Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#446343 - 09/11/12 07:41 AM PHOTOS: St. Georges Caye Day parade in SPR
Marty Online   happy

Great set of photos and story by BeBelize... CLICK HERE!

#446396 - 09/12/12 07:55 AM Re: PHOTOS: St. Georges Caye Day parade in SPR [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

St. George's Caye Day Commemorated in San Pedro

The evening’s activities on Sunday, September 9, 2012, included marching band presentations by Isla Bonita Elementary and San Pedro Roman Catholic School who entertained the large gathering at the park with excellent drumming skills that were accompanied by their own dance squads. Other presentations included musical performances by Naslin Rivero, Trisha Godoy, Barrington Castillo and Natalie Arceo who all sang patriotic and lively songs to pick up the spirit of celebration for the evening. Dance routines included a pirate themed performance by the San Pedro Dance Company and a flag routine by Miss Chiquitita Darianie Pou.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

#446500 - 09/13/12 08:22 AM Re: PHOTOS: St. Georges Caye Day parade in SPR [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Speech by Hon. Manuel Heredia on the occasion of the 214th Anniversary of the Battle of Saint George’s Caye

It is with great joy that I address you this morning as the Chairperson of the National Celebrations Commission and as Minister responsible for Tourism and Culture.

On this day 214 years ago, the settlers of this land were faced with the great difficulty of defending the settlement, their home, against an enemy, who had sought to expel them from this land. On the morning of Monday, the 10th September, 1798, fourteen of the largest vessels of the Spanish fleet weighed anchor about a mile and a half from the defending fleet made up of the Flagship Merlin and a number of smaller manoeuvrable schooners and gunflats. At about half-past two Captain Moss of the defending fleet gave the signal to engage. After two hours, the Spaniard fleet, unable to penetrate the shoals, retreated.

This was the culmination of one hundred years of harassment and more importantly, the end of years of difficult circumstances for the settlers in the Bay of Honduras, which included whites, free men of color, slaves and troops from Jamaica, who debated, planned, prepared well and used knowledge of our coastal seas and reef to organize a successful defence of the settlement. This successful defence of the settlement set in motion events that would lead to the settlers in the Bay of Honduras having a more permanent home.

But what is the additional significance of this past event? Today, when Belize faces many adverse circumstances (very much like men at the June 1st, 1797 Public Meeting, who decided on the question of whether to evacuate the settlement or to stay and defend it in the face of an impending Spanish invasion), that - it is then - that we too must decide on what is best for our children; our families, our communities and above all what is best for our country.

Given this reality, as a government and as a people, all of us, and the thousands of Belizeans abroad are called upon to make the difficult decisions and to do what is right to ensure that our potential to grow, develop and achieve is realized.

Our Ministry of Tourism and Culture has certainly embraced the fact that our cultural diversity and history is evidence of what can be achieved. In an effort to further deepen our appreciation, I only invite you to look around at the work that is being done here at the historic Memorial Park. (I would also like to commend the contractors, who have worked tirelessly to have the location prepared for today.) If you look around in Belize City, our towns and villages or our natural environment, there is a story waiting to be told.

For this reason the Sustainable Tourism Plan and the infrastructural development projects underway in Belize City, San Ignacio and San Pedro seeks, to integrate development and historical appreciation. Very soon through the efforts of the Belize City Council, the National Institute of Culture and History, and The Belize Tourism Board will undertake to develop proper signage around Belize City, which highlights areas of historical importance and interest. We will embark on doing the same all around the country. This should have the effect of making our city and towns places where our heritage can be learnt by both Belizeans and visitors.

It is with this vision that this government takes pride in doing its best for our country.

As aptly described in the words of the poet Edward Yorke:

God’s goodness gave this land to me, to honour and to love; O’er all the earth, there is none so free,
say those who leave this cove.
This noble spot makes me rejoice,
So rich and rare it be,
This fruitful land, this blessed choice,
My homeland broad and free.
Home of my father’s true and brave
Land of my earliest days
Land of my heart, whose worth I rave, Teach me to sing thy praise
To thee I yield my maiden love, entire pure and free
Devoted as the stars above, I serve and honor thee.

This Ministry will continue to do its best in protecting and preserving our unique national heritage, while at the same time focusing on the development of Belize as a major tourist destination. In addition, the Ministry is keen on ensuring that in preserving and promoting our rich and diverse heritage, it is also contributing to the education of our people, especially the young generation, in order to instil the love and pride for our country we should feel when we are called Belizeans.

I call upon each Belizean to be proud of the achievements of our forefathers, the many faces of the past who made it possible for us to be here today. I encourage all of us to continue to walk in the footsteps of our Belizean patriots and to commit ourselves to one goal: making Belize the best it can be. May we be filled with patriotic pride, integrity and love for our country.

In closing, I would like to thank my Co-Chair of the National September Celebrations Commission, Ms. Diane Haylock and all the committee members and the St. George’s Caye Day Committee for all their efforts in making sure that we have an enjoyable September Celebrations this year. Thank you and continue to enjoy the festivities. May God Continue to Bless Belize.

The Guardian

#446502 - 09/13/12 08:32 AM Re: PHOTOS: St. Georges Caye Day parade in SPR [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

San Pedro celebrates the Baymen with a Tribute

Islanders on Ambergris Caye brought in the 10th of September, Saint George’s Caye Day, with a Tribute to the Baymen celebration at the Central Park. The Tribute to the Baymen celebration is done countrywide on the eve of St. George’s Caye Day, and in San Pedro it has been a very long time that such practice was not done. The event was hosted and coordinated by the San Pedro Cultural Committee with the assistance of the San Pedro Town Council.

The event started shortly after 8PM on Sunday September 9th with a marching band presentation by some of the band groups on the island. The band, which was accompanied by their cheer groups and dancers, is always an attraction all by itself. The rolling of the drums could be heard from a long distance as the drummers and dancers alike put their skills to display to large crowd of eager spectators. Following the marching bands showdown, the official Tribute to the Baymen ceremony took place.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS AND LOTS more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 76 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.