Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Turning to London 2012, a lavish celebration of the world's many cultures and the athletic prowess of its people, officially got underway last Friday with a festival of colors during which each participating country paraded its flag at the opening of the Summer Olympic Games.� It is the biggest and most important global sporting event being hosted for a third time in the United Kingdom.� The climax of the inaugural activities included the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron, fashioned from two hundred and five copper petals representing the competing nations.� Team Belize, made up of three of the Jewel's finest in track and field and judo, is taking part in the competitions.� On Sunday, Belizean martial artist Eddermys Sanchez fell to Miklos Ungvari of Hungary during the elimination round of the men's under sixty-six kilogram tournament.� Sanchez, seen here wearing a white gi, was defeated by a score of one to nothing during the nineteen second bout, advancing Ungvari to the semifinals where he won a silver medal.� Olympic runners, twenty-six year old Kaina Martinez and twenty-four year old Kenneth Medwood, also representing Belize, are scheduled to compete on Friday in the women's hundred meters and men's four hundred meter hurdles, respectively.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Women's athletics 100m heats - results

LONDON, Aug 3 (Reuters) - The Republic of Congo's Lorene Bazolo
won heat 3 of the Olympic women's athletics 100m heats with a
time of 11.87 at the 2012 London Games on Friday at the Olympic
Stadium in London.

Cameroon's Delphine Atangana leads the Olympic women's
athletics 100m qualifying with a time of 11.71.

Belize's Kaina Martinez and Comoros' Ahamada Feta are
currently equal second with a time of 11.81.

Results Table

Heat 4
1. Toea Wisil (Papua New Guinea) 11.60 seconds Q
2. Saruba Colley (Gambia) 12.21 Q
3. Martina Pretelli (San Marino) 12.41
4. Lidiane Lopes (Cape Verde) 12.72
5. Hala Gezah (Libya) 13.24
6. Pramila Rijal (Nepal) 13.33
7. Janice Alatoa (Vanuatu) 13.60
8. Mihter Wendolin (Micronesia) 13.67
9. Tahmina Kohistani (Afghanistan) 14.42

Heat 3
1. Lorene Bazolo (Congo) 11.87 Q
2. Fong Yee Pui (Hong Kong, China) 12.02 Q
3. Patricia Taea (Cook Islands) 12.47
4. Maysa Rejepova (Turkmenistan) 12.80
5. Pauline Kwalea (Solomon Islands) 12.90
6. Laenly Phoutthavong (Laos) 13.15
7. Rubie Joy Gabriel (Palau) 13.34
. Noor Hussain Al-Malki (Qatar) DNF

Heat 2
1. Delphine Atangana (Cameroon) 11.71 Q
2. Kaina Martinez (Belize) 11.81 Q
3. Diane Borg (Malta) 12.00
4. Shinoona Salah Al-Habsi (Oman) 12.45
5. Cristina Llovera (Andorra) 12.78
6. Nafissa Souleymane (Niger) 12.81
7. Asenate Manoa (Tuvalu) 13.48
8. Fatima Sulaiman Dahman (Yemen) 13.95

Heat 1
1. Feta Ahamada (Comoros) 11.81 Q
2. Dana Abdul Razak (Iraq) 11.91 Q
3. Bamab Napo (Togo) 12.24
4. Chauzje Choosha (Zambia) 12.29
5. Afa Ismail (Maldives) 12.52
6. Rima Taha (Jordan) 12.66
7. Aissata Toure (Guinea) 13.25
8. Kaingaue David (Kiribati) 13.61

Qualified for Next Round
1. Toea Wisil (Papua New Guinea) 11.6
2. Delphine Atangana (Cameroon) 11.71
3. Feta Ahamada (Comoros) 11.81
3. Kaina Martinez (Belize) 11.81
5. Lorene Bazolo (Congo) 11.87
6. Dana Abdul Razak (Iraq) 11.91
7. Diane Borg (Malta) 12.00
8. Fong Yee Pui (Hong Kong, China) 12.02
9. Saruba Colley (Gambia) 12.21
10. Bamab Napo (Togo) 12.24

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize in the 2012 London Olympics So Far...VERY Impressive But Is It Over?

Belize first participated in the Olympic games in 1968 (as British Honduras) and has sent a team to the games ever since. (Except for 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics when they boycotted along with the USA and other countries). Belize has never won a medal...yet.

For the 2012 Olympics in London, Belize is represented by a team of three athletes. Eddermys Sanchez (born in Cuba and now living in Belize City) who competed in Judo, Kaina Martinez (born in Stann Creek, Belize) competing in the 100m sprint and 24 year old Kenneth Medwood (born in LA, California, family from Maskall, Belize) in the 400m hurdles.

We all saw them during the opening ceremony. Popular blogs like Divine Caroline and Nick Verreos's Fashion awarded Belize's ultra-preppy outfits some top honors. Personally? I loved them. Especially the white shoes. "Grab my croquet mallets Jeeves. Off to the country club!"

Our judo competitor was unfortunately eliminated on June 29th during his first round. Amazing just to compete on the biggest stage in the world.

For some reason Belize is listed as BIZ.

Ms. Martinez tied for 3rd out of 33 in her preliminary round yesterday. Ummmm...AWESOME. She unfortunately did not qualify to advance during her next race.

Kenneth Medwood was our flag bearer during the opening ceremony and he is also the last Belizean still competing this year. Medwood qualified in his first round and will be running in the semi-finals!

For all the details check out www.2012london.com. Click on BELIZE for the down low on all of our athletes.

All pictures taken from the Belize Olympic and Commonwealth Games Association Facebook page.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on San Pedro Scoop

L
L
The 400m men's hurdle aired here last night just before 10 p.m. with Medwood taking 5th place. Disappointed his name was not even mentioned in the broadcast or during the race.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize's Olympians return home

After two weeks of competition at the Olympics Games 2012 in London, the closing ceremony was held on Sunday celebrating the amazing sporting feats of the athletes who had taken part in the games. Taking home the most medals was the United States with one hundred and four overall; followed by China with eighty-eight medals. And while unfortunately Belize was unable to medal, our athletes-Kaina Martinez, Kenneth Medwood and Eddermys Sanchez-represented the Jewel well. The Belizean populace was proud and hopeful as Martinez and Medwood made their mark in qualifying round of their respective track and field competitions. The Olympians returned home this afternoon and News Five caught up with them at the Philip Goldson International Airport.

Kaina Martinez, Athlete

Kaina Martinez

"Just being at the Olympics itself is a dream come true; it is something that I've wanted to do and being there was like one of the happiest moments that I've ever had in my life. With all the limitations and the things I had to go through to reach there-the hard work-it actually showed me that nothing is impossible. You just have to have the heart, gotta believe in yourself and just keep working; just tell yourself you'll never quit despite of what it is that you have to go through to reach there."

Eddermys Sanchez

Eddermys Sanchez, Athlete

"It was amazing to have the opportunity to defend this country; that even over there, just the top of the competitions that everybody wants to be there and Belize was there. Few of the times, we get the Belize flag with a picture of that defending this country-get on the map-with Belize flag on the front; that was nice. I know this country is ready for the sports and we are waiting for more support to can do it better every time and help new generations to get better in the sports. At this level, just few mistakes makes a difference and training is what makes you don't do mistakes. More training that you have more competition that you have, more opportunity that you have."

Kaina Martinez

"I do look forward to 2016; look forward to it with more support because I definitely need the support to keep on training and actually have a planned trained program to do that. I am running against athletes who have planned programme and have been working years to reach to the Olympics with coaches and all that. So once I get the support that I need, I am very much up to the challenge to bring out the best in me because that's just a part of what I can give. I just hope that Belize on a whole will look out for more athletes who are talented because we have the talent. Let us invest in our athletes and be there throughout-not just for the Olympics-be there from the beginning; support our athletes; do something bigger of it. I mean sports in a whole could bring so much to Belize if much more investment is put into it."

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 147 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.