Canadian Author, Beatrice Sunnunqil returns from Belize Expedition and Publishes Book of Rare Medicinal Plants

This incredible tale recounts in vivid detail how that trip to Central America turned into a harrowing existence in the remote jungles of Belize. Sunnunqil (her shamanic name, meaning "butterfly" or "sweet flower") existed for six years under mentorship of Don Marco, one of the last remaining descendants of a 2000 year-old shamanic lineage - and one of the most feared shaman in Central America. During many expeditions into the jungle, Beatrice sketched and documented more than 130 plants, many of them, until now, previously unidentified by Western science.

WireService.ca Press Release - Sept 5, 2012 - British Columbia, Canada: Village Lane Press has published Beatrice Sunnunqil's second book, The Black Feather Expedition Field Notes - Rare Medicinal Plants from the Rain Forests of Belize, a compelling account taken from Sunnunqil's thorough and detailed journals compiled while on her many fascinating and often dangerous expeditions deep into the jungles of Belize.

In the summer of 1996, Sunnunqil, a 4th Degree Reiki Master and gifted healer, made a fateful trip from her home in British Columbia, Canada, to vacation in Belize. It was a trip that would change her life and plunge her into the primeval world of true shamanism.

This incredible tale recounts in vivid detail how that trip to Central America turned into a harrowing existence in the remote jungles of Belize. Sunnunqil (her shamanic name, meaning "butterfly" or "sweet flower") existed for six years under mentorship of Don Marco, one of the last remaining descendants of a 2000 year-old shamanic lineage - and one of the most feared shaman in Central America. During many expeditions into the jungle, Beatrice sketched and documented more than 130 plants, many of them, until now, previously unidentified by Western science.

What Beatrice accomplished is nothing short of incredible. Expedition Field Notes relates the intimate knowledge she acquired on this journey: knowledge of exotic and rare plant medicines, tribal shamanic healing ceremonies, and a profound spiritual belief in which the Kekchi - Mayans honour the wisdom of the nature spirit.

"When I first began to compile the notebooks containing my experiences in the deep jungle - my observations on the place, the people, and discipline in the field - I could not have dreamed that one day they would become a published book," Sunnunqil explains. "The field notes and accompanying illustrations were done entirely for my own use; to be able to recognize the plants with certainty, and as an aid to remember how to properly use them."

"I have learned over the years that if we are not careful, familiarity has a tendency to breed complacency. As such, over time, I may have indeed been guilty of letting the work and the many drawings become a "fixture" rather than keep them alive and let them find their place - whether in the world of health and healing, in the world of science, or whether it would stand on its own as a biographical account of an undeveloped primeval culture, which, if we are note careful, could quite possibly be in the twilight of its existence."

"During those years living in a tent at the edge of the rainforest, I registered the uses of more than 130 plants, but was only able to complete the drawings of the specimens that are present in this book. Several circumstances were responsible for this. Foremost among them, and by far the most devastating, was the fact that my life was in danger, and that I would never again be able to return to my camp.

Beatrice asserts that with the publication of this companion volume to The Black Feather, she hopes to draw attention to the urgency of protecting the sensitive Eco-systems of the high jungle and of the rainforest itself. "It is vastly important to preserve these eco-systems," Sunnunqil explains, "and not exploit these irreplaceable areas that are crucial and vital to indigenous tribes, as well as to the world eco-system in general."

"The only way to guarantee our survival and the survival of all other species is to adopt a philosophy whereby we see ourselves as stewards of the planet Earth. In return the Planet will take care of us, and provide abundance for everyone."

Together, Sunnunqil's two books relate the faschinating story of the compelling reality of an ancient Mayan culture and the power of an endangered form of true shamanism - a practice, she discovers, that relies not only on healing, but upon potent and often deadly, dark forces of nature.

The Black Feather Field Notes is a work of great importance and serves to register the pharmacopeia of medicinal plants that for so long has been an intrinsic part of the Kekchi Mayan culture. The unconventional and personal approach of the work makes it an insightful, compelling and entertaining read.

Expedition Journals & Field Notes - www.blackfeatherfieldnotes.com
The Black Feather Memoirs - www.theblackfeather.ca
Kekchi-Maya Shamanism & Reiki Blog - http://theblackfeather.org/

Beatrice Sunnunqil:
E-mail info@blackfeatherfieldguide.com