Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#441506 - 06/27/12 10:22 PM Crime
Don&Sharon Offline
We have been hearing that has been a problem with some gang members coming over from the mainland and breaking in and robbing. Anybody know about this? Any info would be appreciated. We always knew it was quite safe, but were wondering if this has been an issue.
Thanks Don & Sharon

#441509 - 06/27/12 11:07 PM Re: Crime [Re: Don&Sharon]
Tim Callanan Offline
We have had an increase in break in's.It is hard to say where the perps came from .We are diligently working to combat the problem.
You should have a heightened alertness, where are you staying?

#441510 - 06/27/12 11:12 PM Re: Crime [Re: Don&Sharon]
elbert Offline
Don and Sharon, if your here on vacation you won't notice a difference. If you live here for some time like myself you would notice that we have more crime than we did in the past but relatively speaking its still very low.
The mayor is talking about increasing the police force by 4 officers, smile for us that's a lot.

#441514 - 06/28/12 12:12 AM Re: Crime [Re: Don&Sharon]
Diane Campbell Offline
Ditto what Elbert said.
Come, relax and enjoy.

#441516 - 06/28/12 12:30 AM Re: Crime [Re: Diane Campbell]
Tim Callanan Offline
We had guests in last week,they are booking their return trip now.

#441546 - 06/28/12 02:23 PM Re: Crime [Re: Don&Sharon]
Bear Offline
We've seen no increase in crime merely an increase in bookings and comments on how charming and delightful the island and its people are. An intial reply (since deleted) to Don & Sharons was pretty over the top doom & gloom. I thought it was unduly alarmist and painted a false picture.

I'll defer to Elberts assessment of the situation. On a recent sailing trip with some San Pedrano friends I happend to mention the "crime wave" and they looked at me like I'd walked into the room naked. "What are you talking about?" when I explained, they only laughed saying they certainly werent aware of a "massive crime wave". I think the board community becomes obsessed with certain topics at times and those obsessions can unduly influence people who dont otherwise have access to the facts or live here. Mea culpa et caveat reader.

#441554 - 06/28/12 03:52 PM Re: Crime [Re: Don&Sharon]
lovey and thurston Offline
Have you been broken into yet?

#441561 - 06/28/12 04:28 PM Re: Crime [Re: lovey and thurston]
Amanda Syme Offline
No, haven't been broken into. It is obviously a horrible experience and something I do not want to have to deal with. We do have a fence, have a dog and support the SACNW patrol. We have forged a relationship with our neighbours and keep a good eye on one another. Other vacant houses within close proximity of our home have not been broken into either.

It is a problem, for sure, and it is frustrating trying to combat the issue - but we are making headway and the more people that jump on board and work towards a positive solution the faster we will reach the goal of no more break-ins.

#441575 - 06/28/12 06:25 PM Re: Crime [Re: Don&Sharon]
Scuba do Offline
We have been broken into on SP,but all I need to do is read the local papers from our home in Illinois to see that crime on the island can still be considered relativily low compared to the gunplay we see happening in the USA daily.We were broken into after a guest of ours had his laptop out at the pool all day, some crimes on SP are still crimes of convienence so using your head really helps while on the island.

#441576 - 06/28/12 06:33 PM Re: Crime [Re: Don&Sharon]
Jette Offline
Where in Illinois? I am in Michigan and the heat is on? Waiting for some rain to hit.... anything there?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 40 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.