Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#444442 - 08/13/12 07:28 AM What if there was no Costa Maya Festival?
Marty Online   happy
The Costa Maya Festival Committee Members work their butts off for months to come up with the best plan for the annual event. Be it local, national or international talents, the fact is that at least 120 artists perform on the stage annually. It takes months of coordination to bring the entertainers to the island and give to the visitors and residents the best possible show each year. The Costa Maya Festival Committee has to find food, accommodations and arrange for their travelling expenses. In addition most of them are paid to perform on stage. There are a lot of people contributing of their time to see that the festival is successful. The San Pedro Sun for example, gives its support to see that the festival is successful. We do it because we understand that if the Costa Maya festival is successful, so will most businesses on the island. Having more people on the island means more money for the local economy, especially during the current slow tourist season.

But during the course of this week I stopped to ponder on a statement made by Milo Paz, one of the committee members for the Costa Maya Festival. “What if there was no Costa Maya Festival?” The question was asked because the committee is not getting the support from the community; the same community that is making the big bucks from the Costa Maya publicity. As I understand it, this was the worst year when it came to sponsorship and support from the local business sector. If only all the businesses would understand that if there is no Costa Maya Festival next year, it would mean NO extra business for them in the first week of August.

Click here for the rest of the editorial in the San Pedro Sun!

#444463 - 08/13/12 11:06 AM Re: What if there was no Costa Maya Festival? [Re: Marty]
Amanda Syme Offline
Posted this to the FB page:

‎20 years ago I was on the Sea and Air Festival committee which was the brain child of the (then) Ambergris Caye Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Ove the years it has been extremely satisfying to see the festival grow from strength to strength and I stand up and applaud the hardworking men and women who have dillegently organized this festival each year.
I must admit that I did not attend this year, or in recent years. Truth be known, I like to be snuggled up in my bed by 9pm! Of course my kids make sure they attend each year and they love the pagaent, the musical acts, the dancing and even the mechanical rides on ocassion. My company hasnt sponsored the event directly but does sponsor many local events and charities. This year Miss Top Celebrity was sponsored by my company and by Top Notch. I do agree that it is quite vexing to see companies advertising Costa Maya festival events and specials when they do not donate a penny to the festival's organization but enjoy in the rewards. There are other events and festivals that have been devised to bring in visitors and tourism dollars that face the same problems with lack of sponsorship and support by local businesses that are reaping in the tourist dollars without a thought to the volunteer committees and financial sponsors that actually make the events happen. Events such as the Tres Pescados catch and release fly fish tornament, the Captain Sharks and Belikin fishing tourneys, the San Pedro Lobster Festival and the Holiday Lighted Boat parade, it remains to be seen if the Savour San Pedro food festival will be held again any time soon due to lack of volunteer man power and sponsorship. Each of these events are held during the "slow" season in an effort to increase cash injections to the island during periods when traditionally there was no dicernible tourist interest. All of these events have been created to improve the business for all of the people of the island. Please give back where you can. A little praise and acknowledgement to the organisers is appreciated, but what is needed is financial sponsorship and assistance in planning. No donation or offer of help is too small! Consider giving a little time, a little money or donating a prize to any of these worthy events that have been held so that we can continue to survive in an ailing economy. Viva San Pedro!

#444466 - 08/13/12 11:21 AM Re: What if there was no Costa Maya Festival? [Re: Marty]
shuffles Offline
I think that more smaller businesses would sponsor, but as I understand it, the minimum for sponsorship is $3,000.00. If businesses were given the option of participating at a lower cost (particularly in low season) then I think more would participate. We have been to many of the activities each year, including the pageant, however..... most of the events do not start until very late and a lot of us "old" people are already asleep and are waking up as the attendees return home.
Change your Latitude

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Marty, Pokey, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,703 Topics
461,217 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.