Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yesterday May23, 2012
Southwest Airlines will be flying new international flights from Houston's Hobby Airport. They will be constructing a new International Terminal and adding Mexico amd other Latin Amarica flights. We need to let Southwest Airlines know that Belize Glodson International Airport should be a flight they should add to their new destinations.
Kat

Tom, Was this from a SW press release?

R
ron Offline
R
About a week ago there was a news release about expanding routes didn't say where in particular. I saw it in either the NY Times or USA Today.

http://www.khou.com/community/Mayor-Southwest-strik-153105245.html

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...s-nose-into-international-air/55174412/1

remember too, that SW took over Air Tran and will be merging those international routes as well - SAT _ CUN!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
C
C
SWA has been contemplating Belize for a while, probably waiting on the Airtran deal. Done now, maybe we'll get a REAL airline here!!

T
T
I wouldn't get your hopes up too quick. It takes a while to build a 100 million dollar terminal. It has the mayors backing but it is far from being approved. I am sure you will see United / Continental putting up a large fight to block it and possibly law suits. Secondly, Southwest flight attendants just voted down a contract with parameters for "over water" flying.

T
Tom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
There was an announcement from Southwest on Channel 13.
Yes, it will take awhile for them to build an International Terminal and routes to be decided but we can put our wishes wants and needs out there to Southwest and let them know how we feel and show our support for them to fly to Belize.
Of course the shortest route is straight accross the Gulf of Mexico but they could skirt the coast line of Mexico.
Kat

Originally Posted by tahunt
Secondly, Southwest flight attendants just voted down a contract with parameters for "over water" flying.

Out of curiosity was that a reason for voting down the contract? or simply part of the contract that go voted down?

T
T
It's normal for contracts to get voted down, but in reality, international flying is nothing Southwest has ever done. This effects workers lives more than most people think. These become longer flights, more layovers away from home, etc. I am sure Southwest will just have to bump up the premium pay to get over that hurdle.Southwest being so cautious of fees and low costs, this will also determine some of the places they fly. Some international airports are more expensive than others to fly in and out of.

If an airline were just beginning international service from the U.S., to be frank BZE is probably not going to be in the top 20 or 30 choices due to:

lack of local people traveling (the Belize population is so small relative to many other markets),

relatively low levels of international tourism,

relatively slow growth of tourism,

high costs and high hassles for the airline and its ground staff in Belize City,

a reputation (deserved or not) for government incompetence and corruption, and

the checkered history of other airlines flying to Belize (e.g. seasonal cutbacks or discontinuances of service by Delta, US Air and others).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 156 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.