Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
OP Offline
V
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to display a lot of ignorance here, so please bear with me. eek

Here's the deal: I have a partner and we'd like to purchase and run a small "bed & breakfast" type business on San Pedro. We'd also like to have a diving business and/or a fishing charter business.

However, I was reading on here that Belizean nationals need to be hired for most jobs. So we'd be required to hire a Belizean dive master it seems...

If that's the case, then I doubt we'll invest in Belize. However, if it is possible to operate the dive business ourselves (self-employment) until such a time as we can afford to hire more staff, then we could do it.

Does anyone know if that is possible under self-employment?

Belize is an awesome country and we'd like to live and work there, but it seems really difficult to work with in some things. I may be misunderstanding what I've seen posted.

At this point I'm gathering information, so anything you can explain will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for considering our questions.

John

John,
Its a law that people working as divemasters have a tourguide license and to get the tour guide license you have to be a citizen. A few people like myself have made themselves citizens and qualified.
I promise you none of that is easy, one of the few laws that gets enforced around here.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
V
OP Offline
V
I believe I read that you mentioned that previously in another post.

I haven't looked into it yet myself, which is why I was asking. However, my question was more about whether self-employment would make a difference in that regard.

There's always a way. Of course we could go the citizenship route--which we probably would at some point--but that seems excessive just to run a business.

John

Self employment does not make any difference. To do the job you need to be a citizen, no way around it. Either wait or hire a Belizean to do the job.

John,
You HAVE to hire a local as a tour guide, that is the law. To be a tour guide the locals have to be certified as well thru the Govt. Belize does this so foriegners, such as us, do not come in here and self employee the locals out of jobs.
You can ask anyone who has been here, they love the local flavor when diving. Why come all this way to talk to another Canadian or American dive master, they want a local person with a fun attitude.
The B&B might be a different story not sure.

John deVerteuil
Man I just proof read my comment, I sound stupid. smile

John deVerteuil
Not only that, but you sound like you are talking to yourself. wink

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

V
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the info JdeVerteuil...

It's moot now anyway. We found a much better Caribbean country to settle in that doesn't have such insane restrictions and hoops to jump through. I'm sure we'll visit Belize though!

LOL, and where is this magical Caribbean country? Please do share.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Originally Posted by seashell
LOL, and where is this magical Caribbean country? Please do share.
SeaShell...You are too funny; between this post and the one about John talking to himself....Great sense of humor....thanks for a nice start to my morning......

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.