many times, I walk on the street, and they see me; they look at me. They ask me for something to eat; they don't have anything, and I know what it's like not eating. For the whole Easter, we know that everybody usually go out to try to enjoy themselves, and nobody is here. We know that Easter is very hot, and you could get dehydrated, so that is when we try to come out and give them food. We give them something to drink, to cool them down, so that they themself could have a very nice Easter too. So far, we have given out more than 200 plates of food from the past days that we have been assisting these homeless. This morning, we assisted 70 people with breakfast, and for this afternoon, we have assisted 60 people with dinner."

Tomorrow is the last day of the project, and by then, they will have given away about 300 plates of food.

Channel 7

#435641 - 04/13/12 02:04 PM Re: Youths Feed Homeless [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Local Youth Organization feeds the homeless

Belize City Mayor Darrell Bradley announced while unveiling his hundred day plan on Wednesday that the council is working with the Kolbe Foundation to find a way to house the homeless persons from Belize City. Before that happens, however, for the past several days, the homeless in the downtown area have been treated to hot meals by group of city youths. You may not be familiar with the Youths Creating Talent organization, but their Easter project is a first step to change that. The group was founded in 2009 by Justin Gill and now has twenty-nine youth members. They volunteered over the holiday weekend to provide three meals a day to homeless persons, particularly those in the Battlefield Park. Gill told News Five on Wednesday that had great support to make the initiative a success.

Justin Gill, Youth Coordinator/Facilitator, Youths Creating Talent

“We have decided to assist sixty homeless of Belize City for Easter by giving them a full fresh meal; breakfast, lunch and supper as well as refreshing drinks, coffee etcetera.”

Delahnie Bain

Justin Gill

“And you all did this throughout the Easter holiday?”

Justin Gill

“Throughout the Easter holiday; the last of it will be tomorrow.”

Delahnie Bain

“Okay, you guys are a relatively young organization; how did you manage to get the support to carry out this activity?”

Justin Gill

“We, to carry out our project it took a lot of work. We had started to prepare for this project from February and I have to send my sincere gratitude to the people of Garden City as well as all those within the city limits that supported and contributed to our project; to our main sponsors Smart and Belize Water Services and I would also like to thank the people of the Caye and San Pedro for giving their support to this project.”

Delahnie Bain

“Can you tell us a bit about how you all came up with the idea?”

Justin Gill

“Well, from 2009 we opened the organization and we did the project in 2009. We decided to do it again because we’re a very young organization and we want to get out in the field to get more known and we thought that this Easter project would the first project for us to get out there in terms of showing the people what some of the youths of Belize City are trying to do. Today was a real hectic day because we went to the Battlefield Park and from there we had some food left and we had to walk to find those sleeping on Queen Street by the police station etcetera.”

The initiative is planned to continue annually. Youths Creating Talent is now in the planning phase of a “Runway Project” that will include several activities.

Channel 5

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,055 Topics
462,292 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.