Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

From the San Pedro Sun...

On Monday night a group of fifty some folks gathered at El Divino to discuss a growing concern in the areas where they live. A total of four neighbourhoods were represented, including Alta Mar, San Marcos, San Pablo and Escalante. The sad stories that most of these folks shared in common was falling prey to thieves, while the others who have been spared the traumatic experience fear for the worse. With stories of brazen in-broad-daylight break-ins, residents have come home to find broken windows, ransacked rooms and missing items of personal and monetary value that they most likely will never see again. Although the point of the meeting was for each area to organize their own Neighborhood Watch program, the stricken residents could not help but share their horror stories with one another.

Sadly, the fact is that this small group of victims represent the majority of people here on the island. Do you know ANYONE in San Pedro who does not have a story about having a bike stolen, their golf cart stolen, their house broken into, items missing from their yard, mugged on the beach or ripped off by an embezzling employee? I challenge you to find someone who has lived here for any amount of time and doesn't have some story to share.

So is it just me or do you find this observation disturbing? How are we letting this happen to us? Is this how we want to live, behind bars on our windows and in fear of sounds that go bump in the night? At the meeting we were told to get to know WHO are and ARE NOT our neighbours. Learn to recognize familiar faces on your street and suspect the ones you've never seen before. As a community we need to unite to protect our homes and our families. We all know the limitations of the San Pedro police force and we have to take measures into our own hands. Share phone numbers with your neighbours and keep a watchful eye at all times. A Neighborhood Watch program can work wonders in your area and with everyone doing their part changes can be made. That said pressure still needs to be applied to our town leaders to work with the police in remedying this problem. We are a small island with just a matter of a few miles encompassing our town core and with effective policing; along with community involvement we can take back our streets from the thieves who currently own them.

Ambergris Caye Crime Stoppers

I have watched over the past 6 months or so about the increase in crime on the island I call home and wondered what I could do since I am not in Belize right now so I have decided to set up a central web site to do what I can to help with the fight against Crime on the island and I have called it Ambergris Caye Crime Stoppers.

The focus on the site and facebook page is to have a central place where there is information available to protect yourself and your property and ways to make it harder for the criminals to commit crimes and the best way for that is prevention.

It also has a Wall of Shame where known criminals can be posted so everyone knows who they are and can keep and extra vigil.

Additionally the Twitter and facebook page and facebook group can act as an instant notification system so if a crime is committed or boat stolen etc then the whole island can be notified within minutes of the crime being committed and Instantly you have 40,000 sets of eyes on the lookout.

The whole focus of the site is to post articles on security and crime prevention as well as keep the whole community informed about who the Criminals are and to fight crime as a united community.

On some of the posts there will be links to Amazon where recommended items can be purchased (if not available locally) and any purchases made through those links Amazon pays a 4% commission and this will be put aside and then a decent amount is available we will it to purchase items that can be donated to police or anything else that the group decides.

Here are the sites

Ambergris Caye Crime Stoppers

www.AmbergrisCayeCrimeFighters.com (Work in Progress)

Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ambergris-Caye-Crime-Stoppers/187709028025550

You can Join the facebook group here

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ambergriscayecrimestoppers/

Follow us on twitter

CrimeStoppersAC

Please LIKE the facebook page and get onboard with this as i am sure with the Power of the Community, Social Media and technology we can make it way harder for criminals to operate.

Gaz Cooper

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 06/12/12 12:44 AM.
Thanks Garry.

P
P
Great idea ,thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.