Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#441541 - 06/28/12 01:18 PM K-9 and trainers to combat crime in Belize
Marty Online   happy

They say man’s best friend is his dog and recently members of the Belize Defense Force, the Police Department and the Customs Department were assigned to their best friends and work partners. Several dogs were donated to the force under the US initiative, CARSI, and both the dogs and their trainers completed intense training sessions. They trained in various parts of the country, practicing to sniff out drugs, ammunition and recovery of weapons in places such as cemeteries and the airport. It’s a strategy that places a heavy emphasis on the animal that for many is still considered a pet. But the CARSI programme spent well over one hundred and fifty thousand dollars to train the animals that are now being deployed into action in the streets. Members of the US Embassy, and the Ministry of National Security attended a brief session where certificates were handed out at the completion of the program on Tuesday at the Police Training Academy in Belmopan.

David Henderson

David Henderson, Acting Commissioner of Police

“The K-9 unit will greatly enhance the capacity of the Belize Police Department, the Military and the Customs Department as a K-9 unit which will be proactive in the fight against drugs and illegal firearms. And in conclusion, I believe that if the unit stays focus, definitely we can have some reduction in crime across the country; particularly in Belize where crime is more prevalent. And I believe if the K-9 unit is dispatched to the different border areas, it will greatly assist us with the in transit of drugs through our country.”

George Lovell

Lt. Col-Ret. George Lovell, C.E.O., Ministry of National Security

“It is my hope that with the new K-9 system being put into effect that we will see a marked increase in the amount of interdiction and arrests. I am pleased ladies and gentlemen today to say that it was the U.S. who came and rescued us out of a very difficult situation because the dogs were already in Belize and already trained these dogs and had I not gotten the U.S. Embassy through their CARSI program to help us with an additional four dogs, we would not have had the amount of dogs on the street. The program would have continued but not at the level and the magnitude that we are realizing here today. So I would also like to public thank the United States Government and the Embassy here in Belize.”

Nina Hawthorne

Nina Hawthorne, Charge D’Affairs, Embassy

“We’re very proud that this is a part of CARSI that we were able to help out in this extraordinary program. I would want to also thank the ministry, the police department, the customs department, the B.D.F. for their participation; their willingness to do this—again a terrific partnership. I especially want to thank the EODT team who have done such an extraordinary job to bring this to reality and to bring us to today with the success that we are having today. So we are having a K-9 graduation, but they don’t gowns and hats with little tassels, but that’s okay. I especially want to thank the handlers. I know that you all have worked so hard with these dogs and it’s not just the matter of the dogs; it’s a team. And the team is the key to really making it a success and making it work.”

Channel 5

#441604 - 06/29/12 03:41 AM Re: K-9 and trainers to combat crime in Belize [Re: Marty]
Cooper Offline
Its a fact that education of treatment and care of animals in Belize, especially dogs is in great need. It has been a problem with police here that own dogs and do not feed or care for them, we actually have some foster families that are bringing these police owned dogs to the clinic for such basics as vaccinations. I did not read that any type of proper care, or explaining the emotional needs of dogs were given at these training sessions. I am not reffering to police dogs trained, but just dogs in general owned by police here, but aint it the same thing in the long run. Years ago the ploice came to check out the house downstairs for drugs but the guy was off island, they came to our door with thier trained dog and we let them in, that dog was so hungry he was so thin he literally attacked our trash can to eat the contents. Hopefully how to care for the animals was included..

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Marty, wiley, 2 invisible), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,043 Topics
462,256 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.