Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#436853 - 04/30/12 07:23 PM 101 Tips for Women Travelers
tortuga.chica Offline
I recieved a copy of this book from a friend and it is a great little book. Some tips I already use and some I haven't tried yet.

A couple that are un-tried (but will be on my next visit):

- silica packets (these can be used to protect medications, camera, binoculars from damage or fogging due to humidity). They can even be baked in a 150 degree oven so they can be re-used.

- insect repellent - fabric softener sheets (Bounce in particular) will supposedly repel mosquitos. Lavender oil will also (supposedly) repel mosquitos.

A free copy of book can be requested at www.oattravel.com. (Let me just say that traveling in organized tour groups is not my idea of travel--I am definately a solo traveler. They seem to have put together a nice book of good ideas--mostly submitted by their travelers & I wanted to share it.)

Cheers!

Edited by tortuga.chica (04/30/12 07:34 PM)

#436857 - 04/30/12 11:52 PM Re: 101 Tips for Women Travelers [Re: tortuga.chica]
gailtor Offline
I took a quick look at the site and couldn't find where to order the book. Sounds like it would be a great find. THX

#436860 - 05/01/12 12:22 AM Re: 101 Tips for Women Travelers [Re: tortuga.chica]
Gela Offline
I found this book in a second hand store last week for 25 cents. I read it cover to cover. I knew many things, but learned a few new tips. The silica packets for one. It's a great little book. I liked the stories about prominent women who traveled throughout history.

Also, along with lavender oil - try geranium oil for insect repellent (put a few drops in unscented body lotion).

#436909 - 05/01/12 03:54 PM Re: 101 Tips for Women Travelers [Re: gailtor]
tortuga.chica Offline
Go to the bottom of the home page and under COMMUNITY is "Harriet's Corner". Click on it and when the page comes up, scroll down and on the left hand side you will see a link where you can request the book.

#436910 - 05/01/12 03:57 PM Re: 101 Tips for Women Travelers [Re: Gela]
tortuga.chica Offline
Originally Posted By: Gela
I found this book in a second hand store last week for 25 cents. I read it cover to cover. I knew many things, but learned a few new tips. The silica packets for one. It's a great little book. I liked the stories about prominent women who traveled throughout history.

Also, along with lavender oil - try geranium oil for insect repellent (put a few drops in unscented body lotion).

I liked the stories as well and thanks for the tip on geranium oil. I will give it a try.

#436932 - 05/01/12 08:45 PM Re: 101 Tips for Women Travelers [Re: tortuga.chica]
gailtor Offline
Thx.. did find the link finally but alas, only available in the US..

#437024 - 05/03/12 06:58 AM Re: 101 Tips for Women Travelers [Re: tortuga.chica]
kerry Offline
gailtor...sent u a pm

#442484 - 07/13/12 10:30 PM Re: 101 Tips for Women Travelers [Re: tortuga.chica]
tortuga.chica Offline
Just tried one of the tips on "cooking" hair conditioner in a low oven to concentrate it.

Got 28 oz in a 5 oz bottle.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.