Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Valid: Sunday, June 3 until Monday, June 11, 2012

Moist and unstable conditions associated with low pressures over Central America and the western Caribbean, a low-level surge of strong breeze across the central and western Caribbean in the ESE’ly trade winds, and divergence of the air in the upper levels, will results in thundery and showery weather persisting over Belize and adjacent areas during the next 10 days of June.

The 24-hour GFS model forecast chart for 10 meter winds, 24-hour accumulated rainfall and the pressure patterns, valid for 6:00 am Sunday, June 3, 2012, shows low pressures centers strung across the Pacific coast of Central America, with fresh E to ESE winds of 15 to 20 knots over the western Caribbean, and rainfall concentrated mostly over and offshore the Stann Creek, Belize and Corozal Districts on Saturday through Sunday morning. A trough of low pressure is also projected to remain over the extreme NW Caribbean and Yucatan through Monday.

The GFS model 132-hr projected vorticity pattern at 5,000 feet valid for Thursday evening, June 7, 2012, shows a trough of low pressure extending across the eastern Gulf of Mexico to coastal waters of Belize and the surge of strong low-level winds in the central and western Caribbean. This surge will enhance the convective activity generated by the low pressure trough in the NW Caribbean on Friday through most of the upcoming weekend.

The GFS model 24-hour rainfall totals ending at 6:00 am on Thursday, June 7, 2012 depicts rainfall totals in the range of 0.25-0.50 of-an-inch for Wednesday and Wednesday night in the range of 0.25-0.50 of-an-inch, mostly over areas north of the Toledo District. Rainfall will be higher in the elevated areas of the Stann Creek and Cayo Districts, and favorable for quick runoff in some localities of these districts.

Tropical Cyclone Outlook: The models are not forecasting any tropical cyclone formation over the Caribbean during the next five days.

CLICK HERE for the full Belize Weekly Weather Report

The June 3rd, 2012 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Imported Robbers With Local Connections
  • American Charged For Guatemalan Death
  • Chester Williams Is Back Again
  • Together We Can Achieve Education For All
  • STAR Humor
  • Editorial:
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Garifuna Dance Group “Hamalali Wayunagu” Performs at the Brooklyn Academy of Music during Dance Africa Show
Every year for the past thirty-five years, “Dance Africa” is held at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in Brooklyn, New York City, USA. This event is being made possible by Chuck Davis the founder and artistic director of the Chuck Davis Dance Company which was founded in 1968 and the African American Dance Ensemble in Durham, NC in 1983. This year the event was held during the Memorial Day weekend which started on Friday the 25th of May and ended on Monday the 28thof May 2012. He has been a panelist in several programs of the National Endowment for the Arts and is a recipient of the AARP Certificate of Excellence, the North Carolina Dance Alliance Award, the 1990 North Carolina Artist Award, the North Carolina Order of the Long Leaf Pine and numerous other awards. He invited the Hamalali Wayunagu Dance Company to participate in this year’s event for the first time so they became the first Garifuna dance group ever to participate in Dance Africa.

Turtle report 2011 released: May shows improvement in nesting season
Biologist Kirah Foreman from Hol Chan Marine Reserve has officially released the 2011 turtle monitoring report to coincide with the commencement of the 2012 turtle nesting season in Belize. The report concentrates on nesting sites on Ambergris Caye that is specific to specie nesting on the island’s beaches. The two species that have been documented as being specific to nesting on Ambergris Caye is the loggerhead (Chleonia Caretta) and the green turtle (Chleonia Mydas). The report indicates that since monitoring started in 2009 the number of nest recorded has increased by 23 % in 2010 and remained stable with an increase of one nest in 2011. The beach monitoring was conducted from June to November in 2011 with the assistance of the staffs at Hol Chan and the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserves. Nesting efforts were concentrated in two main beach on northern Ambergris Caye which are Robles and Rocky Point beaches. However a very strange but not uncommon activity occurred in 2011. A total of four nests were confirmed in the Habanero beach area. Such occurrence strengthen the scientific theory that female turtles are known to return to nest on the beach that they were hatched on. Foreman explained that most of Ambergris Caye was a major nesting site but due to rapid coastal development, it has forced turtles to small beach areas. This has negatively impacted and added pressure to the already dwindling turtle population.

Misc Belizean Sources

Road projects
The Government of Belize has received a US$24.719 million loan from the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB04-04/12) towards the cost of the Fourth Road Project (Santa Elena/San Ignacio By-Pass), and intends to apply a portion of the proceeds for the Joseph Andrews Drive to Benque Road Rehabilitation. The Government of Belize (GOB) has secured a loan from the Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI)towards the cost of the Northern Border Rehabilitation Project (BCIE04-04/12). Part of the funds will pay for construction of access roads, two roundabouts, reconstruction of parking areas and other associated drainage, security, and accommodation works.
Tragic accident on ac that left this young man paralyzed from the waist down. This is where Belize sucks in terms of proper care for this type of injury. They have removed him from BHC and have taken him to OW Regional because he can't pay. Alberto fell off the back staircase at Casa Blanca on Saturday May 26th, 2012 . He has broken his neck and suffered a spinal cord injury. He is considered a quadriplegic at this point but there is some hope that he will regain movement to his hands with physical therapy. He is currently receiving care at:

Chaa Creek Congratulates “Friend to Belize” Biden Wedding
The Lodge at Chaa Creek congratulated “a good friend to Belize”, Dr Howard David Krein on his wedding to US Vice President Joe Biden’s daughter, Ashley Blazer Biden. The Lodge at Chaa Creek congratulated “a good friend to Belize,” Dr Howard David Krein on his wedding to US Vice President Joe Biden’s daughter, Ashley Blazer Biden. Chaa Creek’s owner and general manager, Lucy Fleming, said that Dr Krein was recognised for his volunteer work in the small Central American country on the Caribbean coast. “While I do not personally know Dr Krein, I do know that he spends several weeks each year doing volunteer work here in Belize as part of the International Hospital for Children. He’s especially known for his work with operating on kids with facial deformities, which I found to be particularly impressive. “Words can’t really describe the impact his work has on young people in a small country like ours, where resources are limited and there aren’t many opportunities for children to get the sort of services he provides. He’s certainly a very good friend to Belize,” she said.
Danny Chung has been slowly uploading shots from backstage at the Cornerstone Foundation's Feed the Children Fashion Show at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel. There are some perfect shots there. More!

Queen on the Jewel Delegates
Congratulations to the cast of the Next Miss Belize. Cayo is represented well. "Queen of the Jewel has been hailed as Belize's best ever international pageant. Beautiful and talented young women from all over the country will compete for the title of Next Miss Belize 2012 and a chance to start their career in the modeling industry."

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Have you seen Bert?
SCUBA SENSATIONS is the newest biggest little dive shop on the block. Owner, dive master, Albert Pacheco, is a long-time divemaster with more than 15 years of dive master experience and thousands of dives under his belt. If you’re looking for scuba diving fun, be sure to give them a try.

Traveling from San Pedro, Belize to San Jose, Costa Rica: Now That WAS Easy
I described my options for traveling in Central America in my post about Belize to Panama: Traveling Ain't Easy. It can be fast, easy and expensive or cheap and LONG. I chose the easy option. I am still regretting it a bit...there is something romantic sounding about a solo, 4 day bus ride ranging across lots of different countries...but the reality is probably akin to torture. I am pretty sure I made the right decision. Plus, I still have plenty of time for long bus rides...maybe this summer. I still need to check out Nicaragua... I started my trip by flying from San Pedro to Belize International Airport on Tropic Air. Saturday's weather was finally starting to brighten after what seems like weeks of rain on Ambergris Caye. I checked into TACA Air, an easy exit fee was included in the price of my ticket. Music to my ears. We boarded early for the 5:15pm flight to San Salvador. The flight was about 1/3 full with most of the travellers headed to San Salvador and then Los Angeles. It was my first time on TACA and I am now one of their biggest fans. The flight crew was great, they were quick and efficient, the planes seemed brand new and....AND...they gave a free snack and real drinks on the 45 minute flight. Free head phones and a choices of tv and games. We were totally living on the edge. A real PEANUT snack. It's nice to remember that air travel on big airplanes doesn't always need to suck.

Protecting Nature, Preserving Life
I want to be an Eco Kid so I can help preserve nature and work with others to heal back its injuries. As a small boy, I did not understand nature. Now that I have grown older, I understand that it is a life. It grows, lives and can die. It has feelings also! Many people, young and old, locals and foreigners treat it like garbage, filthy and disgusting. They continuously commit crime against nature, poisoning earth with solid waste and pollutants; scaring it with their agricultural and urban development activities and bringing numerous plant and animal species to the brink of extinction. Our once beautiful land is slowly turning into a waste land. For whatever reasons, they cannot see they are killing nature and its resources. As an Eco Kid I need to help them realize that these crimes are horrendous and what they are committing needs stop.

International Sources

Drug interdiction: The US wades more deeply into Honduras
The U.S. Central American Regional Security Initiative, focused on security and the interdiction of drug trafficking in countries of that region -- Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama -- put $107 million into Honduras in 2011. Under jurisdiction of the military's Southern Command, headquartered in Miami, the United States has built three new forward operating bases in Honduras. U.S. officials have said that, with the Iraq War finished and the Afghanistan War winding down, more attention and money can be devoted to the war on drugs in Central America. That effort, with military, law enforcement and development components, complements U.S. companies' involvement in the region, including the traditional banana producers, Dole and Chiquita.

Study shows open-fire smoke harms young brains
The study, which appears in the current issue of the International Journal of Environmental Health Research, was based on data that Munroe gathered more than 30 years ago when he studied gender roles in developing cultures in Kenya, Nepal, American Samoa and Belize. Although he didn’t focus on cognitive performance in the gender study, he did gather the information. Gauvain said she became intrigued after reading a story on efforts to provide low-emission stoves to communities that rely on open-fire cooking. The story mentioned health problems associated with such cooking practices. As a psychologist, Gauvain wondered why no one seemed to have examined the affects on the brain.

Chinese, Latin American crime lords linking
Business transactions include drugs, human trafficking. There is increasing evidence that Chinese criminal cartels are linking up with their counterparts in Latin American to make profits from drugs and human trafficking, according to Joseph Farah’s G2 Bulletin. Sources say that last April a shipment of precursor chemicals bound for the Los Zetas Mexican cartel was intercepted in the small Caribbean country of Belize. According to report by the Jamestown Foundation, a Washington-based think-tank, a Chinese mafia apparently is emerging in Chinese communities in Latin America.