Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#445855 - 09/04/12 03:39 PM Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes
Marty Offline
It was a misunderstanding that got quite a number of people very upset on the island and one which cost quite a number of residents their bicycles. Over the weekend the San Pedro Police Department took it upon themselves to confiscate bicycles from people who did not have proper documentation for it, lacked reflectors, a bell and flashlight, without any notice being given to the community.

Click here for the rest of the story in the Ambergris Today

#445859 - 09/04/12 03:45 PM Re: Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes [Re: Marty]
iluvbelize Offline
Good grief! The police jumped the gun on this issue? How about performing police work to alleviate more pressing issues to the community and tourists at large such as patroling for criminal behavior such as thieving, drug selling and prostitution in local bars.

#445860 - 09/04/12 04:18 PM Re: Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes [Re: Marty]
Nobody You Know Offline
Thank goodness they have the resources to rid the island of this scourge. Incidents of being on time for work and riding while intoxicated should plummet...

#445864 - 09/04/12 05:16 PM Re: Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes [Re: Marty]
belizeonthebeach Offline
Another good example why San Pedro & Ambergris Caye should have is own police department and divorce these GOB police. They don't want to be here anyways. They should be ashamed of themselves and whomever is in charge should get some common sense. Explain to me how relieving folks of their bicycles is serving and / or protecting the public?

#445865 - 09/04/12 05:20 PM Re: Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes [Re: Nobody You Know]
BeBelize Offline
Ridiculous! There are many more pressing issues on the island, but this one is certainly "easier" (for the PD) than dealing with preventing crime and stopping drug dealing and prostitution, so it doesn't surprise me at all that this happened.

A few questions immediately came to my mind if and when they do start enforcing these new rules:

1. How to prove ownership of your bike if you bought it used and don't have a receipt? We shipped ours from the US after purchasing on craigslist and have digital photos of them we took before we even shipped them, but we don't have a receipt. I suspect most locals are going to have a hard time documenting "ownership" since they didn't know they needed to keep their receipt for years, if they ever got one. Many, if not most, bikes are bought used from an individual and receipts just don't change hands.

2. If you aren't riding at night, why should you be stopped for not having a light? We have headlamps for riding at night (and mine has bright red blinky in the back), but I don't plan to equip my bike with lights for the very few times we ride at night. They'd get stolen, I'm afraid. I doubt I can even buy them on the island.

3. Helmets? I always wore one in the US and think they're a good idea on the road, but I don't wear or have one here. Are they even available for purchase here on the island? It's hard enough getting motorcyclists to wear 'em, if the folks I see riding north of the bridge (many sans helmets or with the straps not even buckled) are any indication.

It will be interesting to see how all this develops...
Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico

#445899 - 09/05/12 08:12 AM Re: Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
Ridiculous indeed. But not new.
In years past the police would go on rogue-bike arrests ..... I read a report where they charged a child for the offense of "being under the age of 11 and riding on handle-bars". No kidding - it was in the SP Sun's court news.

#445900 - 09/05/12 08:22 AM Re: Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes [Re: Marty]
dabunk Offline
On the mainland and especially PG this is an ongoing policy with the PC's even the riding on the handlebars for any age will get your bike confiscated.

#445910 - 09/05/12 09:18 AM Re: Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
Agree it's idea to stop the handle-bar riding, especially around cars.
Education about traffic safety is woefully missing in our community.

#445952 - 09/05/12 09:10 PM Re: Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes [Re: Marty]
MacGyver Offline
They'll get my bike when they pry it from my cold, dead ass.

#446027 - 09/07/12 12:16 AM Re: Residents Anger as Police Start Confiscating Bikes [Re: MacGyver]
Bear Offline
Originally Posted By: MacGyver
They'll get my bike when they pry it from my cold, dead ass.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 35 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.