Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#439744 - 06/05/12 01:49 AM Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage
Mary1220 Offline
Some people I know just returned from a week in San Pedro. They said they had a great time. They flew from Charlotte, NC to BZ then tropic Air to SP. One lady had put her jewelry in her checked luggage. Her luggage was ransacked and her jewelry taken. Not sure why she took expensive jewelry but she did. She has insurance but lost some things that had sentimental value. They flew on US Air.

My question is ... Could this have happened in the US. It seems to me there is not much time from when the plane lands in BZ to when you pick up your luggage. Does anyone in BZ even look in luggage before you go though customs?

#439746 - 06/05/12 02:04 AM Re: Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage [Re: Mary1220]
iluvbelize Offline
I would bet that a US TSA 'agent' probably stole the jewelry. There have been many of these types of incidents stateside and most point directly to the TSA. Terrible.

#439750 - 06/05/12 02:36 AM Re: Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage [Re: Mary1220]
Mary1220 Offline
That is what I was trying to tell my friends that it probably happened in the States.

#439757 - 06/05/12 08:38 AM Re: Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage [Re: Mary1220]
seashell Offline
Mary, your friend's luggage wasn't locked? And did she report this to the airlines and/or TSA? If her jewelry was in a small bag, maybe it was removed by TSA during a search and didn't get put back in versus actually being stolen. Then later TSA wouldn't know to whom it belonged. It could be sitting in storage somewhere along the way.

#439758 - 06/05/12 12:56 PM Re: Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage [Re: Mary1220]
Mary1220 Offline
Yes they reported it to US Air and Tropic Air. It was in a bag but she said she could tell the bag was looked into quick as it was a mess like someone just rummaged through it quickly things unfolded. Yes it was not locked.
I never lock my bags as I don't put anything too valuable in them.
I just wondered if this was something that happened a lot? They travel often and said she had never had any trouble before.
I just don't want them to blame BZ if it did not happen in BZ.
Mary

#439764 - 06/05/12 01:22 PM Re: Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage [Re: Mary1220]
dabunk Offline
With the new laws I believe you cannot lock your bags anymore

#439769 - 06/05/12 01:34 PM Re: Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage [Re: Mary1220]
Diane Campbell Offline
you can use a special "TSA" lock - they have little gizmos that open them but what good these locks are is beyond me.

#439785 - 06/05/12 02:27 PM Re: Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage [Re: Diane Campbell]
seashell Offline
supposedly keep the riffraff out. Then if TSA has opened your bag, you are supposed to have a piece of paper in there saying so. Also, your lock should have a red/green thing that pops up or makes the color change, alerting you that the lock has been opened. I won't travel without my luggage being locked with a TSA style lock.

#439794 - 06/05/12 03:31 PM Re: Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage [Re: Mary1220]
LaurieMar Offline
Common sense says wherever the bags were sitting the longest presents the best opportunity for theft.

Several months ago, a friend and I traveled to Martinique, via a layover in Puerto Rico. Upon arrival at our hotel in Martinique, we each discovered we had been ripped off. My bag had a TSA lock on it, so it doesn't matter...they can still get in. They didn't leave a note either. Instead, my travel flat iron and my favorite perfume, just given to me as a gift, was gone. My friend's camera and jewelry were gone. The thief had to have opened up a zippered pouch in my suitcase to get my items, so it wasn't just rifling through the luggage, it was looking to steal things. This did not happen at the airport in Fort de France as we saw our luggage being loaded off the prop plane and taken right to the baggage area.

I never pack valuables in my checked luggage to avoid this kind of thing. I contacted American Airlines via e-mail and told my story, requesting they take some action. They "apologized" and deposited 10k miles in my account and did the same for my friend. While this doesn't replace your stolen items, it was at least something.

In hindsight, I probably should have sent a nasty gram to the TSA...

#439796 - 06/05/12 03:34 PM Re: Airport security? tourist lost items in luggage [Re: Mary1220]
Judyann H. Offline
I'm sorry to hear this....Unfortunately this has happened to my husband and I several times....Each and every time when traveling through the Miami Airport....We have 'lost' a movie Cd player, a palm pilot and a variety of power cords and other electronic games we use to travel with.....

In more than 40 flights from California through Houston to Belize we have not had an issue....Yet I have received a couple of those little notes from TSA....

I'd like to write the TSA guys back and ask them to pack my things the way I had them....I'm a bit particular that way, but nonetheless they have not taken anything that I know of....

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (JohnVan3, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,303 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.