Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Director Ben Popik talks about his film "The Exquisite Corpse Project"

Ben-Popik; Director, The Exquisite Corpse Project

Recently, director Ben Popik sat down with The San Pedro Sun to talk about his new film “The Exquisite Corpse Project“; a Comedy/Documentary that portrays a group of guys who work together to write a screenplay for a film, but with one major twist� they each person only get to read the last five pages of the previous section the other person wrote. Ben brings together five comedians, and surprises them with a challenge: to each write fifteen pages of a movie, having read only the previous five pages of the script. They agree with one stipulation: if they write the movie, he has to make it. It sounds like a really weird concept and you'd think� "no way in hell would that work". Well you know what, it does, and it turns out to be one kick-ass feel-good fun movie about nothing and everything. It’s a comedy, a love story, a psycho-sexual thriller, and a supernatural adventure all in one! One Movie� Five Writers� a thousand different twists and turns!

Ben is a New York native who’s now living and working in San Pedro where he and his wife Joanna own “Island Films” a full-service, HD video-production firm. In his own words, he is here because “it’s so beautiful�I love this country, this country’s amazing!” He's no stranger to working both on and off the camera, having worked on tons of productions with companies such as Discovery Channel and his own production company Olde English Comedy, producing/writing/editing comedies and films for television for over eight years. This however is his first feature length film and judging by the reaction of critics who've seen it so far, it's a really good one.

The movie is a film about making a film. A documentary that takes you through the process of writing a feature length picture, when all you have to work on is the last five pages of what somebody else wrote. Ben feels that this is a fresh and fun concept that allows the viewers to get a glimpse of all the drama and madness that goes on behind the scenes and then gives them the finished product in all its beautiful madness. Not only do you get to see what they made� but you get to see them making it, and all the bumps and hurdles in between.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

This is wonderful. I can hardly wait to see it. Ben & Joanna are my neighbors and good people.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I am looking forward to the movie too! It looks creative and funny. Excited for Ben and Joanna.

Will the movie be screened at the movie theater here, I hope?

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Knowing Ben and having seen a lot of their work at Island Films, I bet the movie will be super cool and very artful.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

F
F
Hey everyone! Thanks for your kind words and support.

The film just won the Audience Choice Award at the film festival it premiered at, and we also received the great news that we were accepted into this year's Belize Film Festival. So, we'll be showing the film in Belize in mid-July! I'm not sure where yet, but hopefully we'll be able to show it on the island so we can share it with all of you.

Thanks again!

To follow the progress of the film, "like" it on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ExquisiteCorpseProject

Island Films | www.islandfilms.bz
So proud of you guys! You deserve it!

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Awesome news -- congrats Ben! Can't wait to see your film!

Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Triple wins for Exquisite Corpse Project screenings in Los Angeles

Ben Popik at Dances with Films premier with wife Joanna

Director Ben Popik of Island films here in San Pedro is fresh off the heels of three huge accomplishments at film festivals and screenings of his film 'The Exquisite Corpse Project'. The motion picture kicked off its Film Festival run at the Dances with Films Festival is Los Angeles, California USA and nabbed the Audience Choice Award making it one for one on its debut. Just days later the film snatched up another big win when it took Best Documentary at LA's New Wave Festival. Ben also received Best Director at the LA New Wave Festival making it three wins in the two film festival race! Imagine that� three awards in two screenings… not bad for your first feature length film! Ben says that they are now working on doing a national tour throughout the US in the next few months as well as having the film available online for viewing.

When speaking with The San Pedro Sun Ben offered his gratitude to his local fans by saying, "I’d like to thank the San Pedro community for the incredible support they’ve shown us and our movie over the past few months, and we can’t wait to show it to everyone at the Belize International Film Festival in July! We feel extremely fortunate to live in such a supportive community."

So be on the lookout for 'The Exquisite Corpse Project' showing at the Belize Film Festival, July 13th - 17th.

Congrats to Ben Popik on the great success of his film so far.

The Exquisite Corpse Awards are:
Audience Choice Award – Dances With Films
Best Documentary – LA New Wave Film Festival
Best Director – LA New Wave Film Festival

San Pedro Sun

BEN & JOANNA
I feel so honored to be your neighbor and friend. You two have done yourself and our island proud. And I must say you both look lovely. Hurry home.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
B
B
Can anyone tell me if this movie is fit for children? 12 years old.
I don't want to have a bunch of explaining to do during and after the film.
It's at the Paradise this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.