Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MathieusDeli #440177 06/09/12 07:15 AM
[Linked Image]

Lobster season is set to open on June 15th. That's the day this delicacy will be able to be served in your omelettes, entrees, and favorite dishes. Don't forget, Lobster Fest, a celebration of the crustacean that was the lifeblood of the economy of the island for many decades, begins on June 29th. Mark your calendars!

If you walk around the village you may run into fishermen preparing their lobster traps such as those pictured below, readying themselves for the start of the season.

Caye Caulker Chronicles

MathieusDeli #440640 06/15/12 08:24 AM

Time to enjoy the crusty crustacean: Open Lobster Season kicks off festivities

The Belize lobster season 2012/2013 opens today, June 15th and will end at midnight on the 14th of February, 2013. For the past few weeks traditional local fishermen on Ambergris have been gearing up, building new and repairing lobster traps and placing lobster sheds on the waterbeds in anticipation of the new season. Fishermen look forward to the opening of the long awaited lobster season since it generates income into the local economy from the start of the season to the very end. The first big demand for the spiny lobster is during the lobster festivals planned in various parts of the country including Caye Caulker Village, Placencia and San Pedro, Ambergris Caye.

San Pedro is the first to kick off the lobster festivals with a week-long calendar of activities. The event kicks off on Friday June 15th at El Divino (Banana Beach Resort) featuring the opening ceremonies. According to the San Pedro Lobster Festival Committee it is a great way to launch the festival on the same day the season opens and with great food. The Lobster Fest will run through Sunday, June 24th. Each day, the event will move to a different location, each with a singular menu depending on the venue.

The one main highlight for the San Pedro Lobster Festival includes the Lobster Crawl, which is basically a passport that will allow you to collect stamps at each location every night of the event. The stamps will entitle the passport holder to raffle tickets for a vacation package for Lobster Fest 2013. Another highlight is the first ever Eco-Pro Kayak Challenge. The two-day event, which starts on Friday June 22nd, will take kayakers completely around the entire Ambergris Caye, into creeks, major lagoons, along the reef and ending at the SP Central Park on Saturday, June 23rd. The end of the kayak race will coincide with the annual Lobster Fest Block party on Saturday June 23rd on Barrier Reef Drive (Main Street). Lobster food booths will be plentiful and the air will be filled with live musical performance which will see the participation of the Panerrifix Steel Band hailing from Belmopan City.

On our sister island of Caye Caulker, the Lobster fest will be held on June 30th and July 1st. There will be many events leading to the Lobster Festival with one of main highlights being the Miss Lobster Festival Queen 2012 pageant. The pageant will take place on Friday June 29th at Palapa's Garden starting at 7PM and will see five lovely and talented young ladies vie for the coveted crown. The newly crowned Miss Lobster Festival Queen 2012 will deliver the main address the following morning welcoming the festival goers to La Isla Cari�osa on June 30th for the two-day festival that end on Sunday July 1st.

Just as the lobster season opens the Fishers Department reminds Belizeans as well as fishermen about the regulations regarding the catching and consumption of lobster. In Belize, for a lobster to be legal for consumption the tail of the lobster must weigh over four ounces or the cape length/carapace must exceed three inches. The carapace of a lobster is referred to the part of the crustacean where the head connects to the tail all the way to the center of the pair of small spines located between the two eyes. The only lobster regulated in Belize is the Caribbean Spiny Lobster scientifically known as Panulirus Argus locally referred to as crawfish (crayfish).

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

MathieusDeli #440668 06/15/12 10:19 AM
Go HUNGRY tonight!

Change your Latitude
MathieusDeli #440702 06/15/12 04:42 PM

Lobster Season Opened!
The Belize Lobster Season 2012 has officially opened and already fishermen are bringing in their catch of the day. Fishermen at both the beach side of the island and at El Embarcadero (docking station) are excited since the first day yielded an excellent catch. Since 4AM this morning, fishermen went out to sea, some to check their traps and sheds, while others simply decided to search the reef for the delicious crustacean. At the beach side, the Big Daddy's boat came in shortly before 11AM with over 120 pounds of lobster tail, all ordered out by various businesses who will no doubt offer lobster on the menu starting today. "It was a good day for us," said one of the five fishermen on board Big Daddy's boat who proudly stood next to their catch.

It's Lobster Time! - Season Officially Opened
Fishermen arrived close to midday with a hefty load of lobster which were of very good size. Lobster season in Belize runs from June 15th to midnight on the 14th of February, 2013. Tourists and locals will now be able to enjoy a variety of delicious lobster dishes cooked in all restaurants or at home instead of only the select few restaurants which are provided with licenses to serve lobster throughout the year.

MathieusDeli #440732 06/16/12 08:38 AM

VIDEO: Lobsters Beware!

What's Up Today, Gerry: Lobster Fishing

I went lobster fishing for the very first time and I got the whole experience from catching the lobster to cleaning the tails. Now the only thing left is cooking and eating it! This is my day's adventure, lobster fishing!

Mr. Mario Graniel taught me the skillful technique in capturing the lobster and collecting them. As I snorkeled to the bottom to take a peep under the shade, I was amazed at how many lobsters were just peacefully waiting for me to test my skills on. At first it was a bit tough to hook the lobsters, but as soon as I got the hang of it, it was beware of the lobster killer. Rawr!

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

MathieusDeli #440776 06/16/12 03:54 PM
Absolutely awesome video....Gerry you have the coolest job.....Now It's time for dinner....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.