FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

The latest Tia Chocolate column is ready for reading!!! Opposites, Part III
In the bigger, cleaner house, Andrea lay awake, staring at the zinc ceiling. It was late, and already the moon had shifted west, bringing with it a silvery light through the open windows of the bedroom. Mama was not in the bed with her.

The sounds coming from the floor next to the bed had woken her. Mama was with Papa on his mattress where he normally slept if he didn’t fall asleep on the hammock first. The hammock was tied up tonight. The silvery light turned faint by the time she finally fell asleep again, and when she woke up, Mama was hugging her on the bed. Papa snored loudly, rumbling with each breath. In the coop, the rooster began crowing loudly. It was time to think about getting up.

The August 26th, 2012 issue of The STAR (Cayo) is online HERE

This Week's Stories:

• Empty Handed Burglar Caught In The Act
  • Another Empty Handed Accused Burglar Charged
  • High School Teacher Charged For Assaulting Girls
  • Belize National Classification System For Hotels And Tour Operators
  • This Empty Handed Burglar Goes To Jail
  • Rotary’s Gift Of Life Belize Project
  • Teen Depression: A Guide for Parents And Teachers
  • Art In The Park of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
  • Female Facing Burglary Charge
  • Four New Motorcycles For The Police
  • Guatemala Ex-Police Chief Jailed For Civil War Kidnap
  • STAR Humor
  • Your Weekly Horoscope and Lucky Numbers
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Public Notices

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofers: Happy Birthday
“Dennis, I want you to do me a favor,” Charlie said. “I need you to keep an eye on Tommy for me.” “Sure,” I said. “What’s the problem with Tommy?” “He turns seventy-nine on his birthday this weekend and he wants a big celebration. The old fool met up with a twenty-two year-old girl yesterday who is after him for nothing but money.” “I didn’t know he had any money. Where do I come into this?” “He wanted me to go to the jewelry store with him to buy her something and I want you to go instead of me. I have to stay here at the restaurant. Try to stop him from doing anything stupid.”

Marlon August releases book entitled “My Life and Travels in Belize”
Long time islander Marlon August has penned a book entitled My Life and Travels in Belize. The book has been available for sale on the internet for the past three months. The book details August’s life since childhood days, his adventures, his travels and San Pedro, the place he had decided to make his home. August who is originally from the Cayo District has been living on Ambergris Caye for over 20 years. “What inspired me to write this book is the people (tourist) that I have meet throughout the course of the year and the stories we share,” said August. August says most of the stories are related to his personal life but some are tied down to people and events that are rich part of history. One such anecdote involves a detailed description of him hiking along the roads of Belize and getting a ride with the Father of the Nation, the late Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price. “I think I had to include that part because it shows how Belize has developed. The two people I was with, a Venezuelan and a Canadian, were surprised that the country’s leader would stop and give people along the street a ride, something not common to them in their country,” said a smiling August.

Dr. Love: Stuck
Dear Doctor Love, I’m happy to see that there is a local advice column in San Pedro because I may be moving there soon. I have had the same boyfriend for nearly three years and he is planning to move here to take a job. He wants me to come with him. Although he is older than me by more than ten years, I love him very much. I try to listen to his advice because I know he is wiser than I am but sometimes I feel like some of my decisions have to be made on my own. I know that if I wanted him to, he would marry me and even go for having children. On the other hand, I know that these are things that I will want but he will be doing them just to please me. I love the idea of leaving theU.S.and going off on a big adventure inCentral Americabut I also think that I should eventually go back to school. From what I can tell, there are no colleges that I could attend inBelize. I feel like, either way, I am going to lose something. If I go to Belize with him I won’t be able to go to college and pursue my career. On the other hand, I hate the idea of not going with him and letting love go by the way. What is my best bet? /s/ Stuck inOregon

Police Report: August 23rd, 2012
On Saturday 18th of August 2012 at about 10:12AM, Cruz Novelo, 56 year old Belizean Security Guard of Pescador Drive in San Pedro Town reported that between the hours of 5PM on the 17th and 5AM on the 18th of August, someone broke into his house and stole one TCH brand flat screen TV valued at $900 Bze and one DVD player, brand unknown, valued at $200. On Monday the 20th of August 2012 at 8:30PM, Raquel Lino 27 year old of Los Encantos located five miles north of San Pedro Town reported that on 20th of August at about 4PM whilst she was closing the lock on the door of her employer’s house namely Mark Garyle, which is located directly behind her house, she felt someone from behind push her into the house and started to touch her breast in an indecent manner without her consent. She recognized the assailant to be Martin Medina, other particulars unknown. As a result, a struggle ensued and she managed to escape and call for Police assistance. Police is looking for Martin Medina as part of their investigation.

Misc Belizean Sources

COUNTRY FOODS COOPERATIVE SUCCESS STORY IN BELIZE
Country Foods cooperative is growing in production. ALL is sold on the local market. Nothing is exported yet. Eggs represent 71% of this Spanish Lookout Cooperative. 18% of their business is in RK beans. Rice represents the other 11%. 80% of their beans are RK beans. They also produce and market cranberry, and smaller red beans, with black eyed peas. There is nobody in Belize producing LENTILS yet, my favorite bean and the one we always buy, but it is imported. The cooperative rice is packed in 20, 50 and 100 pound bags. They distribute locally about 800,000 lbs of rice per year. About 1 million pounds of beans are sold each year locally.

COUNTRY FOODS EGG PRODUCING COOPERATIVE TO GET NEW BRAZILIAN MACHINERY
Country Foods is going to become more mechanized. Instead of labor intensive candeling and sorting for size with eggs, they have ordered a machine from Brazil, that will do the job. Country Foods Cooperative market about 7 to 8000 eggs a month. The new system when operational will use plastic egg containers. Laying hens are good for 16 to 19 months, when they are culled and sold off. The current trend is export to Guatemala, as buyers come in and bid on them.

Seine Bight Day Weekend in Belize was a blast!
Music, culture and fun in the sun were in abundance at this year’s Seine Bight Day Weekend in Belize. Seine Bight Day Weekend was held on August 17 to August 19, 2012, in Seine Bight Village, Stann Creek District, and was one of the numerous events occurring around the country. Other festivities were the San Joaquin Fiesta and the Willow’s Bank Fyah Haat Fest. “The funds raised from the weekend are to be used to build a basketball court in the village, which is definitely needed,” shared Francisco Palacio, chairman of Seine Bight Village. “Everyone enjoyed themselves with the games, contests, music and live entertainment. During the three days, the beach was full of life. Participants were up early in the morning to await the upcoming activities and stayed up late into the night for its festivities. I’d like to thank everyone who made the Seine Bight Day Weekend a great success.” For more than ten years, the village of Seine Bight has been hosting this celebration, which commemorates the existence of the community. Every year, the event gets bigger, with many Belizeans travelling down south to join the villagers in their celebration. Fun competitions at the event included swimming contests, coconut husking contests, and Punta contests among others. Cash prizes and giveaways kept contestants striving to win at every try. During the night, live music and entertainment by Belize’s very own renowned artists kept everyone dancing all night long. Next year’s Seine Bight Day weekend promises to be even better!

Thread By Thread
A graduate of Sacred Heart Junior College has come up with a great idea, following the 'pay it forward' concept. Thread by Thread is a nonprofit that donates school uniforms to children that can't afford them. Awesome idea! "The expression 'pay it forward' is used to describe the concept of asking that a good deed be repaid by having a good deed done for others instead. Thread by thread is a nonprofit company dedicated to making sure Belizean school children whose families cannot afford material goods have both what they need to attend school and also learn to share the giving by giving themselves. By helping students obtain school uniforms we hope that each student will be driven to further his or her education. By giving the uniforms we hope each student absorbs the mind set of being grateful for what he or she receives. By requiring recipients to 'pay it forward' we hope that in return for our gift, they will learn that giving brings more value than just the dollar amount of what was received. We are about 'Making Threads by Giving Threads.'"

Marcia Moody is Queen of the West
Congratulations to Marcia Moody for winning Queen of the West. The September Celebrations have officially started. Good luck at the Queen of the Bay!

Euphoria Dance pictures
Danny Chung was at the Euphoria Dance at Barrio Fino to take some stills. He got some good ones, in the color of Summer. Cloud 9 was the headliner, with Tagg International and Mistah Geeh opening. Thanks go out to News Exchange, Bowen & Bowen, which had the Verano beer flowing, and the Royal Car Wash.

LOVE TV

Millions of dollars in damages to the Sugar Industry
Cane farmers in the north are facing millions of dollars in damages caused by pests and natural disasters. Recent floods brought on by the passage of tropical depression number seven inundated a number of cane fields in the north, particularly in Corozal. Alfredo Ortega is the vice chairman of the committee of management of the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association. Ortega says that damage from flooding is not the only thing making life difficult for cane farmers as they are also battling the pest, known as the froghopper. The other challenge facing cane farmers is the condition of roads leading to the farms which allow them to move their product from the field to the factory. Ortega says the BSCFA is appealing for help from government; but at this time it is slow to non-existent. Ortega says the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association plans to continue lobbying government for assistance to help cane farmers during these challenging times.

Sugar dividends to be paid shortly
BSI employees were informed this morning through an information bulletin that arrangements are being put in place for the first payment of outstanding dividends. This announcement comes at the heels of negotiations between BSI and American Sugar Refinery that have been ongoing since late May of this year when some 400 BSI employees under Belize Employees Holding trust voted in favor for the American company to become the major share holder of the Tower Hill based company. In the bulletin issued to employees this morning as they reported to work, Managing director of BSI Joey Montalvo says “that he is pleased to announce that all commercials matters and legal documentation with respect to the Purchase Agreement has been agreed between BSI and ASR and the necessary approval from existing shareholders of BSI to proceed with the signing have been received.” The other existing shareholders of the company include Tate & Lyle and the Government of Belize. It is understood that the purchase agreement was signed yesterday. The transaction cannot not be cannot be called a done-deal yet as completion of the transaction is estimated to take another month, but at least employees can feel confident that by next week Friday they should be receiving the first fifty percent of outstanding dividends owed to them since 1998. If everything follows as planned nine months after next week Friday employees should receive 30% of the remain balance and within a year after the signing they are expected to receive the last 20%. Retired BSI employees should expect to receive 100% of outstanding dividends by next week Friday. In the month that follows to completion date the release goes to explain that BSI and ASR will continue to meet in order to conclude various conditions associated to the transaction which includes the existing lenders to BSI and Belcogen regarding payment.

Victory for Oceana-Belize in the Supreme Court
Oceana-Belize has won round one of its battle with the government over oil contracts issued to a number of companies to conduct offshore petroleum exploration. On Wednesday, Attorney for the government, Herbert Panton, argued why the court ought to strike out Oceana’s claim against the government and Attorney for Oceana, Senior Counsel Godfrey Smith, argued that the claim was a legitimate one. Today, Justice Oswald Legall gave his ruling on those arguments and Love News got a lay man’s explanation of the ruling, what it means and what happens next from Oceana-Belize’s Vice President, Audrey Matura-Shepherd. But while Oceana has gotten the green light, the bigger battle lies ahead now. Oceana-Belize, meanwhile, has another case pending aside from this one in the court against the government. In that one, it is challenging the disqualification of over eight thousand names of people who had signed its petition on oil drilling.

High school buy murdered in Belmopan
Police have detained 19-year-old Jose Enrique Flores pending charges following the death of a teenager last night. Correspondent Fem Cruz has the details.

Four charged for robbery
Four men and two women were charged with firearm and ammunition offences and handling stolen goods when they appeared in court today. They are 23 year old Aaron Bailey, 21 year old Inmar Welch, 22 year old Jeffrey Mcdougal, 27 year old Jareth Gault, 47 year old Carol Vivas and her daughter 24 year old Teresita Vivas. They were charged with one count of kept prohibited firearm, one count of kept firearm without a gun license and two counts kept ammunition without a gun license. The firearms were a .38 special revolver and a Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum revolver. The ammunition was six live rounds and four live rounds of .38 calibre. The charge of handling stolen goods was for a blue cell phone valued at $200.00. Apart from those charges Bailey, Welch, Mcdougal and Gault were charged with robbery. They pleaded not guilty to charges. Magistrate Aretha Ford explained to them that the court cannot offer them bail because of the nature of the offences. She remanded them into custody until October 2. The robbery occurred around 2:30 p.m. yesterday at Paula’s Store on Cemetery Road. The culprits stole a purse that contained $400.00 , a cell phone and other items. The police received a report of the robbery in progress and they apprehended the suspects about 90 minutes later. Later the same day the police went to Vivas’ residence on Plues Street and reported that they found the firearms and ammunition and recovered the cell phone.

Man jailed for drug trafficking
Fifty-four year old fudge vendor Godfrey Rowland , charged with drug trafficking for 26.3 pounds of cannabis, was sentenced to 5 years today by Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith after he was found guilty of the charge. It was his fourth conviction for drug trafficking. Rowland was also found guilty of driving without a driver’s license and driving a motor vehicle not covered by insurance. He was fined $150.00 for the first offence and $500.00 for the second. The incident occurred around 9 a.m. on December 21, 2011. The police had a checkpoint at mile 4 on the Northern Highway and they intercepted a grey car as it pulled off the highway about 100 metres from the checkpoint. Rowland was the only occupant of the car at the time and when the police searched the trunk of the car they found the bag of cannabis. Rowland testified and said that he was hitching a ride and the driver of the car had gone to purchase something. But Chief Magistrate Smith did not believe his story and she found him guilty.

New drop-in centre for south side youths
A new drop-in centre for at-risk young men was officially opened this morning in Belize City. The facility occupies the space held formerly by Big Daddy’s restaurant at the Commercial Centre. At the launch of the program, it was explained that the Southside Youth Success Project Drop In centre is a collaborative effort of the government of Belize, the United Nations Development Program and the Central American Regional Security Initiative known by the acronym CARSI. One of the speakers at the launch of the project was the United States ambassador to Belize Vinai Thummalapally. At the heart of the broad-ranging project is to help young people improve their lives and cut down on the senseless crime and violence in the urban areas. The centre provides a youth-friendly space where young men and boys, particularly from the south side of Belize City can come get life skills training. Roberto Valent is the country representative for the United Nations Development Program in Belize, and he addressed the youths at this morning’s launch.

Improvements sought for the public transportation system
“Clear the Land” fires back... The array of concerns in the public transportation system has spanned over many years and successive Ministers of Transportation have attempted to correct the many voids that exist therein. The current Transport Board has formulated a list of conditions that bus owners who operate in the west and south of the country must meet in order to carry out their service. That list includes, albeit a lengthy one, is supposed to take the quality of the bus industry from what it is to what would be considered acceptable. Minister with responsibility for Transport, Edmund Castro, told Love News that these conditions are supposed to take the quality of the bus industry from what it currently is to what is considered to be acceptable. Bus operators have been given one month the longest in order to receive their road service permits, or else.

Spinal surgery at the KHMH
The nation’s referral hospital, the Karl Heusner Memorial, has reached another milestone as now it is able to now provide a clinic for spinal injuries and specifically, a condition that results in what we call hump back. The life-saving intervention now available was first performed on Wednesday at the hospital. The new service comes through a joint effort on the part of the hospital and doctors from the US. Neurosurgeon, Doctor Joel Cervantes, says that it is a major breakthrough for Belize and Belizeans. Keri George was part of the visiting team that performed the first procedure locally. In the US, one of the spinal surgeries can cost well over a hundred thousand US dollars while in Belize, it is not to go over a thousand Belize dollars. Most of the screws and costly instruments required to perform the procedure is donated to help defray costs.

Motorcycles for the police department
The Ministry of National Security has just acquired four new motorcycles to assist them in maintaining law and order in various villages of the Belize District, as was promised by the Minister of National Security, John Saldivar during his country wide tour. According to Rural Executive officer Assistand Superintendent Glen Rivero, the new dirt bikes will assist in policing the formation under his command which covers the entire rural area that runs from Mahogany Heights to Western Paradise on the Western Highway and from Halouver Bridge to Rhaburn’s Ridge on the Northern Highway. The four Meliun dirt bikes were purchased by the Government of Belize at a total cost of fourteen thousand dollars and will be specifically assigned to the villages of Sandhill, Bermudian Landing, Hattieville and Crooked Tree. A temporary residence has also been identified and secured for the posting of a resident police officer in Crooked Tree Village, while plans are underway for the construction of a permanent police station and living quarters there. The urgent need for the police station has been addressed through direct intervention of the area representative, Edmund Castro and Minister of National Security, John Saldivar.

Selva Maya consultation held in Belmopan
A consultation workshop on the Selva Maya project was held on Thursday in Belmopan. The project tri-national project involving Belize, Mexico and Guatemala is being executed jointly by the German Agency for International Development and the Ministry of Forestry, Fisheries and Sustainable Development. It is aimed at promoting the conservation of existing ecosystems and their biodiversity through sustainable management and the use of natural resources. Jaap Schoorl is the regional program director for the German Development Cooperation. According to Schoorl, the Selva Maya, which started in 2011, covers a period of about fifteen years and will see the investment of over twenty million dollars among the three participating countries. Thursday’s stakeholders workshop was held at the George Price Centre in Belmopan.

National Song competition set for Saturday at MCC Grounds
Tomorrow the MCC grounds in Belize City will come to life as the National Song and Carnival Song for this year is chosen. Joseph Stamp Romero is the Creative Arts Development Officer at the Institute of Creative Arts and organizer of the National Song Competition. The entrance is free of cost and the whole family is invited to come out and support your favourite artist.

Municipal Bond legislation goes to parliament
The House of Representatives met today in Belmopan. It was a short agenda which featured a short list of five amendment bills, among them three that dealt with the banking sector. The passage of the bills now sends them to the upper house of parliament where they are expected to be ratified by the Senate next week. The House also passed two motions, one for the establishment of a National Assembly Staff Committee and the other approving a two million US dollar loan from the Caribbean Development Bank to be used for education sector reform. Aside from the Bills for second and third readings, Prime Minister Dean Barrow today introduced two Bills having to do with a proposed municipal bond by the Belize City Council. The first Bill is for an Act to provide for the Belize City Council to float a twenty million dollar municipal bond to be used for infrastructural development. The Prime Minister told parliament that the Bill has the support of Cabinet. The Prime Minister commended Mayor Bradley for his initiative and noted that government is fully behind the municipal bond issue. And the Prime Minister used his time on the floor of the House at the introduction of the Bill to offer a sales pitch to potential bond holders.

Man jailed for sex assault on girl
Sixty-six year old Venustiano Pacheco, a Mexican national was sentenced to three years yesterday after he was found guilty of aggravated assault of an indecent nature on an eight year old girl. The incident occurred around 7:30 p.m. on February 25, 2011 in Scotland Half Moon Village. The child, a Standard 1 student, testified that she was taking a bath outdoor at the back of her house when Pacheco, her neighbor, came to her and knelt down in front of her and sexually assaulted her. The child’s aunt testified that she caught Pacheco in the act. Pacheco testified but he did not contest the child’s testimony. He said that the aunt was lying and that she had made up the story. But Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith did not believe Pacheco and she found him guilty. Pacheco was not represented by any attorney. Inspector Carol Tucker represented the prosecution.

Burglary at Belmopan Baptist High School
Belmopan Police reportedly have three men detained following the report of an apparent burglary at the Baptist High School in the Banana Bank area on the Western Highway just out of Belmopan. Reports are that sometime between four thirty yesterday evening and eight thirty this morning someone made off with about nine thousand dollars in cash and three thousand dollars in cheques that was locked up in a safe in the principal’s office. The money was school fees that had been collected over the past three weeks. The metal door of the safe was reportedly forced open.

Girl alleges her uncle raped her
A rape has been reported in Belmopan. The victim, a seventeen year old female in the presence of a Justice of the Peace, reported to police that on the 14th of August she was in the company of her uncle and another male person who is unknown to her. She alleged that they visited Valley of Peace village where they were consuming alcohol and later left to Armenia Village to continue drinking. They then went to Cave’s Branch where her uncle and the other male began swimming. It is then that her uncle came out of the river and proceeded to hold her hands down, took off her underwear and had sexual intercourse with her against her will. The minor’s uncle has been detained pending charges.

Compol meets Crooked Tree residents after GSU rampage
Two days ago Love News brought you the story of a Gang Suppression Unit visit to Crooked Tree Village that ended in what residents describe as abuse on the village youths. The incident allegedly happened at the village basketball court where the GSU members went to conduct an investigation. One day after the allegation hit the airwaves, the Commissioner of Police, David Henderson, visited the youths in the village along with the Area Representative, Edmund “Clear the Land” Castro. Love News was there and spoke with one of the youths who alleges that he was abused is Devin Swasey, who only a few weeks ago, was viciously attacked and bitten by a crocodile in the Crooked Tree Lagoon. Swasey told reporters on Wednesday that one of the GSU members stood on his hand that is still healing from the crocodile attack. He told reporters on Wednesday the incident happened at between eight-thirty and nine on Tuesday night while eight of them were on the court. Commissioner of Police, David Henderson, told us that the allegation will be investigated and that he and Minister of State, Castro discusses the possibility of assigning a policeman in the village, which has been without police presence for a few years. Meanwhile, Minister Castro told us that while a police station will be built in the village, in the interim, a policeman will be stationed there. He reassured that the government has zero tolerance for abuse of authority, if that is what really occurred on the part of the GSU members. The results of the investigation into the allegations of abuse by GSU members should be known before the end of next week.

Belmopan Queen of the Bay disqualified after winning the crown
Last weekend Jasmine Arce was crowned Miss Queen of the Bay Belmopan however Arce is upset because she found out she will not be allowed to participate in the national competition next weekend. Arturo Cantun has the details.

Telethon in aid of accident victim planned
There is good news to report about a child who almost lost his life when the dwelling he calls home fell on top of him. A few weeks ago, ten year old Brighton Cordova almost died while he was playing with two puppies underneath the house and the house fell on him. After doctors at the Northern Regional Hospital resuscitated the child, he was rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital before being stabilized and transferred back to the Northern Regional. Brighton returned home today from the hospital and his aunt, Marvette MacFarlane, told Love News that he is in good spirits and responding well. But aside from that, he and his family need your help in order that he might make it back to some level of normalcy. They have rallied the Orange Walk community to help them to raise funds to meet medical expenses and costly therapeutic sessions for Brighton. If you would like to assist Brighton, you can call Marvette McFarlane at 626 1958. That number again is: 626 1958.

PlusTV

Will Ms belmopan get to compete in National Queen of the Bay?
We broached the issue of Ms. Belmopan - Queen of the Bay 2012 – 2013 last night. Jasmine Arce is scheduled to repre...

Compre student murdered in Belmopan
A family in the community of San Martin here in Belmopan, is tonight mourning the loss of a son and a brother. 16 y...

PlusNews visits Baptist High and speaks with Board member
It was business as usual at the Belmopan Baptist School orientation day. The bad press it had been receiving this w...

Crime down in Cayo thanks to Community Policing
In terms of crime, Police forces have been focusing on Belize City and trying to keep the occurrence of criminal ac...

Cayo Police Give updates: Bert Vasquez Jasmine Lowe case
Officer in Command of the Benque Viejo Del Carmen Supt. Ralph Moody, Supt. Alvan Gentle for the City of Belmopan an...

Cayo Police give UPDATES: Willacey, Silva case, Tzec Case, Hyde case
In regards to the Willacy's recent opprobrium Police have conducted an investigation into the matter. Silva was las...

University of Belize inaugurates Solar Panel Project
Last week we gave you a detail tour of the newly built Solar Panel System at the University of Belize. Infrastructu...

Major fire at Butane Depot disrupts traffic
There was a major butane fire yesterday evening at mile 4 ˝ on the Western Highway. The fire was finally brought un...

Pacheco gets 3 years for molesting 8 year old
A Mexican man will be spending the next 3 years in jail. 66 year-old Venustiano Pacheco was sentence after he was c...

Police quick response leads to arrest of robbers
Yesterday afternoon (Aug 23) just before 3pm Police responded to a robbery in progress at Paula’s Store on Cemetery...

Blogs

Knocked myself out
It was a fairly lazy day at the taco shack, after cleaning up after dinner party, I ended up having a nap then watching National Treasure in bed with tacoboy. Sometimes a movie in bed is a perfect Sunday thing to d, quiet time it was much needed by both of us as life never seems to slow down. I got a good reminder of why I do not drink last night, all it took was two of of my favorite coconut rum drinks, I mix it with fresh watermelon juice and sometimes add a bit of lime or cilantro. I went from zero to done and sadly knocked myself out from the party :( Thankfully I was only hit with minor goma [hangover] today. Paul reminded me I was not the only one we have seen do that and we had a good laugh over some past knockouts while we enjoyed coffee on the veranda. I was watching for fish, I over head the people across the canal talking about seeing Crocodiles and it reminded me that One of my work projects this week is blogging our crocodile cruise aka the CSI Croc Adventure. We did it recently and had a great time, I learned so much. For now you can read about it in San Pedro Scoop – CSI Belize Tour: A Night Time Search for Crocs on Ambergris Caye. To find out more about taking the CSI Belize tour visit the American Crocodile Education Sanctuary website. Totally a trip worth taking and a perfect kid friendly option.

Heading up to Ak'Bol and Palapa Bar on a HOT Summer Day
When I go visit the states, one of the most frequent questions that I get is: "Don't you miss the changing season?" No. No, I don't...at least not in the way they are asking. Cold weather makes me miserable for the most part and we DO have seasons in Belize, definite seasons. This past day or two have been definite examples of the hot, almost breeze less weather that we tend to have at the end of summer/early fall. The water is so flat that there isn't even a break over the reef in many spots. And the sky is so so incredibly blue.

Cheap flights to Belize
Flight stats for Belize – did you know? There are 19 airports in Belize and the 5 biggest are Philip S.W. Goldson Intl Airport (Belize City, Belize) Right now, 11 airlines operate out of Philip S.W. Goldson Intl Airport. Philip S.W. Goldson Intl Airport offers nonstop flights to 16 cities. Every week, at least 483 domestic flights and 105 international flights depart from Philip S.W. Goldson Intl Airport. Dangriga Airport (Dangriga, Belize) Right now, 2 airlines operate out of Dangriga Airport. Dangriga Airport offers nonstop flights to 4 cities. Every week, at least 280 domestic flights and 0 international flights depart from Dangriga Airport. San Pedro Airport (San Pedro, Belize) Right now, 2 airlines operate out of San Pedro Airport. San Pedro Airport offers nonstop flights to 5 cities. Every week, at least 329 domestic flights and 0 international flights depart from San Pedro Airport.

International Sources

Mexico scrambles to cope with egg shortage
Mexico scrambles to cope with egg shortage, spending millions on emergency measures The Mexican government is battling an egg shortage and hoarding that have caused prices to spike in a country with the highest per-capita egg consumption on Earth. A summer epidemic of bird flu in the heart of Mexico's egg industry has doubled the cost of a kilo (2.2 pounds), or about 13 eggs, to more than 40 pesos ($3), a major blow to working- and middle-class consumers in a country that consumes more than 350 eggs per person each year. That's 100 more eggs per person than in the United States. Egg prices have dominated the headlines here for a week, spurring Mexico City's mayor to ship tons of cheap eggs to poor neighborhoods and the federal government to announce emergency programs to get fresh chickens to farms hit by bird flu and to restock supermarket shelves with eggs imported from the U.S. and Central America. The national dismay over egg prices has revealed the unappreciated importance of a cheap, easy source of protein that's nearly as important to Mexican kitchens as tortillas, rice and beans. Added boiled to stewed chicken, raw to a fruit-juice hangover cure and in every other conceivable form to hundreds of other foods, the once-ubiquitous egg has disappeared from many street-side food stands and middle-class kitchens in recent days. "Eggs, as you know, are one of Mexicans' most important foods and make up a core part of their diet, especially in the poorest regions of the country," President Felipe Calderon said Friday as he announced about $227 million in emergency financing and commercial measures to restore production and replace about 11 million chickens slaughtered after the June outbreak of bird flu.

Sea Level Rise Threatens Countries, Regions And Cities Around The World
With sea levels expected to rise by as much as three feet by the year 2100, in large part due to climate change, low-lying countries and coastal cities face an unprecedented challenge this century. Recent research indicated that in the next several centuries, average global sea levels could rise somewhere between 18 and 29 feet, explains Climate Central, a nonprofit climate news and research organization. Much of this potential sea level rise may be spurred by glacial melting in the world's polar regions. James Hansen, a professor at Columbia University and head of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, has said that the global goal to limit atmospheric warming to 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius) "is actually a prescription for long-term disaster." Hansen fears, LiveScience reported, that with warming of two degrees, we could see an ice-free Arctic and a notable rise in sea-levels by tens of meters.

Underwater, Feeling Our Ocean Origins
I’ve always loved scuba diving and the cell-tickling feel of being underwater, though it poses unique frustrations. Alone, but with others, you may share the same sights and feelings, but you can’t communicate well. There are few ways to convey joy, amazement or thrill. How many divers know American Sign Language? The vocabulary of scuba talk is small and inadequate, circling around the transactional analyst’s bywords, I’m O.K. Are you O.K.? One can also signal: I’m in trouble, I’m low on air, I’m going to surface, Look at that, I’m cold, Danger over there, My ears haven’t pressurized, Stay where you are — but little more. “Isn’t that fish on the rock face spending his whole life guarding a minute territory mind-blowing?” is just as unsayable as “I’ve got to go to the toilet.” Or “My throat feels parched from the wheeze of the regulator.” Or “Those brown angelfish are hanging like flak in the water.” I think some people may dive, in part, for the thick layers of quiet and the luxury of not having to converse.

Moodys downgrades Belize
Less than 48 hours after Standard & Poors downgraded Belize, another international credit rating agency has followed suit. The Wall Street-based Moody's Investors Service said it lowered Belize's local currency bond and deposit ceilings to B2 from B1. The foreign currency country ceilings on bonds and deposits remain unchanged at Caa2. It said the action reflects the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countrys decision to renege on the 8.5 per cent August coupon payment. The payment was for a US$547 million sovereign bond maturing in 2029 (the Superbond), after publicly budgeting for the US$23.5 million outlay in the 2012/13 budget. The Superbond, which accounts for 48 per cent of total central government debt and 57 per cent of external debt, is itself the result of a distressed debt exchange completed in 2007, Moodys said. The agency noted that the indicative scenarios released by the government on August 8 - a par bond and two discount bond options - resulted in bondholders absorbing losses of 70-80 per cent in net present value terms.

PHOTOS of BELIZE
Taken by travelers....

Blancaneaux Lodge on Top 10 List
They'll make a top 10 list about anything. This list has the top 10 celebrity owned hotels in the world. Francis Ford Copola's Cayo resort, Blancaneaux Lodge, is on it, as is Bob Marley's Resort, which wins for the best bar name: Stir It Up. "In a secluded corner of the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve lies this charming 20-lodge resort designed to slide you perfectly into the surrounding natural environment. With a mix of rustic and amenity-filled cabins strewn along a waterfall-fueled river, the property is ideal for contemplating starry nights, relaxing in hammocks, exploring a vast realm of unspoilt nature and embracing the meaning of getting away"