Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The San Pedro Traffic Department took part in a two-day training program on Traffic Safety that was held on Wednesday May 2nd and Thursday May 3, 2012 from 8am through 3pm. This training was held in keeping with the Department of Transport's Mission, which is a commitment in developing, promoting and regulating a viable and modern transportation sector through efficient traffic management, human resource development and community participation in order to achieve the highest attainable level of public safety.

The training was spearheaded by councilor responsible for Traffic, Mr. Kenrick Brackett and facilitated by Officer in Charge of the San Pedro Police Department, ASP Vienie Robinson. It focused on the main responsibilities of the Traffic Wardens as well as the law as it pertains to driving in Belize.

Brackett commented, "I don't believe these traffic wardens have had much training, and then we have two new ones and one volunteer. We believe this training will bear a lot of fruits. No more excuses. People will be ticketed. I believe that we have given a lot of warnings already."

The wardens were trained on the specific functions which are to direct the flow of traffic, to enforce the parking regulations, the enforcement of the traffic violation system and how to investigate and prosecute traffic accidents, especially when it comes to Driving Under the Influence (DUI).

Officers from the San Pedro Police Department also joined in the training. ASP Robinson spoke of the training and the department's participation, "This workshop is to provide the department of transport personnel with the skills and knowledge that will assist them to be able to perform their duties as traffic wardens. It is mainly to assist the traffic department. We are looking at their role as traffic wardens. We are looking at what goes on at the vehicle check points. We are looking at this whole issue of the traffic violation ticket. We are looking at how to give evidence in court and that type of thing." The training served as a refresher course for the police officers who took part.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Great, they will brush up on how to ticket tourists who park in the red zones and might have forgot to have their drivers license on them when stopped at a check point. Well at least the check points stop the taxis from speeding for a while since that seems to be the only time traffic wardens accomplish that. frown

Come on Warren - know they should know how to do more than ride around town in their golf cart.
I say hooray - this is the stuff we have been begging for.
GO GET 'EM TOWN COUNCIL!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
If I am going to beg for something, it would be that they get their priorities more in line with what matters. I have no problem with them enforcing the minor traffic violations. I just wish the important issues like the speeding vehicles, important because they will kill someone, would be addressed before they spend resources learning how to better write a parking ticket.

Here's what I read:

direct the flow of traffic, to enforce the parking regulations, the enforcement of the traffic violation system and how to investigate and prosecute traffic accidents, especially when it comes to !

This is what I said HOORAY TO - I don't see anything about how to write a better traffic ticket. Let's back them up.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
If they would give out as many speeding tickets as they do parking tickets, maybe it would not be as much of a need to learn better how to investigate accidents and that would go a long way to "enforcement of the traffic violation system". frown
To me it is a matter of addressing priorities, and the speeding vehicles should be the first priority when it comes to safety - IMO.

S
S
Earlier this week I witnessed a traffic warden ticketing a golf cart and essentially ignoring the "white elephant" - a giant Taxi cab van parked illegally.

Am in complete agreement with bywarren on the speeding vehicles. I am just amazed that no one has been killed / plowed down in front of Tropic Air. One wrong move by a pedestrian (step/ extending your arm) could be your last. Seriously dangerous!

Perhaps even more dangerous than a golf cart parked on a faded curb.....

I think its really cute when golf cart drivers extend their right arm as a turn signal to the right!
Yes, we have a long way to go with traffic rules and education. Don't forget the island hasn't had traffic but for a very few years and for sure its going to be wacky for a while.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Speeding vehicles, motorcycle riders with no helmets or unstrapped helmets, unsafe vehicles. One of these days a baby and/or passenger is going to fly off a motorcycle and die, while the driver (if the helmet is strapped on) will be less harmed. Parking is a problem, yes, but illegal parking hasn't killed anyone that I know of. From Island Supermarket to BYC there is virtually nothing to stop a taxi, quad, or cycle from flying at 50 - 60 mph which they do consistently. Legislate the radar guns and use them. Should make enough money to triple the number of traffic wardens. Just my two cents

Change your Latitude
Remember the days of such bad potholes that when nobody could go fast? We just hated them and the bad backs and broken golf-carts they induced. Now we can go along smoothly - and lead-foot disease has taken root.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction -- or something like that, right?
When "solving" a problem it's a smart move to examine/anticipate the new problem or tangential "issues" that the solution will create. Installing speed limit and safety signs reviewing speed laws and training the officers should really have been happening while the cement was being poured to "fix" the roads.
Kudos to the current Town Board for addressing this most important issue. They are facing the task of untangling a mess created by lack of intelligent foresight - let's support them by driving safely and reporting those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.