Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#445357 08/28/12 12:20 PM
J
jmb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I've never really considered Belize "dangerous" but here lately everyone I talk to about going to Belize pretty much has the same response: "Belize is Dangerous now."

Is that true? I'm sure everywhere can be dangerous if you don't know where to go. I live in Dallas and in some spots it is VERY dangerous.

B
B
I live in San Pedro and don't consider it dangerous if you use very basic common sense. But that's the same common sense I try to use everywhere I go.

Would I hang out on some of the shadier streets of Belize City at night? Probably not.

But you can't tag the country of Belize "dangerous".

By the way, where do these friends suggest you visit? I hear Disney World is quite safe!

J
jmb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I think because it is near "Mexico" and all of the negative press hear about that in the USA kind of lumps it into the dangerous category.

I wouldn't go to 98% of Mexico but would go to 98% of Belize. Also own property on Ambergris.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
C
C2C
C2C
C
You can definitely tag Belize as "Dangerous". The murder rate that is so high once restricted to Belize city is higher still and no longer restricted to there. Was it not San Pedro last night an off-duty cop was chopped in an altercation? San Pedro has seen its own crime wave in attacks, thieves, and drug dealers. Thieves have gone from targeting empty properties to home invasions...there's no fear.

Now, that written, yes, you can have an enjoyable experience in Belize but it does require some common sense...
Stay away from areas that are known hot spots, never wear your expensive jewelry, put burglar bars on the windows, lock up your valuables, don't carry large sums of cash, travel in pairs (or more) especially if female, etc., etc.

I have been traveling to SP since I lived there in 2008 with my then 10 yr old twin boys. Yes we had a few shoes that just were not around when we went back to the beach. I or my children never had anything taken other than shoes and a fishing pole that the boys just left out on the beach.
I have known people that got money stolen or computers taken or cell phones that went missing. But over the past 4 years and my many trips, staying for weeks or months at a time I have never been attacked or lost my cell phone. ( I DESERVE A AWARD for never loosing my CELL phone) oh one time My daughter droped it on the road, it but it was return by a nice person thanks to RoadKill Bar.
I am a older single female and I have traveled by bike, golf cart and walked alone some times when it was dark. I never am out later than 9 pm ALONE and I always have a cell phone. I try not to walk alone but when I do I take the street and or a taxi. I have had to take the water taxi and walk a bit to get where I was going at night.
I am VERY aware of others that have had serious problems or been robbed.
BUT I have never been robbed or attached. I do go out to bars and have fun with friends. I am just aware of where I go and I guess maybe I don't look rich?

Bottom line I have never had a problem.
I love SP and will BE BACK!
Mary

Last edited by Mary1220; 08/28/12 03:01 PM.

mary
I suppose the word "dangerous" is relative. We have recently been victims of burglary/breaking and entering. By no means were these events dangerous. Annoying, frustrating, costly yes - but not dangerous.

Indeed there are some places and some situations that are more dangerous than others. The off duty cop was apparently "on duty" in a bouncer type capacity. And certainly drunks with weapons are dangerous and unfortunately the officer has been harmed.

I see hundreds of people every day going out to dinner, walking the beaches, sitting at the park, playing on the piers, going to work and heading home etc that are not victims of dangerous attacks.

So yes, be wise, be sensible and you should be fine.

I live on Ambergris Caye and I certainly don't consider it dangerous. As Amanda pointed out, there has been an increase in property crime here in San Pedro but that is something that has happened everywhere given the economy. The murder rate in Belize is still largely associated with gangs in the City and while there is no doubting that others have too been murdered, again, that happens everywhere. I ride a bicycle and walk everywhere I go. I go out after dark on my bike. The most serious crime in seven years I've lived here that I've experienced was my partner's very old bicycle being stolen. I feel so much safer here than I did in London, where I lived previously. When you travel there are, of course, sensible precautions that you should take as you are in a new land and a new culture. When you travel to developing countries where the ostentatious show of wealth may invite trouble, you need to take additional precautions. I've had many visitors and hundreds of clients come here and have nothing but great memories and a good time. Many have become repeat visitors. Most of the people that I've heard of getting into trouble could have found themselves in that position anywhere in the world, being out late at night in an unfamiliar place and under the influence. Amanda is correct, the off duty officer story involved an officer who was doing 'security' at night and who tried to intervene in a fight. Not something I would wish on anyone and he certainly wasn't mortally wounded, but definitely a risk of doing late night security in a place where people buy alcohol.

Comparing to other Caribbean and Central American countries, Belize is not dangerous - unless you think swimming with sharks, going into underground caves, climbing pyramids, rappelling down waterfalls, ziplining through the jungle canopy and diving the mysterious blue hole are dangerous smile To be honest, the most dangerous thing I see happening here to tourists is sunburn!

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

R
R
It's true that everyone has a different experience, but not to recognize the attacks and robberies that are commonplace in this country is disturbing. With due respect to Amanda, robbery is dangerous and turns violent quickly...what if you were aleep on the couch when armed robbers arrived at your home...would you still think that a robbery is not dangerous?
On Ambergris Caye alone the violent altercations and robberies have reach frightening enough levels that even the old guard is talking about it openly. When the institutions are being targeted, the thieves have lost all fear of repurcussion. The US Embassy has issued warnings that Belize as a country is a "dangerous destination, advising caution in travel." These warnings are thought out and not given lightly. The citizenry of Belize has to take note that the gangs are asserting as much control as possible in the country. Belize is a conduit for various sorts of traffic and these entities want the flow of goods to continue.
All this having been said, it is more than likely that each person will come away with a positive experience in Belize. As the punch line in the Hunger Games states," may the odds always be in your favor." God willing, the crime situation does not become a personal issue for anyone. It has for me and has been devastating.

E
E
I could not agree more with Renters Blues. Those of you who wish to turn a deaf ear are defeating youre cause. Wake up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.