Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#445156 - 08/25/12 11:42 AM Save money in S.P. Shop in B.C
lil'red Offline
I try to buy local and support local business and families, and I am not trying to slam anyone. But in the last few years it has become totally foolish to ignore the difference in prices from Belize City to San Pedro.

I bought 2 new tires for my golf cart from Reimer's Service Station in Spanish Lookout and saved $100 per tire. I have done this now twice, the first time was 2 years ago. And I have sent 15 or so different people to them for tires. Each saved AT LEAST $100 per tire, some they saved even more.

When it comes to my golf cart I have a wonderful mechanic who fixes electrical problems and a wonderful welder/mechanic who fixes structural problems. When I needed a muffler last month I first went to Shark's. Price:$575.00, not yet installed. Add $100 for that. I called West Trac in the city and got the smallest car muffler they had in stock, had Flower's the welder modify my cart and boom....cost me $150.00 total, installed. This is an amazing saving and again...it took only a few hours.

I now need 2 back shocks for my cart. I called Shark's and was quoted $87.00 each. I called West Trac and was quoted $58.00 each. Paid thru the bank and put on the Tropic flight the next day saved me $50.00. I know that everyone has to make money, but it seems as though recently it has become to a point of gouging.

I have many parts I need for my golf car rebuilt, like the $999.00 gear box I needed. I had the old one rebuilt for a $40 bearing and $25 labour. And done in a couple of hours. Still running fine 6 months later.

I bought the SMART! dongle for my internet to try it out. I am on the computer about 18 hours a day and my 10 day usage was 2.25 MB. That means I used about $22 in 10 days. Downloading music and videos, I changed nothing about my usage but as long as math has not been totally overhauled since I was in school, that means I will use $66 a month. I have been paying $120 a month for a slower speed. I am returning the CC Vision modem on the 31st and will have high speed internet, wireless at that, for about 2/3rds the cost.

Fultec computers in BC has computer packages that are amazingly close to US prices. I bought a laptop cooler here on middle street that after 2 hours of use my computer shut down due to over heating. The laptop cooler pad threw out almost no air. I called and said I was returning it. I was informed "No Refunds" "It is your fault, you should have checked it out before buying". They would exchange and apply the $40 towards the next one up, costing 3 times more but no refund. After arguing for about 1/2 hour they gave me $30 back out 0f my $40 paid. A "restocking" charge. I will, in a month or so, be buying a new computer and printer and I will be buying it at Fultec, in the city.

I hope this has helped someone out. Sorry to be so long winded, but I thought I would like to share some of the ways I have learned to save money here.

#445161 - 08/25/12 01:37 PM Re: Save money in S.P. Shop in B.C [Re: lil'red]
Gaz Cooper Offline

Its always been WAY cheaper to shop in the city than on the island and probably always will be.

Edited by Gaz Cooper (08/25/12 01:51 PM)

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.