Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#43604 - 08/30/01 09:17 PM Diving certification
whynot Offline
We are going to do our referral dive in Belize -- any recommendations for a dive master? Safety is our first concern. We have completed classroom and pool part of certification in the states. Thanks!

#43605 - 08/30/01 09:32 PM Re: Diving certification
BillandJeanne Offline
Oh Boy, what a touchy subject!
You should do a search for diving on the message board. It'll take you days to get through all the results!

[This message has been edited by BillandJeanne (edited 08-30-2001).]

#43606 - 08/30/01 09:48 PM Re: Diving certification
kathyw Offline
I was certified by Grant at Amigos Del Mar. He is a great teacher and makes you feel very comfortable in the water. You won't be disappointed

#43607 - 08/30/01 10:16 PM Re: Diving certification
barefoot Offline

You didn't mention when you are coming. What we would suggest is email some of the dive shops for information and then visit them in person BEFORE making your decision. You are the only one that can make the determination of your level of comfort. By visiting the dive shop, interviewing the dive instructor, seeing the dive boats, inspecting the equipment and seeing the overall operation you will be able to see with your own eyes the level and role safety plays within each dive shop. There has been a lot of controversy concerning the level of safety of diving in Belize lately and many comments have not been accurate nor have they been fair. We encourage you to research and utilize the information found on this board as it is very valuable and useful. But use the information for what it is. Other peoples opinions and views. Please do not lock yourself into a dive shop before you visit them personally. What you read on a website or on email may not be what you find once you get here. You wouldn't hire a childcare giver without an interview or have surgery without meeting the surgeon. Don't learn to dive without first meeting and feeling comfortable with the dive instructor and the dive shop he/she is affiliated with. Always put your safety and comfort first.

Mike & Dawn O'Connor www.barefootwatersports.net

#43608 - 08/30/01 11:53 PM Re: Diving certification
kimberly matson Offline
I did my open water certification with Sylvan Forman (sp?) He works out of the Coral Beach Dive Shop. I had taken diving at the YMCA many, many years before (in my teens, then never dove). I retook the PADI course in Kansas. Wanted to do the open water in water I could actually see in. Mr. Forman was very thorough and precise. He didn't let me slide on anything. Even though I have REALLY bad vision, I still had to find my mask and weight belt. He is a stickler for details. You better know your dive tables. I have referred friends to him and dove with them afer and felt that he taught them well. Consider him as a potential instructor. I doubt that you will be disappointed.

#43609 - 08/31/01 08:05 AM Re: Diving certification
jaffa Offline
I would reccommend checking out Rudy at Bottom Time Dive Shop. We were in Belize the end of Last November and dove with Rudy. We had a wonderful time. He went out of his way to point out underwater creatures and made the dives really enjoyable. I never really see Bottom Time Dive Shop mentioned on the board and cannot understand why?

#43610 - 08/31/01 10:17 AM Re: Diving certification
JMK Offline
Why Not,

I completely agree with Barefoot that you should visit a few dive shops and meet with a couple instructors... talk to them and let them know any concerns you have. It is so important to feel safe and comfortable with your dive instructor. I got certified in the Bay Islands off of Honduras and in retrospect I had a miserable time with my instructor. I am a bit of a nervous diver and I really felt that I was irritating her with my questions and concerns. Not really sure why I stayed on with her but I did. When I was in San Pedro it was my first time diving since my certification and I really wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before I jumped in with a group. Rick at Ramon's dive shop paired me up with Carlos and I can't say enough good things about him. He was watching me the whole time and really helped me feel comfortable during my first few dives. Later in the week, my boyfriend dove the Blue Hole and I stayed back at Ramon's. I had actually never done a dive without him as my buddy but Carlos made me feel sooo comfortable that I went for the first time without him.

Good luck and be safe!

#43611 - 08/31/01 10:20 AM Re: Diving certification
Sandshaker Offline
There is lots to choose from. Wow

Grant is good at Amigos.....Rudy from Bottom Time is good...very calm guy....made most of my dives in Belize with him.

Mike and Dawn at Barefoot can hook you up too.

There are some good freelancers too....a guy named Jim...ex-Cannibals owner....think you can book him out of Blue Hole Divers on Front Street. Also a guy named Roland....very laid back, calm British guy...call him on his cell phone when you get there...014-4520.

Shop around....can't go wrong with any of these.

Have a safe and fun trip!
Happy Diving!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (pamkillen, debbief, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,739 Topics
461,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.