Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#443586 - 07/30/12 10:22 PM Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog
collyk Offline
Our local special constable called me to let me know that he witnessed a speeding taxi driver that hit a dog and drove away. The driver's license plate number is 0025 in case you want to be selective about the drivers you choose to do business with. The traffic police are looking for him now and SAGA has been alerted to look for the dog, which sadly was injured but ran away before anyone could assist.

#443587 - 07/30/12 10:39 PM Re: Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog [Re: collyk]
iluvbelize Offline
TERRIBLE! The taxis in SP are a scourge and make visiting 'in town' an often dangerous and crappy experience. There are of course, a few exceptions of good taxi drivers, but most get away with the worst, most dangerous driving I've ever seen. Poor dog, hope he is found and able to be treated and survive this horror. Thank God it wasn't a child, or any other person. SP has its share of problems and while they can't all be resolved overnight, the taxi's are IMO yet another deterrent to tourism. Who wants to dodge speeding broken down minivans driven by aggressive, and in this case, cruel, drivers. To drive off after hitting an animals is sick.

#443588 - 07/30/12 10:57 PM Re: Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog [Re: iluvbelize]
Mike Campbell Offline
Sea Grape between the Gas station and Marina's is the worst. They could give out 50 speeding tickets every day.

#443595 - 07/30/12 11:49 PM Re: Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog [Re: Mike Campbell]
SnoopysMom Offline
Yet the traffic wardens stop us every other day to check our golf cart stickers.....

I am simply amazed that they have not killed a child or tourist, but the imperative word is "yet".

#443596 - 07/31/12 12:10 AM Re: Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog [Re: collyk]
Amanda Syme Offline
A few days ago I was driving by Marina's store behind 2 dogs that were running along the road then from both the left and right side of the street a total of 4 other dogs came out to chase the 2 running dogs. It was chaos, bikes were skidding all over a truck and a few golf carts had to stop, I ended up having to swerve - although I am one of the first to admit I hate speeding taxi's - I also admit that the dog situation on the road in that vicinity is a huge accident waiting to happen.

#443597 - 07/31/12 12:46 AM Re: Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog [Re: collyk]
collyk Offline
From what I understand this wasn't the case in this instance. The driver had to screech his brakes before he hit the speed bump. It easily could have been a child.

#443600 - 07/31/12 01:47 AM Re: Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog [Re: collyk]
Nobody You Know Offline
I'm not saying a word...

#443603 - 07/31/12 02:02 AM Re: Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog [Re: collyk]
Bear Offline
Simple question; was the dog in its yard? or on its leash? As much as I have serious empathy for the animal, the violation of Belizean leash laws seems tgo be a root cause. Maybe direct a bit of ire toward the owner (if there is one). What would be posted if the driver had swerved to miss the dog (whether owned or stray) then crashed and was seriously injured or died, along with say his wife and infant child?

With respect to violations of the traffic codes and speeding drivers the laws, in general, need to be better and more consistently enforced as well as the leash laws.

#443607 - 07/31/12 02:16 AM Re: Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog [Re: collyk]
iluvbelize Offline
The taxi driver was speeding Bear. He could just as well hit a person, or a young child walking in or across the street, as a dog in the road. The taxi drivers get away with... everything as to traffic violations, and thankfully, so far, manslaughter has not occurred, yet.

#443610 - 07/31/12 02:36 AM Re: Speeding Taxi Driver Hits Dog [Re: collyk]
Bear Offline
Luv, I agree about the taxi drivers and their rather casual attitude toward traffic laws. Perhaps I've missed the point of the thread. If the complaint being pursued/debated in this thread is about speeding drivers exclusively, I'll concur and withdraw.

If the thread, as I read it, is that a dog got hurt because a guy was speeding and the implication is that the loose animal got hurt solely due to the driver I'm going to take exception to the reasoning behind that argument. The owner of the animal is to blame for the animal being injured, the speeding driver is a separate but equally conscerning issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.