Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#438674 05/23/12 12:07 PM
OP Offline
This thread is intended for registered property owners North of the Bridge.
All others can debate in The Road North thread.

Those of you who know me will remember what we did last Feb-March when we funded the grading of the road ourselves.
After speaking with the New Mayor as I promised he has basically said that there is no funding available for the North Road in terms of hard cash, but he would be willing to listen to our proposals and possibly help with equipment and manpower. He also informed me that the road, with a few exceptions is basically staying where it is. It is a legal road otherwise the traffic wardens would have no authority to write tickets North of the Bridge. We can debate the legality of the road but that is another issue.

I am talking about what can we do TODAY to improve the safety and comfort of driving the North Road. I am not talking about an urban park with bike paths and flowers, maybe that is the goal 10 -20 years from now but for today I am talking about a dirt road the one we use everyday that is there now.

Dirt roads are easy to move, paved ones are not. So until there is a Master Plan for NAC
What can we do today to save our backs, golf carts suspension and clothes from getting full of mud everytime we drive the road, So this thread is for the people who use the road all the time.

So here is what I had in mind.
Here is an example of how we might break it down.
Lets start for instance just with Condo units and hotels (not including vacant land holdings or Single family dwellings)
Here is a list of them from the bridge to Sueno del mar.

0.89 Solitude
0.95 Bermuda Landing
0.97 Villas at Del Rio
1.14 Reef Village (off beach)
1.15 The Cloisters
1.29 Waterford (the HOTEL)
1.95 AkBol
2.27 Grand Caribe
2.31 Bella Vista Guest House
2.44 Ocean Aire
2.63 White Sands Cove
2.66 Cocotal Inn
2.78 El Pescador Lodge and Villas
2.87 Capricorn Resort
3.04 Capt. Morgan's Retreat
3.33 Coco Beach Resort
3.36 Coral Reef Villas
3.39 Kingsbury
3.43 Belizean Shores Resort
3.69 Seascape Villas
3.71 Blue Dolphin
3.78 Las Terrazas
3.88 Journey's End Resort
4.5 Los Encantos
4.64 Caye Villas
4.74 SunDiver
4.88 El Castillo Del Arena
5.11 Azul Resort& Rojo Lounge
5.21 Mata Chica Beach Resort
5.3 Playa Blanca Villas
5.57 Xaman Ek Retreat & Spa
5.71 La Perla del Caribe
6.01 Portofino Resort
6.67 Costa Maya Reef Resort
7.17 Belize Legacy
8.11 Blue Reef Island Resort
9.11 Saphire Beach
9.54 Bright Water Beach Resort
10.6 Secreto
12.9 Sueno del Mar
13.4 Tranquility Bay Beach Resort

That's 41 Resort condos. If we were to say average $100.00bz per month per property, that would bring in 4,100.00 per month just from the resorts and condos.
Lets take the first one on the list, Solitude. Solitude has 6 units. 6/100 = $16bz per month per household. Now someplace like reef village or Grande Caribe, we would assess so that each unit/owner /room pays about $16bz per month. I don't think that that is unreasonable at all.
The road does not have to be done every month, and can't be in rainy season. So the months that we are not actually physically working on the road and any residules, the money would be diverted to the reserve fund, which would be used to purchase hardcore and culverts, Tech consulting, and eventually some solar street lights.
No it is not a perfect solution, but it is a start.
Again, This thread is for North of the bridge registered property owners only.
All others Please use the Road North thread as I don't want this one getting off track.
FEEDBACK?????

How about getting a real bid or two for a real road and then have the city create an LID to assess the cost spread over say 10 years. This would make all property owners pay a fair share.
I am an owner north of the bridge.

Last edited by champion; 05/23/12 04:00 PM.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
N
N
As the owner of one of the private house on the route I am happy to make a fair and reasonable contribution if you can persuade everyone else to do likewise! As a matter of interest how much can you do in terms of maintenance with B$4100?

As an LID, it would be an addition to the property tax's and like here in Idaho and all states, if not paid, put up for auction.

By the way, what happened to the road that was to be built and then funded by the Mexican Government?

T
T
I really like the fact that some people are not going to sit around and write letters to the government to have them do something about the problem. Although I do not live North I think that you have a great idea. The real question is will the resorts and condos contribute.

Considering that property owners are paying nothing in terms of property taxes it is fair to expect nothing in return. If you want to get something done here the answer is always get up and do it.
Good luck.

I am a property owner up North and would be very interested in a scheme such as this. I have my doubts about it ever getting off the ground but I applaud you for trying and you can count me in. I am in Solaria II between Las Terazas and Rendezvous Restaurant.

Captain One Iron
A
A
This is certainly better than waiting for government to do something. The issue would likely need to be brought to each of the condo complexes HOAs. Ours meets only annually. It could be done but not quickly. I feel most owners would respond favorably in most cases.

Good for you Dan! I contributed last year and would again this year.
Whoever said we don't pay any taxes is wrong - They are not high but I think most of the individual owners up here pay theirs annually.
The HOA for Bermuda Palms can vote on something like this via e-mail - why couldn't others.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
And OH YEAH - if the poor people in San Mateo can built their own road why can't we

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.