Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#437794 05/12/12 01:57 AM
OP Offline
Ok, I am coming down in December and would love to bring my boat. Will I have to pay taxes as it is only going to be in BZ for a month. If not how do I make sure that I do not? Odd question but if anyone knows please direct me in the right direction.

Thanks John deVerteuil

John deVerteuil
You can bring a boat in temporarily without paying duty. I think you need to look into the rules regarding the particular type of vessel and what you plan to do and where you plan to use it.

Sailing and motor boat cruisers come and go constantly but small personal motorized vessels might need a local captain if you want to zip around to dive sites etc.

Look up the Belize port authority site and also google cruising in Belize.

OP Offline
Thanks Amanda,
I have my CPTs license in BZ for greater than 40' so I am covered as my boat is a 29ft CC. I have sent an email to Lloyd Jones, BPA boss, and asked him but no reply. Sent emails to BZ Tax and customs to find out as well.
If all else fails I will simply launch from Chetumal and drive it to SP from there.
I did think about the "cruising in BZ" I will research that, thanks you are a gem.

Thanks John deVerteuil

John deVerteuil
C
C2C
C2C
C
I was given a special temporary permit for my boat when I first came to Belize. No problem, no duty. The permit was renewable for up to 6 months.
I understand now some agents will enforce the deposit requirement (equal to the expected customs duty).
Make sure all your paperwork (ownership, registration, crew list, etc.) is up to date and correct.

If you have a captain's license for Belize that is a great first step. Obviously when the boat is on a visitor visa you won't be able to take out tours etc. That is one of the reasons why you put up a bond.

But you should be able to get a visitor permit for up to 6 months for the boat duty free.

OP Offline
Thanks, I will conduct my due diligence and check with the authorities. 6 month temporary permit. Got it.

John deVerteuil
OP Offline
Amanda, No plans to use the boat for business just going to shop around for property/ businesses for sale and fish.

Thanks again.

John deVerteuil
Then definitely call me if you are looking for property and businesses for sale on Ambergris Caye - Sunrise Realty!

OP Offline
Ok now I am not bringing the boat. US State Department and Military have stated that no us Govt employee can drive thru Mexico due to violence and illegal road blocks. So I guess I will fly down. Thanks for the input from you guys. I will use it in 2014 when I retire and move down.

John deVerteuil

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.