Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#445050 08/23/12 11:43 AM
O
Oceana Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hi, all, new forum member with a question.

I'm planning on coming in on the QRP program. I would like to bring my Cobalt 24' bowrider from the U.S. This is not for commercial use.

Obviously, this is not a skiff. Will I have depth difficulty in AC and on the Placencia peninsula. Is the general area OK for pleasure craft of this type?

What are the steps? I believe that it will be duty free, but how do I register it with Belize, and is there a fee?

All comments appreciated.

I came in under the QRP program and brought lots of things but not a boat which I acquired in country. The people that handle the QRP can help you with the paperwork but beware because the customs people don't like your doing this even though it is perfectly legit. I would pay attention to any accessories and make sure that these are identified on the QRP paperwork as well (radar, seats, even engines) and would still hire a customs broker to make sure nothing goes wrong (and hopefully nothing goes missing).

Captain One Iron
O
Oceana Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Thanks, Cap'n-

I will be using a customs broker for everything that comes down from the states. Only bringing a motorcycle, boat, family heirlooms, bed, and some electronics, 2 bikes and wife. Everything else that we need (furniture, dishes, silverware) we will buy in Belize.

The law was changed several years ago. You are required to use a broker since then.

what is the draft of your boat?

O
Oceana Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
what is the draft of your boat?

3 ft,

You can go lots of places with a 3 ft draft but hopefully Simon can comment in more detail. He's our local expert.

You won't be tooling around the lagoon behind San Pedro, and you won't be going to Robles but you can do quite a bit. 3 feet does seem a deep draft for 24 foot boat though - we have so many local boats of that size with a lot less draft and much greater access to shallower waters.

S
S
Boat is an inboard correct? 3' is probably its maximum draft, I'd imagine it floats considerably shallower. Just as practical of a question though is "how deep of water does it take to get up on plane?" Lot's of places here (leeward side of island, south of island) that you can run through without stirring up/marking the bottom, but when you come off plane you're going to find yourself idling for a long time to find deeper water to get back up ON plane. In front of the island/main part of town, going dock to dock, the draft will not be much of a problem.

I looked up the Cobalts on the web - very pretty boats!
Hate to burst your bubble but they just don't look suitable for this environment.

G
G
My two cents. That Cobalt, one fine ride. I live in the sunny south where anything goes, from charters to bass trackers. Got to thinking about buying a boat and for the life of me I couldn't figure out who would want an ugly "panga, mexican skiff or equal". Well,it didn't take long for me to figure, they fit the "lay of the land", flexible in depth changes, which you will find inside the reef, wind,tide changes and the list goes on and on, for me anyway. I have a 24 ft with a 90 honda. I can go anywhere, even outside the reef, weather permiting. The inability to trim the motor would be huge in my book. Just look around. Go to captain sharks boat yard (that's where I keep mine. And shall I mention security. Like I said, just my two cents

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.