Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#438198 - 05/17/12 01:34 PM vaccinations
CayeMarie Offline
we have been recommended to get vaccinations for Hep B, Hep A and Typhoid for a vacation we are going on. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of where these can be obtained in Belize. Thanks

#438202 - 05/17/12 02:03 PM Re: vaccinations [Re: CayeMarie]
Amanda Syme Offline
Yes you can get Hep A and Hep B vaccinations - I think Hep B is a series of 2 or maybe even 3 shots spread out over a few weeks.

I don't think you will be able to get the typhoid vaccination but you can check with your local clinic or doctor.

I know in San Pedro we had the hepatitis vaccinations and I am pretty sure Belize doesn't import the typhoid.

#438223 - 05/17/12 04:29 PM Re: vaccinations [Re: CayeMarie]
Diane Campbell Offline
I think I got a typhiod vaccination at BMA long time ago -- pretty sure I had to go to a pediatrician to get it.

#438227 - 05/17/12 05:01 PM Re: vaccinations [Re: Diane Campbell]
CayeMarie Offline
Thanks so much for the information.

#438228 - 05/17/12 05:10 PM Re: vaccinations [Re: CayeMarie]
Bear Offline
"Adults getting hepatitis B vaccine require 3 doses — with the second dose given 4 weeks after the first and the third dose 5 months after the second."

Reference: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-hep-b.pdf

"HEP A - For travelers, it is best to start the vaccine series at least one month before traveling. (Some protection may still result if the vaccine is given on or closer to the travel date.) Two doses of the vaccine are needed for lasting protection. These doses should be given at least 6 months apart.

Some people who cannot get the vaccine before traveling, or for whom the vaccine might not be effective, can get a shot called immune globulin (IG). IG gives immediate, temporary protection."

Reference: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-hep-a.pdf

Note: Immune globulin or Gamma Globulin is unlikely to be avaliable on the island...and I would start these in the States to gain the partial immunity as the likelyhood of these being readily availble in Belize is a good question

#438238 - 05/17/12 06:42 PM Re: vaccinations [Re: CayeMarie]
Diane Campbell Offline
GG is cool stuff - HUGE needle, goopy liquid - those babies hurt, but at least they don't make you sick.

The yellow fever and cholera are the real pips. You may need to have somebody drive you home from the doctor cause you can get the feva in under an hour. Given my experience with the shots, I'd say they must be worth it - if the disease is worse (than the vaccinations) no wonder it kills you.

#438239 - 05/17/12 06:45 PM Re: vaccinations [Re: CayeMarie]
Diane Campbell Offline
OH yes, now that we've made the needle-phobes freak out, may I wish you - BON VOYAGE!

Where the heck are you going Marie - I hope it's a safari in Africa or an adventure in the darkest parts of Borneo or something equally thrilling? Well worth the injections ---

#438242 - 05/17/12 07:25 PM Re: vaccinations [Re: CayeMarie]
CayeMarie Offline
We are going to Bali and those are the three that are recommended as well as a flu shot. Some say not necessary but like to be on the safe side.

#438246 - 05/17/12 07:48 PM Re: vaccinations [Re: CayeMarie]
BeBelize Offline
Funny, to come TO Belize from the US, the Travel Clinic we went to recommended Hep A/B (series of three), Typhoid (we took pills rather than shots), and malaria. We did the Hepatitis series but skipped malaria.
Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico

#438259 - 05/17/12 09:43 PM Re: vaccinations [Re: CayeMarie]
elbert Offline
Jes, I didn't have any of these shots. I guess I was just luck these 20 + years I've been living amongst these diseased lots.
Seriously folks that crap isn't healthy for you and for sure not necessary, think twice before you inject some foreign crap in your body needlessly.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (cracked up, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.