Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#443103 07/23/12 09:39 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I am asking this question on behalf of an acquaintance of mine: he, his wife and 2 kids are flying in and out of Cancun next week, but want to rent a car and travel the Yucatan peninsula. Getting to the Blue Hole is high on their wish list. They are not divers, just want to snorkel and they are first time visitors.

I think they have a few open days to accomplish this. Can they leave/drop off a rental car from Cancun somewhere, take the ferry over to San Pedro and go from there? Is there a better way to get there? Approximate cost, website, recommendations?

I would suggest that they go all the way across into Corozal, and they can leave their car in a safe place with the Menzies. We have had a couple of people do this before. I think he charges something like $10 US per day. They could take the flight straight from Corozal to San Pedro, then journey on to the Blue Hole one of the days they are here. Depending on WHEN they are coming, they may need more than a few days to insure a trip to the BH, but if they are coming in Jan - Mar they should not have a difficult time.

Change your Latitude
S
S
Doable but it would require a minimum of 3 days of travel. There is no ferry from Cancun, they would have to come into Belize via Chetumal which is 200 miles from Cancun.

Just FYI I think Menzies charges US$5 a day for parking (and when I last parked there last summer en route to Chetumal, they discounted the parking to zero). Could have gone up, though.

M
M
One option might be to find a car rental company that has offices in Cancun and Chetumal -- Europcar is one I know, only because they are one of the two companies that allow cars into Belize. There's usually a fee for not returning the car to the point of origin, but maybe you can talk to them and see what they can do -- maybe you can leave the car with them and get it again when you head back to Cancun.

From Chetumal, there are 2 daily water taxis to Ambergris Caye, and they continue to Caye Caulker. Both depart Chetumal in the afternoon (3:00 & 3:30 pm). The water taxis return to Chetumal in the early morning.

You can find links to the water taxi websites on this site...
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

If you decide to terminate your car rental at Chetumal, you could return to Cancun on an ADO express bus.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks all. Does anyone know the cost of a trip out to the Blue Hole and any favorite tour operators to take the trip?

Ramon's does it for $175 per person + 12.5% tax for snorkelers

S
S
Does that include the $40US park fee or is that extra?

@Lan.... Yes the last time I had a guest do it they did charge $5 US a day, but then I wanted to give them a realistic price in the event it did go up.

Since they have such a limited time, I really think the water taxi just adds on additional time they don't have. Would be quicker (yet a little more expensive)to do the flight and leave the car in Corozal.

Change your Latitude
Blue Hole Trip (Lighthouse Reef) $260.00 *
Snorkel Blue Hol $195.00 *
* + park fee is 40usd.
Amigos price and they have the best/largest boat in town.
I book them exclusive.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.