Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#443675 07/31/12 06:58 PM
G
OP Offline
G
We will be on the island next month.....I need to buy a digicell. Does anyone sell them on Caye Caulker?? Appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions....thanks so much.

A
A
BTL office, Back st. or Blue Wave, Front st.

R
ron Offline
R
you could buy a cheap unlocked cell phone and bring with or unlock your US phone.

Last edited by ron; 08/01/12 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Or at the International airport while you wait for your flight to the Caye

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the info. Just one question....do I need to have it unlocked here in states? I purchased one with sim card not sure if it's unlocked or not. I have Verizon Iphone here in U.S.....not too familiar with sim cards etc.

R
ron Offline
R
Locked means that it is tied to one carrier and will not work with any other carriers service. Not sure how Verizon works in Belize someone will hopefully answer. You can google unlock cell phones and get a lot of places that sell the.

C
C
I went through this in February while preparing for a visit to San Pedro. Verizon advised me they would charge me $2.89 a minute to "roam" using my smart phone in Belize. I researched getting a local sim card to use in an old unlocked GSM phone I keep for traveling, but the cost savings wasn't that significant and there are a whole lot of hoops to jump through. What I ended up doing was renting a Digicell phone from Quicksilver while I was in Belize. Their representative met me at the airport in AC and after some simple paperwork I was good to go. It wasn't a smart phone, but I didn't mind as I just needed it to make and receive voice calls. The cost savings was significant. I can't remember the airtime rate, but I remember spending about $70 for the rental fee and airtime while I was there. I calculated the same usage with my Verizon phone would have been over $200.

Just my experience. I hope it helps.

R
ron Offline
R
I'm not sure what all the hoops you had to jump through were, but all I had to do was buy a new sim card for $25 and I got $10 worth of minutes. I put the sim card in and was making calls. Its the same as my granddaughter does with the unlocked phone I gave her here. She just put an AT&T sim card in and she was calling anyone she wanted. In fact, sometimes her mother swaps in her sim card so she can use that phone instead of hers.

G
G
Can a SIM card be bought at the airport or somewhere on Caye Caulker? I have an unlocked phone and would like to get a SIM card once we arrive.

There is a BTL office next to the rental cars offices in the parking lot area immediately across the street from the Intl Airport. Is it a CDMA or GSM phone? I believe BTL is doing both signal forms now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day