The Belize Sailing Association is currently conducting training for young sailors from the age of 9 to 14. They have collaborated with an INTERNATIONAL organization called the International Optimist Dinghy Association.

This organization sent one of their representatives, Jorge Santiago, an internationally renowned coach from Puerto Rico, to conduct the training.

Today, they were preparing for a sailing race which will be held this Saturday, and 7News stopped in to see how the training was going. Here's what the participants told us:

Daniel Ortiz
"Tell us what this instructor has been doing with the sailors in Belize?"

John Oliver, Member, Belize Sailing Association
"We bought these boats and he has taught us how to set them up specifically for racing; how to put the tension in the sails, how to put the foot straps, all kind of little adjustments to make it better and easier and faster to sail."

Daniel Ortiz
"How long is this training going to take place?"

John Oliver, Member, Belize Sailing Association
"It was Saturday and Sunday of last week, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday this week, then he takes a day off. He is going on a tour around the city and the countryside and then Saturday we are having the Buttonwood Bay regatta here and it would be right on this very spot."

Daniel Ortiz
"What has this experience been like for you so far?"

Edwardo Garcia Sanchez, Junior Sailor
"It has been amazing; I have met new friends and just new skills."

Daniel Ortiz
"What is it like being out there on the boat by yourself knowing that you have to be the one in control?"

"It's something like freedom - just being free in mercy of the wind and the water."

Daniel Ortiz
"What is your long term goal in terms of sailing? How long do you want to keep it going?"

"As long as I can."

Daniel Ortiz
"Tell us how long you have been sailing?"

Nathaniel Avila, Junior sailor
"For about a year."

Daniel Ortiz
"How has the experience been like for you?"

"It's been very good; I've been able to go out sailing with my grandfather and my dad and with a whole bunch of other people."

Daniel Ortiz
"Have you ever competed professionally as a sailor?"

"Yes I did. I actually won a first place medal."

The Belize Sailing Association is looking forward to send a delegation to Mexico to participate in a competition there in the next coming months.

Channel 7