Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#436339 - 04/23/12 08:53 AM Weather Shift, Early Morning Groceries & New fruit
Marty Offline

I woke up early this morning to thunder rumbling. Way too early...it was still dark. The weather was definitely changing and I was expecting there to be rain when dawn broke. But no...the wind has shifted. Blowing from the lagoon side, it is a cooler, cloudless blue day. The humidity is incredibly low. 55%! And the sea is perfectly flat.

I headed over to Marina's Store, probably the busiest supermarket on the island. Though it can be a bit crowded...the aisles are very tight, the food turnover is high and the prices are cheap. Marina's sells mostly local food, the basics and lots of beers. No matter what time of day, you'll see some guys sitting out front drinking a few stouts. And you'll encounter a good sized dog pack that seems to hang out here.

Marina's also sells coffee and breakfast items early in the morning. The johnny cakes are cheap and tasty. This stuff is gone by 8am.

For my bug spray, I went across the street to Super Buy South. Larger, air conditioned and more expensive, I stop by Super Buy for the things I can't find at Marina's. But fruit and vegetables? I wouldn't get them here...the meats appear to have spent a LONG time in the deep freeze.

On my way home, I spotted two mysterious fruits at a veggie stand. The teenaged boy manning the booth didn't speak any English but I'm pretty sure he was telling me to try the big prickly green one and not the little waxy one (on the left).

Sure...why not? But I didn't get the name and so far, I am scared to try it. I like to look odd edibles up first to learn important facts like "the seeds are poisonous"...

If you know what this prickly fruit is (turns out to be soursop) ...please comment on the blog. I'll report back on what's inside...

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on San Pedro Scoop

#436347 - 04/23/12 10:26 AM Re: Weather Shift, Early Morning Groceries & New fruit [Re: Marty]
collyk Offline
That waxy fruit is called rose apples.
Belize Wedding Photography

#436349 - 04/23/12 10:37 AM Re: Weather Shift, Early Morning Groceries & New fruit [Re: Marty]
Judyann H. Offline
The large prickly ones look like Sour Sop to me....Here is the recipe I use....I got it on line so I can't take credit....

Soursop is a common ingredient for making fresh fruit juices that are sold by street food vendors. Try out this soursop juice
Ingredients for soursop juice:
- 250 g soursop
- 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk white
- 500 ml ice water
How to make soursop juice:

1. Remove the soursop seeds, reserving the meat.
2. Enter the soursop, vanilla syrup, sweetened condensed milk
and water ice into the blender bowl.
4. Blend until all the dough together.
5. Pour into serving glasses. Serve immediately.

Edited by Judyann H. (04/23/12 10:50 AM)
My friends call me Judyann

#436369 - 04/23/12 12:38 PM Re: Weather Shift, Early Morning Groceries & New fruit [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
We call the waxy one Wax Jamba. Keedp them in refrigerator and eat in hand. Nice substitute for apples - very crispy and juicey.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#436376 - 04/23/12 02:12 PM Re: Weather Shift, Early Morning Groceries & New fruit [Re: Marty]
Dane Offline
Traditional recipe. Take the white pulp and put in a bowl with an inch of water.squeeze the mass until all the big blackseeds pop out.
Cover half with water and squeeze out the juice like a sponge. Repeat.
Toss out the fibery white mass.
Mix that juice with sweetened condensed milk and it will make the milk thicken like a milkshake. Cool inna de icebox.
There is a mild tranquilizer in the juice that is reputed to be habitforming. You need to drink about a quart to notice an effect.
In Jamaica and some rural places in the islands the sellers bring it to your cookhouse door in glass bottles every day in the early morning like milk in old movies.
It has a satisfying texture and tastes a bit like strawberries.
My favorite fruit juice, often found in cans in mexico that arent too good. The spanish name is guanabana.

Edited by Dane (04/23/12 02:19 PM)

#436390 - 04/23/12 04:11 PM Re: Weather Shift, Early Morning Groceries & New fruit [Re: Marty]
Judyann H. Offline
It is also my favorite juice....Dane, I'll give your traditional recipe a go as I usually end up lightly straining the pulp before serving.....And yes 'cool inna de icebox'...

#436755 - 04/28/12 10:02 AM Re: Weather Shift, Early Morning Groceries & New fruit [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Sour Sop, Guanabana, Graviola, Guanaba: My Brush with Fame and Fortune

I posed the question last week to my faithful readers: what the heck is this fruit? The Spanish-only speaking gentleman at the fruit stand seemed to be indicating that it is delicious (smiling and the Mmmmm sound needs no translation.)

Once IDed as soursop, I popped it in the refrigerator and got ready for eating. And once sliced open, I am totally hooked on this flavor. So much so that I even "friended" Guanaba Soursop Graviola on Facebook (and stole a bunch of their gorgeous pictures in the Soursop fields of Costa Rica). I can now count this fruit as one of my 910 best friends in the whole world.

Here is what mine looked like when cut open. Okay...not her best shot. No one is rushing to the store just yet.

Here is what a really nice one looks like. (Thanks my new facebook friend.)

It is a member of the same family as the Custard Apple/Cherimoya and like it, the seeds need to be removed. They contain a toxin.

How to get the flavor but not the texture...SMOOTHIES! Maybe a juice? Certainly a sorbet or ice cream.

Let me run this by Eileen, co-owner of D and E's Custard Shop on Middle Street in town.

She laughed in my face. Soursop is one of the popular flavors in her parlor. She makes the flavoring with the fresh fruit every year. What are you going to invent next, Scoop? (Her look said.) Chocolate?

And walking home, I realized that the other ice cream shops got the memo too. Though with a slightly different spelling.

And Celi's Deli (home to the best johnny cakes in town)...

Whatever. Who wants to be the SourSop Queen anyway? Back to the drawing board.

And (I know this is getting long) but let me explain all of the names. The fruit is mainly called Soursop in Belize but the primarily Spanish speakers here call it Guanaba. Graviola is the Portugese name.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on San Pedro Scoop

#436807 - 04/29/12 09:28 AM Re: Weather Shift, Early Morning Groceries & New fruit [Re: Marty]
Judyann H. Offline
Enjoyed this....Especially the SourSop Czar side story....Cute

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,286 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.