Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44248 - 09/26/01 02:38 PM Peeka-Peeka
IslandinParadise Offline
Can anyone tell me when pica-pica season is or if there is even a "season"? I've never had any trouble with them, but have heard stories about their stings. Thank you-Melissa

[This message has been edited by IslandinParadise (edited 09-26-2001).]

#44249 - 09/26/01 03:32 PM Re: Peeka-Peeka
CAPTAIN bigzeke Offline
SUMMER MONTHS when the water is real warm.

Pica-Pica plagues Belizean bathers
It goes by many names, but there's no confusing the discomfort and disfigurement that first hits only after you've left the water. Jose Sanchez reports on a malady that will affect more and more Belizeans over the next few months.
Jose Sanchez, Reporting
The sea is one of the attractions that makes Belize and many other places in the Caribbean so enjoyable for both visitors and those of us lucky enough to live here. But that sea also has its dangers. Forget about sharks, stingrays and moray eels. Probably its biggest underwater enemy--especially during the hot summer months--is a condition known as pica-pica. According to Doctor Peter Craig, the cause of pica-pica comes from jellyfish.

Peter Craig, Clinical Dermatologist
"These adult jelly fish have small larva stages about the size of a pin head. And at times there are hundreds of these larvae in the sea. On exposure to these larvae, they get trapped into the swimming gear, the swim trunks, or bikinis. The causative factor is the release a nematocyst, which is a protective part of all of these creatures. It releases a harpoon with a thread under intense pressure that penetrates into the skin and into the dermis, and there you have the reaction beginning. The tip of this harpoon has toxins on it and it's our body's response to these toxins, which causes the clinical presentation."

That clinical presentation includes very intense itching, bumps and skin rashes that occurs once the person reaches the water. Some victims even experience fever and nausea. Just as the condition is known by various names, like sea bather's eruption and sea lice, according to James Azueta, of the Fisheries Department, pica-pica also has more than one suggested cause.

James Azueta, Co-ordinator, Ecosystems Management Unit
"Pica-Pica is actually caused by neurotoxins produced by bacterial blooms. This bacteria is also known as blue green algae. They do bloom during the hot weathers, we're getting into the hot months here in Belize and they do bloom at the same time with the sea thimbles, which are actually minute jellyfish. We cannot see the toxins in the water, but we can feel the effects, and we tend to blame the thimbles as pica-pica."

"The doctor was actually explaining to you the effects of jellyfish, where they actually stinging cells. The stinging cells, what they call nematocysts, they are the ones responsible. They go into the flesh and they stay in there then they have a reaction with the body. The body just tries to defend itself, that's why it itches and it swells and everything. That's common for the body to react to foreign bodies."

Jose Sanchez
"So the outbreak that we have right now could be a combination of both."

James Azueta
"It could be a combination of both."

Peter Craig
"The treatment of sea bathers eruption or pica-pica involves the use of topical creams and we use topical steroids. People with severe cases will need a short course of oral steroids for about five or seven days. There is a commercial preparation that people can buy over the counter, it's hydro cortisone cream that is one percent. That can be used, but in severe cases you will need a stronger topical steroid that is available by prescription."

Jose Sanchez
"And it lasts for how long?"

Peter Craig
"The eruption will last for two to three weeks and the bumps will eventually disappear."

Jose Sanchez
"What can people to avoid pica-pica and the sea thimbles?"

James Azueta
"They should avoid areas of high concentration, with what we call sea moss. You can see them on calm days on top of the water, so just try to avoid these areas."

If you're still tempted to swim in the sea, it's important to remember that there is no product you can use to prevent an eruption once you run into the pica-pica. Reporting for News 5, Jose Sanchez.

Outbreaks of pica-pica have been reported virtually all over Belize, including Turneffe, St. George's Caye and Placencia. SCUBA divers who wear wet suits are not immune, as the tiny creatures easily get inside and make the condition even worse.
There is only one cure for baldness. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine.

#44250 - 09/26/01 07:05 PM Re: Peeka-Peeka
JmHanna Offline
If you dive don't hang around the surface. They rarely extend below 3 feet. Leave the boat and don't surface. Upon you return come up right behind the boat and exit the sea---you will be pica pica free!!!

#44251 - 09/26/01 07:12 PM Re: Peeka-Peeka
Jane39 Offline
bigzeke- when was this article published?

#44252 - 09/26/01 07:21 PM Re: Peeka-Peeka
CAPTAIN bigzeke Offline
Don't know....something I posted way back in May.
There is only one cure for baldness. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine.

#44253 - 09/26/01 07:31 PM Re: Peeka-Peeka
Jane39 Offline
Okay- thanks.
What if you just snorkel? Advice anyone?

I would hate to get this stuff first day of my vacation!

#44254 - 09/26/01 08:01 PM Re: Peeka-Peeka
Marty Offline

#44255 - 09/26/01 09:39 PM Re: Peeka-Peeka
IslandinParadise Offline
Thanks for the info guys-I stand corrected on the spelling. It is strange that this season is in the summer months as that is when I always visit and have never been affected by these creatures. I don't dive, only snorkel-but I am a real water bug and spend 98% of my time in the ocean, glad they haven't ever gotten to me. Melissa

#44256 - 09/27/01 09:29 AM Re: Peeka-Peeka
bzgial Offline
Pica Pica is not common in the summer. I spend every summer in Belize (also spring and fall-I'm on my way back down this weekend). Pica pica algal and larvae blooms occur in the spring mostly. Usually starts showing up in in March and April and may last through May and sometimes into early Jne.
It does occur at the surface so snorkelers are most affected (I know, I had it really bad a couple of Easters ago while at South Water Caye and a mild case last spring at Glover's Atoll - I was smart then, I got out the water immediately)

#44257 - 09/27/01 11:32 AM Re: Peeka-Peeka
Marty Offline
Its more of a spring thing. and they don't bother me at all. I swim right into the middle of them. everybody goes eek eek and i just laugh.

they just don't get me. who knows why. maybe i stink! i don't get poison oak or ivy either, maybe i have a thick hide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Diver Damon, 1 invisible), 41 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,207 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.