Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#43877 - 09/09/01 09:56 PM Turnbun's trip.....
Turnbun Offline
Hi, all! Well, we made it back to Austin at about midnight last night, so I thought I'd post my trip report before I forget even more! I wish I had kept a travel journal because it all blurred together by the end!
First of all, we all had the BEST time! AC and the rest of Belize was awesome!
It was a little stressful with everyone from time to time, but what can you expect with two full families and a wedding??? I will say this, none of my family ever drank, but they were all drinking by the end of the trip!
SOOOOO.... without further delay, here it goes!
Day 1 - Wednesday.
Joe and I along with Joe's mom fly to Houston from Austin and meet up with our families/friends (Joe's brother and sister in law, my mom, sister, aunt, brother and sister in law, and friends Brian and Brittani). We have a great flight from Houston (Continental). Of course it was better for some than others -- Joe's mom managed to sweet talk us into first class! They eat with real silverware and china up there!
OK, we get to the Belize City airport and meet up with Joe's sister and brother in law. We have a "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" situation at Tropic Air trying to get us all on one flight, so I hang back and just let people tell me what to do and where to go. The flight could hold all but 2 of us, so Joe and I offered to stay back and wait for the next flight. I'm so glad we did! We got to ride in a tiny four-seater plane, and it was so awesome! The view was unbelievable, and we were all by ourselves (with the pilot, of course). Nice way to arrive....
Tazmara from SunDiver and Iraida (the wedding coordinator) meet us at the airport, and Joe and I go do our legal stuff while the others take off for SunDiver; we follow an hour or so later. The SunDiver is a very pretty property. The beach is very well taken care of and it was a perfect setting for the wedding. When we got there, Joe's family realized the house they rented didn't have air conditioning, so they asked to be moved to regular rooms. This caused a little rukus, but what do you expect with 14 personalities???
After the rooms were straightened out, we had dinner. Mark (the new chef at SunDiver) was very good!
Then off to Ladies' Night at the Dockside Bar at Hustler. We were all sooooo beat from the stress of travel, we were only there for an hour or so before we were going to fall asleep in our Belikens, so we headed back home for a good night's sleep! OH, at Dockside, we met up with BBNX and his wife. They were very nice....
YEOWWWWWW!!!!! Bright light, bright light gizmo! 5:00 am the sun is streaming through our window like it's noon. We get up early and relax on the beach and at the pool, eat our continental breakfast, and several kids (including Joe, but not including me) take off for SCUBA diving. That left several of us girls to go shopping and explore the town. SunDiver was GREAT about taking us to town and back at our leisure. We shopped, looked around town, and ate lunch at Celi's. It was pretty good; just home cooking recommended by the locals.
Then we head back to the SunDiver for a day of sun in the pool and the ocean. When the SCUBA crew got back, we got dressed and headed to town for dinner.
We had dinner at Elvi's Kitchen. I thought it was very good. I had the coconut shrimp which was delicious. I also had some VERY good banana daquri type drink. Our waiter was very nice as well. After dinner, I had a bout of "pre-wedding jitters" so some of us headed back to the hotel to relax, and my family shopped til they dropped. I'm sorry I didn't make it to the Fido's gathering!!
Again, up at the crack of dawn. I think this is the day I actually got up and went down to the sunset to take pictures. It was very peaceful out there sitting on the beach with only your thoughts and prayers. Then I went upstairs and right back to bed!
Today, PARASAILING!!!! Whoopie! This was an awesome experience! We went with the guys off Fido's dock. They were great - a ton of fun, and they played great rock-n-roll! I highly recommend you do this. You could see so much from up there! Joe and I went together, and our friends Brittani and Brian went as well. Beautiful ride!
Then, we ate lunch at Fido's. Not the greatest, and WAY over-priced. Good location, though.
After lunch, Joe and I stayed in town and explored a little bit. We had to meet my father and his wife and my friend Ros and her husband Todd at the airport - who we thought were on the same flight. My dad got in, but not Ros, so I left Joe at the airport to wait for Ros and went to the hotel with my dad and his wife, Sandy. We just hung out, played in the pool, etc. Then about 3 hours and 12 Belikens later, here comes Joe, Ros and Todd. Oh, boy, Joe had fun waiting for those two!
We have dinner at the hotel tonight, and it was again quite delicious!
Today is our first official group activity. Sailing and snorkeling on Hustler's catamaran. This was GREAT! We all had a blast, and the guys from Hustler were so much fun! They kept giving me little gifts since I was the "bride." So sweet! Rubio was the "head sailor," and he was just great! We snorkeled at Mexico Rocks, which wasn't that impressive to be honest. Joe and I spent some time in the Honduran Bay Islands, and the snorkeling was way better there than what I saw on AC. HOWEVER, I didn't get a chance to go to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. After snorkeling, the guys docked at a deserted part of North AC and cooked us the best lunch I had the whole entire trip! BBQ chicken, rice and beans, and cole slaw. It was great! They also mixed a mean rum punch and of course kept the Beliken flowing as well. Then we snorkeled a little more, and headed back to SunDiver. I can't really remember what we did for dinner that night to be honest. We must have eaten at the SunDiver. I'm sure it was delicious....
I'll continue on another post with the Wedding Day and beyond.....

#43878 - 09/10/01 02:05 AM Re: Turnbun's trip.....
rickcheri Offline
Keep it coming.. Glad you all had a great trip.. Rick

#43879 - 09/10/01 09:40 AM Re: Turnbun's trip.....
AC Beach Bum Offline
Welcome back! It sounds like you guys had a very good time together. How nice that you got to do all of those things with close friends and family! I can't wait to see your pictures!

#43880 - 09/10/01 09:51 AM Re: Turnbun's trip.....
ybon Offline
You sound like you had a great trip and Wedding!! I am getting so excited! Any advise for a future bride (63 days and counting!)?

#43881 - 09/10/01 10:07 AM Re: Turnbun's trip.....
Turnbun Offline
If you are going with a group, don't try to do everything in a group. Schedule one or two designated group activities, and have everything else be "on your own." Less stress that way!
Also, don't expect things to run on time for anything. Just relax and enjoy it. Let others worry about stuff, just soak it all in. Don't be too picky about things, just let Iraida and her gang take care of you. They know what they're doing for sure!
Don't get married on a beach or pier in the middle of town - too much activity/people/stuff around. Pick one south or north that's a little more secluded. SunDiver was the perfect setting!
Next, do not use Rev. Cloud. Although his service is the MOST BEAUTIFUL I've ever heard, he's quite ill and it was in question whether he'd be able to perform the ceremony at all - STRESS. We had to sit down for the ceremony, and I kept getting yelled (not yelled, but strongly encouraged) at to hurry up and get ready because he was sitting in the sun and not feeling well (understandable, but it really stressed me out to have to hurry so much). He's a sweet man and does a lovely ceremony, but it's too much stress to worry if your minister is going to pass out. My heart goes out to him. He's so kind.
GET A MASSAGE and drink some champagne before the ceremony. I didn't care about a thing after a couple glasses of champagne and that massage!
Other than that, just HAVE FUN!!!! It was such a great time. I have no regrets, and everything was as perfect as could be!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.