FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

The Palometa Report: Catch and Release law for Bonefish, Permit and Tarpon
In 2009 The GOB passed the catch and release law for bonefish, permit and tarpon. We were the first country in the world to do so, and thus protected a valuable tourism commodity here in Belize. Along with this law came the sport fishing licenses from Coastal Zone Management. The funds collected from license sales directly impact the enforcement of our fisheries laws. Almost anywhere in the world you sport fish you need a license, the same is now true in Belize. Daily license run $20BZ per day or $50BZ per week. They can be obtained thru the shop or online at www.coastalzonebelize.org. When taking photos of your bonefish, permit or tarpon please make sure you handle the fish with care. This means keeping it in the water until youíre ready to take your photo, and promptly returning it to the water when finished. The more you handle a fish the more stress you put on that fish. This is when mortality rates increase. By using common sense and careful release procedures, catch and release fishing is sustainable and can only help our bonefish, permit and tarpon stocks.

Little Angels dance and sing at the end of the school year
At the end of the school year, there are lots of fun events planned to showcase what students have learned. More than graduations, this is a chance for parents and guardians to see their children interact, perform and be at their best surrounded by their peers and encouraged by their teachers on stage. Little Angels Pre-School students and teachers were at the San Pedro Lionsí Den singing, dancing, reciting and showing their best to their families. Applause was hearty, and all the students had big smiles as they recited poetry, sang songs, acted out nursery rhymes, and danced. The next step is graduation for the little tykes, and then itís on to big kid school. Based on their recital, they seem very much prepared for their next step in education. Keep up the good job everyone!

Misc Belizean Sources

VIDEO: Young Artists Association - Sweet Belizean Child
An Belizean classic featuring an all-star group of artists. (2000)

El Pescador's Cesar Acosta 1st Belizean FFF Certified Casting Instructor
El Pescador Lodge is honored to announce that Captain Cesar Acosta is the first Belizean to become a Certified Casting Instructor by the International Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF). Cesar is a 2nd generation El Pescador Guide following in his father, Hilberto Acostaís, footsteps. Cesar loves to fish and loves to cast. He consistently wins casting distance competitions. Cesar began his journey towards FFF casting instructor certification in December 2010 when El Pescador organized a workshop with FFF Master Instructor and Board of Governor, Gordon ďGordyĒ Hill. Gordy ignited a fire in all of El Pescadorís guides to further our understanding of the mechanics of casting as well as the teaching of the sport. Ali Flota commented about the clinic ďAll El Pescador Guides are exceptional at guiding anglers in our diverse and unique fishery. However, in an effort to offer the best possible service to our anglers, we also want to be able to teach them the sport. Salt water fly fishing can be frustrating. It is important to have a team of Guides that will support and assist our guests on their journey in fly fishing.Ē

Female Self Defense Training
Another candlelight vigil is tonight at 7:00pm, in front of the police station. Next Sunday, the 17th, Renee Wentz, UB Counselor, will lead 2 free classes in female self defense. The first will be from 8:30 until noon, in Georgeville, at the Georgeville Community Center. The second will be from 1:30pm until 5:00pm, in Cayo, under Meluchi's palapa. https://www.facebook.com/S.H.E.Thing.SelfDefense

Computer Excel has a new website
Computer Excel, located in the Plaza del Rio mall, has a new website. Eiber Navarrete and Jose Bolvito did a great job. Best of Cayo has Computer Excel as the best internet cafe. They have the best rates, and they have air conditioning.

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Press Release from the Caye Caulker Lobster Fest Pageant Committee
Pageant fever is high on Caye Caulker right now, and the Pageant committee is in full swing with their preparations for this yearís Miss Lobster Fest 2012. Five daring and vivacious young ladies are vying for the title this year and are already in training for what promises to be one of the best pageants yet. The Miss Lobster Fest pageant committee is once again looking forward in working with local national designers. Starting off the show, the ladies will be wearing dresses made by Mr. Emil Alvarez of Emil Alvarez House of Couture, followed by Mr. Gabriel Garciaís Costume designs. The outfit designs and concepts themselves are going to be setting the stage ablaze Ė just as well as the girls, who are going to be wearing them.

Blogs

2012 San Pedro, Belize Lobsterfest Schedule
Bill and I are getting so excited to be able to go to our first Lobersterfest in San Pedro, Belize. This year it is supposed to be even bigger and better than before with 9 days of activities and of course lots of lobster to eat. The official lobster season opens back up on June 15th which is the first day of Lobersterfest. The Official 2012 Lobsterfest Schedule

Tranquilo in Panama: Playa Venao & Pedasi on the Azuero Peninsula
We decided to take an overnight trip to the Azuero Peninsula...the area that is sometimes called the heart of Panama. Beautiful beaches, old colonial towns and indigenous history? What's not to like? We found a reasonably priced place to stay on line with both camping and rooms, packed the cars and took the the roads. It was about 2 hours from Coronado (our home base) to Divisa (at the top center of this map) before we turned to head south down the peninsula. Panama is different from the other central American countries I've visited..very beautiful landscape, relatively few tourists but incredibly modern infrastructure. There was road construction everywhere during our trip...new bridges, expanded highways...it should be interesting to see if Panama can maintain its charm and feeling of untouched nature. The first large town on the peninsula is Chitre...replete with four lane roads, traffic lights, strip malls & huge home good stores and fast food. But just about 5 minutes away (we were a bit lost) we were in a tiny charming plaza with an ancient looking church and old men in Panama hats (flipped up in front) idly chatting in the shade. Hopefully they can keep both the old and the new. (Like this older man and his grandson collecting wood in a horse drawn carriage while surfers catch some waves on Playa Venao.) Most of what I've read says that the land on this peninsula has been harshly deforested...and that may be true but it has left beautiful rolling pasture land dotted with HUGE old forest trees. Particularly after we passed the town of Pedasi (I'll get back to that later) and made the 40 minute drive to Playa Venao (or Venado) where we were staying.

Lori Purdy Fundraiser
Lori broke her femur and needed over a week in hospital and major surgery, including pins and all. Need to help pay the billsÖ Lazy Croc will be selling plates of food, Chicken Gumbo over rice, and something else that iíll update when i know more Also, looking for people to bring/donate desserts for sale. Cakes, cupcakes, brownies, cookiesÖetc. Lori works hard in the community she has been a long time volunteer with Saga Humane Society. If you cannot make it to the fundraiser you can always drop off a donation at Pampered Paws or Saga.

How Summer Camp Will Change My Life
My name is Alysha Magana and I am eleven years old. I would like to join your Eco Kids Summer Camp because I would like to learn more about the environment. This summer camp will help me because the flora and fauna of Belize live in our environment and I want to immerse myself in it. Recently in Houston, Texas I was part of an eco team that built a green house and we went around picking garbage and when we would find a plastic bottle we would put it in the recycle bin. On your website, I notice that you list several onsite activities but it is the Rainforest Medicine Trail that has caught my attention. When I graduate from Primary School and continue on to high school and University I want to study to become a doctor so I believe learning the different species of medicinal plants will help me in my future career. The environment is very important in our lives because if it falls apart, we will not be able to build it back up. Pollution breaks down our environment but people donít realize it so they continue to pollute it. Another problem is deforestation, people cut down trees and are not conscious that trees produce oxygen for us to breathe.

Make a Difference + Keep Earth Beautiful + Keep Nature Beautiful
I want to be an eco-kid because I like this planet, but lately I have started to not like if so much. The earth is supposed to be beautiful, but with all the garbage on our streets, in the drains, and on the sidewalks, it is a little Ė no, not a little, a lot less beautiful. When we leave garbage everywhere, people will not want to visit our city. That will bring down our tourism and hurt our economy. We throw out all kinds of things, and a major one is PLASTIC! Do you know how long it takes to decompose? Me neither, but thatís not the real point, we need to RECYCLE. Do I have to spell it out for you? R-E-C-Y-C-L-E. Now letís talk about cars. Did you know that the exhaust from cars can deplete the ozone layer? If the ozone layer is gone, it canít protect us from the sunís radiation. The sun is so hot, if we donít have an ozone layer, the sunís radiation will slowly (well maybe not so slowly), burn our earth to DUST. If we would all just recycle instead of throwing our garbage on the streets, there would be no pollution from burning garbage. If you throw garbage in our waters, it will pollute the water. If fish happen to eat this garbage, they will die! If they die, we will not have any fish to eat, but you donít care, do you? I want to be an eco-kid to make a difference. Other kids should want to be eco-kids too. I donít see why not! If one out of every two people make a difference by cleaning up our streets and using their cars a lot less often, the planet would become a cleaner, prettier, healthier place.

Xunanatunich and Mr. Greedy's in Cayo Travel Article
Xunantunich and Mr. Greedy's get some good press in this travel article, as does the Western Guest House. "The Mayan site was a mile further on and was a pleasant walk through the jungle We saw all sorts of birds, butterflies and some quite large lizards. Xunantunich was thought to have been a small Mayan town which flourished until around 900AD. The most imposing of the structures were the rulersí residence and the ďCastilloĒ, a huge pyramid built as a shrine. On the east and west of the Castillo were enormous friezes on which were carvings of Mayan gods and animals. When these were discovered they were thought to be too delicate to expose to the elements and so fibreglass copies now grace the walls of the pyramid whilst the originals have been re-buried a metre behind."

International Sources

Caribbean Urged to Prepare for a Tsunami
The magnitude 4.0 earthquake recorded off the coast of Antigua on 11 May is "a warning that the Caribbean should prepare for a much more severe earthquake to come," says a leading expert. Seismologist Joan Latchman of the Seismic Research Unit in Trinidad and Tobago said: "Caribbean islands lie in an area of relatively high earthquake activity and an earthquake of 8.0 can hit any day based on patterns previously recorded." Last month, the Caribbean was encouraged to prepare for a devastating tsunami by the Intergovernmental Oceanic Commission (IOC) of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Wendy Watson-Wright, Assistant Director-General at IOC-UNESCO has also urged the Caribbean's 40 million people and its 22 million annual tourists to take the threat of a tsunami seriously as it is a case of "when and not if" the region will be struck by the giant waves triggered by earthquakes and volcanic activity.

PCC contingent studies abroad in Belize
A group of Pitt Community College students, faculty and staff traveled to Central America last month as part of a study abroad program in the coastal nation of Belize. Nine students, along with English instructor Tabitha Miller and International Programs and Services Coordinator Andre Gregory, explored the Belizean countryside from May 6-19 to learn about the nationís cultures and traditions. Through lectures provided by faculty from the University of Belize that were coordinated by the Institute for Sustainable International Studies, the group also gained insight into the Maya and Garifuna people. According to Miller, the PCC contingent stayed at Midas Resort in San Ignacio for most of the trip and took tours of the Belize Botanical Gardens, Blue Hole, the Maya Womenís Co-op in San Antonio, and the ancient Xunantunich and Cahal Pech Mayan ruins. Miller said that throughout their visit, students interacted with many of the local people, including artists and major political figures. The last few days of the trip, she said, were spent seaside in Hopkins Village. In their downtime, Miller said students tried their hand at river tubing, canoeing on the Macal River, and snorkeling in South Water Caye.