Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 49 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 48 49
Marty #440479 06/13/12 12:39 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
You will need a sport fishing license if you want to fish from the shore. You can buy one from this website: www.coastalzonebelize.org

Marty #440480 06/13/12 12:42 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of June 3 - June 12th, 2012

Weather Conditions: Unusual rain, and some tough wind. Two days it blew 30 knts NE. Current conditions: tropical wave pattern going into this week. It's the 12th today - and it was decent enough to make some things happen. See below tarpon.

Winds: ENE, ESE 10 - 30 as the storm moved.

Air Temperature: Highs in the high 80's and the lows were in the mid 70's.

Water Temperature: around 80 degrees

Moonphase: Last quarter on the 11th.

WHAT GUESTS WERE CATCHING:

BONEFISH: Mark landed a really nice bonefish with Captain Gilberto. Sue was happy with her little bonefish on fly, they were her first! They are planning on fly fishing a lot more often�so this was a testing week! Jenny is here with her three boys - Lan, Bolten and Blake. Mom and two of the boys all landed bones on fly! Bolten is out there right now off the dock chasing our home fish. He is 16, and fish crazed! He also has some groupies - some of the younger children here this week with their families. Bolton is their hero - already mentoring, I love it. Matt, Mac, Ron, Jim, Mike and Jim, Jim, Bob, �nice bonefishing this week guys.

PERMIT: Our permit on fly hero this week hands down goes to Bill R. It was a solid 60 ft cast into a 20 knt. wind. Leader turned over, a few strips and fish on. Thinking it was a CIS. Bill is our own commentator for a mimic Buccaneers and Bones. You should hear Emir sound like Tom Brokaw! Very funny. Emir had to listen to Bill so much this week he figured he might as well get his "stand up" in as well. Look for pictures with Bill and Emir on facebook and our website! Good coaching by Shrek.

TARPON: The good news about this fishing report being late is right here. Today, the 12th, we had 4 tarpon landed on fly! The skies started out black, then lightening, then rain, then a break when everyone bolted in different directions to find something�make something happen. Peter, Rick, Dave all landed tarpon 25 - 50 lbs on fly today. Way to make it happen. Jim and Dave have been fishing partners for years, and this trip they both landed tarpon on fly! Jim made his happen on his first cast and it was his birthday! With all the bad weather, the fact that all these tarpon were landed on fly is a tribute to the anglers and the guides staying with the game. Myles showed up here with his dad, he is 16. He flat out told me he had landed permit on fly and was here to land tarpon on fly. OK. He went out on the 10th and hooked three, landed one on Savannah! And his week isn't over. Of course, look for the pictures soon!

SNOOK: Snook were not targeted.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - some with weed guards�but Gotchas, Christmas Island Special, Small crabs, in size 8 and 6.

FOR PERMIT - Our "rice and beans" = Christmas Island Specials, size 4 and 6. Also, tan crab patterns in 6. And finally, a new fly working well! Rubber legged Gotcha's size 4 and 6.

FOR TARPON - Brown cockroach pattern with some EP fibers to spice things up. Size 3/0. Black death, and then tan toads, white, white and chartreuse bunny's - size 1/0 - 3/0. The guides prefer flies on circle hooks for better landing success. Most fish were landed on J hooks this week.

This Week's Summary:

Epic wind was tough to ignore. We toasted our guests this week because they have been such great sports about making the best out of "not so perfect fishing conditions." Everyone fished in the rain and howling wind and came back to the dock smiling. I think the most common sentence I said this week, " Let's take a look at the weather in the morning and discuss a plan with your guide." I can't emphasize enough how important it is to make a plan with your guide at the beginning of the day and adjust as needed. Just because someone landed a tarpon in one spot today, does not mean that spot will be good tomorrow. Things change and often. Our guides are first and second generation San Pedrano guides who have lived in and around this water all their lives. They have great pride in their work and want to make it happen for you. A successful day on the water can be so much more than a ton of fish or a big one. I know Mike learned so much from Kechu this week. And Mac told me how much he appreciated Cesar taking time in the day for a planned casting lesson practicing casting into the wind. So from a "not so perfect fishing week," I think anglers will leave here better fly fishermen. And that confidence will keep them casting to their dreams.

Guide of the week:

L-A [email protected]

Fishing photo of the week:

El Pescador guests Mark and Sue and their bones!

Marty #445343 08/28/12 08:29 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of August 19th - August 25th , 2012

Weather Conditions: Partly cloudy start to the days with clear afternoons an occasional shower at night.

Winds: Winds were strong at 10-20 mph the beginning of the week, calming down nicely to 5 mph for Friday and Saturday

Air Temperature: Highs in the low 90's and the lows were in the lower 80's.

Water Temperature: around 83 degrees

Moonphase: The first quarter moon was on the 24 th.

BONEFISH: Lots of bonefish as usual - Mary landed her first ever bonefish as did Billy. Mary was fishing with Capt. Luis while Billy was out with Capt. Vince. Everyone caught bonefish each day. The biggest just around 4 pounds.

PERMIT: On Monday, his first day out, long time guest Adam M. landed a permit warming up for the tournament with Capt. Emir. Tony, his teammate got one to eat but didn't get it in. Repeat guest Dave D. warmed up for the tourney with Capt. Carlos on Wednesday and landed a permit - his first permit here at EP! Victor Landed a good 12-pound permit with Capt Kechu. For tournament points, Team Reel Women fishing out of EP landed a permit on their first day out. Congrats to team Reel Women (our own Lori-Ann and Diane) who fished with Capt, Tomas. Team Yellowdog also fished out of EP as well, Ian and Keith fished hard but could not repeat their second place finish of last year but finished strong on Saturday with a permit to the boat.

TARPON: Sunday, Adam B hooked a tarpon but lost it seconds later as it jumped into the mangroves in a little lagoon in Bacalor Chico National Park. Several boats went out early Sunday for the Long Caye migratory bite but couldn't find the fish that day. Sergey landed a nice tarpon in the mangroves with Capt. Luis P. Marty lit up Long Caye with some tarpon action on Monday, jumping 2 and landing a third around 40 pounds. The migratory fish just Adam and Tony had some Tournament action jumping 4 medium size fish on Thursday. Tim (last years tournament champ) jumped 5 tarpon on Friday but none came to the boat. Not so on Saturday when Tim and Capt. Cesar boated 2 big fish! Paul fed a tarpon but like the others just couldn't get it to stick. Tim got 2 tarpon to the boat on Saturday with Capt. Cesar.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - gotchas, CI specials, Crazy Charlie in multiple colors, Turneffe crab

FOR PERMIT - Adams big ugly, Christmas Island Special, mink shrimp, some large shrimp patterns I did not recognize and some tournament guys just wouldn't say what they were using!!

FOR TARPON - Chartreuse Toad, Purple bunny, Cockroach, SST poon fly, black death bunny.

L-A [email protected]

El Pescador's angler of the week goes to Vanya and his triggerfish .. a first class angler in the making!

Marty #446358 09/11/12 10:03 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of September 2nd - September 9th, 2012

Weather Conditions: Mostly sunny skies with a few scattered thundershowers. Stable weather conditions prevailed this week.

Winds: ESE 5-15, E 10-20

Air Temperature: Highs in the low 90's and the lows were in the low 80's.

Water Temperature: around 80 degrees (depends on rainy days which cools the water).

Moonphase: Last quarter on the 8th.

BONEFISH: Case and Karla crushed the bonefish on light spin. It was exactly what they wanted to do. Take time from their work in Africa and have some serious R & R with some fun fishing. Prent and Steve also had epic bonefishing on light spin. Prent landed a 22 inch bonefish, which is huge for here. David from Australia also landed his first bonefish on fly. Dr. Mark was tarpon fishing but made sure he checked in with the bonefish daily - because, why not?

PERMIT: Everyone is tarpon crazed. The permit are hanging out.

TARPON: Dave landed an 80 lb tarpon with Captain Luis down by Long Caye. He dedicated his entire fishing time to chase tarpon. They left the boat dock at 5 each morning and headed out to chase silver. Dave was primarily fly fishing but carried the spin rod for the needed opportunity. It worked. Matt was "tarpon bit" this week with Captain Tomas. He had several eats, a few good jumps but none landed on fly. Next time. This was his first time fishing salt anyway. If it all happens the first time, it's bad luck for future trips. That what they say anyway. I always work with "Murphy's Law," so I wouldn't know about great luck the first time tarpon fishing. In fact, it took ten years of every mistake known to fly fishing for tarpon before I landed one. Then it got easier.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - some with weed guards�but Gotchas, Christmas Island Special, Small crabs, in size 8 and 6.

FOR PERMIT - Our "rice and beans" = Christmas Island Specials, size 4 and 6. Also, tan crab patterns in 6. And finally, a new fly working well! Rubber legged Gotcha's size 4 and 6. Oh yeah, don't forget about MANTIS shrimp patterns. A basic tan with tan rubber legs on a size 6 worked really well for us in the tournament.

FOR TARPON - Brown and also Orange cockroach patterns with some EP fibers to spice things up. Size 3/0. Black death, and then tan toads, white, white and chartreuse bunny's - size 1/0 - 3/0. The guides prefer flies on circle hooks for better landing success. Most fish were landed on J hooks this week.

This Week's Summary:

Just a classic late summer week with fun times relaxing and fishing the flats with no one around. It's slow season primarily because it's nice weather in North America! Lucky for us it's great weather here too. The fish are happy due to stable conditions, and anglers have had some quality fishing both on fly and spin. The guides are using this down time to fix their boats and getting ready for a busy October. The guests who snorkeled or dove with Alonzo this week had rave reviews: Incredible creatures of the sea living on the second largest barrier reef in the world. And there were some fun stories from guests who went bar hopping on bicycles�everyone made it back intact. New friends this week. Thanks everyone.

Guide of the week:

L-A [email protected]

El Pescador guest chasing Tarpon

Marty #458745 02/24/13 09:50 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

February 10, 2013 - February 16, 2013

Weather Conditions: The week started out mostly sunny with big wind. Then a north front came in, bringing some clouds and occasional rain showers.

Winds: Big winds, ESE 10 - 20 mph, then went WNW 5 - 10 ending with NNW 5 - 10.

Air Temperature: High 70s - Low 80s during the day, down to 60s during the night.

Water Temperature: Temps in the mid 70s.

Moonphase: First Quarter Moon on February 17th.

BONEFISH: Ed landed a HUGE bonefish with Captain Cesar. See photos! 20 inch girth, measured, tagged with Bonefish Tarpon Trust tag and released. First bonefish for several of the group Leyland brought from Seattle. Big smiles for Annie and Derek, Tito, Leon, Dan, Joe, Eric, Christoph, Bruce, Ron, Jack, and Reggie. Len and Ron had some nice bonefishing as well. Nice job everyone, it was windy, and you made it happen!

PERMIT: Reggie landed a beautiful 20 lb permit on fly with Captain Cesar. Check it out�.they had picky permit, really? Picky permit? But they continued to change flies, and when they layed out a white crazy Charlie - no eyes - the big permit came over and grabbed it! See photos! Leyland landed a cute little permit his first day out with Captain Emir. But when he saw the big ones, 20 - 40 lb permit, he became obsessed. See you soon Leyland - permit fishing with a fly is addictive, especially once you see what you saw! Bill landed a nice 8 lb permit on fly with Captain Erlindo, and Howard landed a 10 lb permit on live crab.

TARPON: Thursday was the day. Several boats saw "hundreds" of tarpon on Savannah Flats. Reggie had two bites - oops, trout set! Leyland and Howard also saw a ton of tarpon with Captain Kechu. No tarpon landed this week, but we sure had fun trying!

OTHER: no other species targeted this week

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Gotcha, Crazy Charlie's in tan or white, just about anything would work - mostly size 8 and 6, some with weedguards.

FOR PERMIT - Our standard never gives up: Orange Christmas Island Special in size 4 or 6, Avalon in size 4, and Gotcha's in size 4 or 6. Some crabs in 6, tan. Mantis shrimp, tan and bead chain eyes - it works.

FOR TARPON - Chartreuse toad, slow easy twitchy retrieve - depends on what the fish is doing. Watch and listen. On Savannah we are using 40 and 50 lb shock. Let the fly settle, then move it. White, tan, pink - bunnies and toads. . Really fun tarpon fishing in skinny water right now! Favorite color - white.

This Week's Summary:

Leyland M. brought a nice group from his Orvis Bellevue Store. Reggie showed up fired up casting to the bonefish in front of the lodge before he had time to unpack. We had big wind and changing wind, but each day the boats came back with incredible stories. We had a lot of beginners to the salt this week - and now these anglers have just upped their game. It's fun to talk about steelhead that are scattered about in the rivers of the Pacific Northwest, and the difference between casting to water you believe a fish lives vs. a permit or tarpon coming mock speed to you and you need to get the cast there, and now! This fishing brings about personality changes. I'm proud of our adult learners. Keeping it fresh is about learning and challenging ourselves. Once again casting out a line brings in more than we ever expected. Thanks for a fabulous week of fun.

Guide of the week: Captain Cesar for getting Reggie into his first permit ever. Patience, persistence and permit!

If you have any questions or would like more information, please email us at [email protected]. Happy fishing! L-A

Marty #458936 02/26/13 08:47 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

February 17, 2013 - February 23, 2013

Weather Conditions: Variably cloudy skies with a few light showers as a north front came in basically mixing up the weather. Wednesday was flat out beautiful. Toward the end of the week we had the sun but we also had big wind.

Winds: Big winds, ESE 10 - 20 mph, then went WNW 5 - 10 ending with NNW 5 - 10.

Air Temperature: High 70s - Low 80s during the day, down to 60s during the night. Winds: North at 10 to 15mph, changing to ENE, ending the week with ESE with gusts up to 30 mph.

Water Temperature: Temps in the mid 70s

Moonphase: Full Moon on February 25th

BONEFISH: Big smiles all around from Lindsay and Paul who landed their first bonefish on fly. Fred and his absolutely fish crazed son, Jack, also landed their first bonefish on fly. Alerin had one day to make it happen between his diving expeditions and had a ball. It was great to see return friends Jon and Dale come back to rip it up - I lost count of bonefish landed on fly. Jason likes numbers and that he got! And selfishly, my fabulous niece Sarah, landed her first bonefish on the fly with me out in the lagoon! No camera - of course, that's when it happens right? But we have memories that will last our lifetime.

PERMIT: Permit fishing has been incredible!!!!!!! Andy landed his permit with Captain Kechu that went toward his slam�.Then Aki shows up again with his son Mac - I don't even know how to say this, but Aki landed SIX permit on fly in one hour with Captain Cesar. They said it was "un Belizable!" Jeff came in today and landed a nice permit with Captain Luis - and almost slammed with the tarpon. Way to go! Support permit fever!

TARPON: Andy landed a 60 lb tarpon with Captain Kechu for his Grand Slam! Jack had one on with Captain Alex but the mangroves interfered, and Jeff had three bites with Captain Luis. The big wind blew out Savannah, but the lagoons have been productive.

OTHER SPECIES: Fred landed ladyfish and barracuda on fly. The Frigate birds stole the cuda fillets as soon as the guides left the dock. I guess the guide who left the fish will never do that again! Thanks to Lindsay for trying to rescue the soon to be cooked cuda fingers!

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONES - Gotcha, Crazy Charlie's in tan or white, just about anything would work - mostly size 8 and 6, some with weedguards.

FOR PERMIT - Our standard never gives up: Orange Christmas Island Special in size 4 or 6, Avalon in size 4, and Gotcha's in size 4 or 6. Some crabs in 6, tan. Mantis shrimp, tan and bead chain eyes - it works.

FOR TARPON - Chartreuse toad, slow easy twitchy retrieve - depends on what the fish is doing. Watch and listen. On Savannah we are using 40 and 50 lb shock. Let the fly settle, then move it. White, tan, pink - bunnies and toads. . Really fun tarpon fishing in skinny water right now! Favorite color - white.

This Week's Summary:

It just seems like I'm giving out as many gifts to our guests that return as "El Pescador Family" as I am bonefish pins! It makes us really happy when we see our friends come back. This week was filled with "family." Thank you all for being so supportive of one another. For me, it was a special week because my niece Sarah was also here. Sarah grew up in my fly shop back in Victor, Idaho - and hasn't fished in years. This week there we were wading the lagoon searching for bonefish. When I said, "Sarah, put it there! - the fly landed and a bonefish was on! She hadn't lost her cast and that smile still makes me tickle inside. The level of confidence with all the anglers grew this week and I know everyone will continue to build on what they learned and continue to cast to their dreams.

Guide of the week: Captain Kechu for getting Andy into his first Grand Slam!!!!!

If you have any questions or would like more information, please email us at [email protected]. Happy fishing! L-A

Marty #459505 03/05/13 09:02 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

February 24, 2013 - March 2, 2013

Weather Conditions: Clear and sunny skies at the beginning of the week. Then a cold front came in and really chilled things down; overcast skies and a few rain showers.

Winds: ESE 5 to 15 mph moved West mid week, then NW 10 - 15 mph.

Air Temperature: High 84, Low 60. We had a few really warm days followed by some chilly days.

Moonphase: Full Moon on February 25th

BONEFISH: Our Michigan Doc's - Jim, Bill, Tony (radiologist so they really don't count him!!), and Glen all landed several bonefish on fly. It was great to see Glen's confidence grow throughout the week. He was concerned he did not know enough - so he soaked up information from the casting clinics and Captain Emir - he left with several bonefish released from his hands. Jeff, also from Michigan, was here for his first fly fishing in the salt. He landed some really nice bones with Captain Luis. Ron and Susan returned to EP ready to catch a lot of fish. We lost count of bonefish landed on 10lb spin with Captain Tomas. Beebe and Bob were beaming with their bonefish on fly and spin. From "honey holes" to skinny water - the bonefish game is the heart and soul of the salt.

PERMIT: Jeff said, "I had never seen a permit before, so to land one was really cool." Jeff landed a nice 8 lb permit on a Christmas Island Special with Captain Luis. They had some great stories of casting to 20 plus lb permit�..lots of follows without a commitment. Humm, sounds like permit. Captain Alex had Gary into some nice permit as well with the same response. Idaho Bill had three "eats" with Captain Kechu early in the week - they just didn't stick.

TARPON: Idaho Bill landed his first tarpon of fly with Captain Kechu! Awesome! Bill's legs are weak, so he fished from the Yetti cooler on the bow of Kechu's boat. Kechu says, "it's nothing for Bill to cast out 70 feet sitting down!" So, can you imagine landing a tarpon sitting down? That's why this is so fantastic. Congratulations Bill!

OTHER SPECIES: Barracuda - a great sport fish that gets huge air, were landed on fly and spin. We all agree, barracuda are an under-rated fish. They just don't get the respect like the big 3, but they sure are fun! Ladyfish, jacks, snapper and grunts all landed on fly.

FLIES THAT WORKED

This Week's Summary:

Return guests - Bill and Carol, Ron and Susan, Gary and Joyce, Graham and Annie, welcome back! We had a really nice week where guests met new friends and bonded with established friends. The fishing was toss up because the weather was so crazy this week. It is very unusual for a cold front to come in this time of year dropping to 60 at night! That may not sound cold, but it is for here. All the fish are around - so each day anglers went out with a great attitude to try skill and luck with the sea. Dreams came true, and new goals reached. Thanks everyone for a great week.

Guide of the week: Captain Kechu for getting Idaho Bill into his first tarpon on fly!

Marty #460207 03/14/13 09:19 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

March 3, 2013 - March 9, 2013

Weather Conditions: Mostly sunny weather this week. We had some overcast mornings and a few light rain showers.

Winds: North 5-10 mph, changing to ENE, ending the week with ESE and gusts up to 25 mph.

Air Temperature: High 70s to low 80s during the day, down to 60s at night.

Moonphase: Last quarter on March 4th

BONEFISH: It was wonderful to see Graham again here at EP. He had a fun day bonefishing with Captain Alex - a great way to warm up the week! Jeb and Katie landed their first bonefish on fly. John was here from the UK and had a fun day bonefishing with Captain Luis - sight fishing for bigger bones. Jacquie landed her first bonefish on fly and this was her first ever fishing trip! Kurt came back for his first day bonefishing with a giant smile. So did Tom. Tom was even more thrilled with his wife Karalee and daughter Kristin landed their first bonefish as well. Adam showed up and landed his first ever bonefish right in front of the lodge! His comment, "bonefish are easier than carp!" I almost died. We argued about this all week. Carp fishing is extremely challenging, but there are so many more variables with bonefishing. Come on!

PERMIT: Permit fever took over the lodge this week. Everyone had TONS of shots at permit, and TONS of follows�..Harold hooked up and landed a beautiful permit with Captain Sinoe. It was the permit that lead him to his slam! The permit ate an Avalon. Adam invited me out with him and Captain Emir and we had incredible shots. We had some real interest when we started throwing small flies! So tie up some glass minnow patterns - sparse in size 6 and 8. Let's see what happens. While wading I had permit chase my fly to my feet. The permit fishing is really fun right now!they just didn't stick.

TARPON: Adam landed a nice 15 lb tarpon in a small lagoon with Captain Emir. It is challenging enough to get the cast there in small quarters, and when they eat�holly cow, now you have to land that thing. Which he did. Harold landed a nice 50 lb tarpon first thing in the morning and then Captain Sinoe chased down his slam with the permit at the end of the day. Congratulations to all of you. It was really fun to see the dynamics between angler and guide�.determination on both sides!

OTHER SPECIES: Wayne landed barracuda and fed the masses. We had a lot of boats target barracuda - they are a blast on fly or spin. Snook were targeted but didn't eat flies presented. It's late for snook, but this cooler weather has them poking their noses out of the deep mangroves.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR PERMIT - Our standard never gives up: Orange Christmas Island Special in size 4 or 6, Avalon in size 4, and Gotcha's in size 4 or 6. Some crabs in 6, tan. Mantis shrimp, tan and bead chain eyes - it works. And try for tough fish a small 6 or even 8 glass minnow pattern.

This Week's Summary:

Harold showed up with Adam's group determined to up his game. He practiced a few things out on the casting platform, reviewed and replayed fish shots�.and all that focus lead him right to his first Grand Slam with Captain Sinoe. It was really something to witness. We all talk about "intention" - this was live! Captain Emir scored because Adam left three beautiful fly boxes with him - tons of gorgeous flies! Thanks Adam for bringing a great group and the fun day permit fishing with Emir. I learn something each day I get out on the water. Everyone was really fabulous this week, but I want to put a special "thank you" out there to Bill and Bruce. These guys smiled all week and taught us to say when someone asks about the day�.."The very best." "The very best " to all of you for a great week.

Guide of the week: Captain Sinoe for working with Harold to make his first Grand Slam happen!

Marty #460667 03/21/13 08:58 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

March 10, 2013 - March 16, 2013

Weather Conditions: The cold front was really cold for us! Very strange weather for this time of year�.Variably cloudy and cool - mid 70's is cool. Not much rain, but we had some wind.

Winds: E, NW, NNW, N, NNE ending with ENE 5 - 10. The wind really messed us up this week because it changed everyday. Gusts up to 25 mph.

Air Temperature: High 70's to low 80's during the day, down to 60's in the night.

Moonphase: New Moon on March 11th

BONEFISH: It's just cracking me up! It is now becoming a regular thing for children, kids ages 3 - 10, showing up with their iPhones to prove and show me that they have landed bonefish off the dock�.because, they really, really want that bonefish pin awarded the last night! James and McLean cleaned up last night! Way to go guys. You represented the dock fishing well. Out on the big water - we had a lot of firsts! Gina practiced her casting all week, and on the last day out with her husband Larry - she landed 10 bonefish on fly! Father and son, Dave and David landed a ton of bonefish on fly as well. 10 y/o David was one of our heroes this week on the casting deck. Father and son, Todd and Garrett landed some really big bones. Garret is another absolutely possessed young man. I wish he would leave his fly boxes here! Dennis and his two sons James and John also landed their first bonefish on fly. I think the biggest bone was Marc's 22 incher! The whole group landed bonefish this week - all different styles - and all fun.

PERMIT: Our beloved guests Dick and Ed returned this year to catch permit on fly. They did it on the first day with Captain Gilberto! They each landed a nice permit�Dick's was really close to 20lbs - which is huge. Pictures to come! And one our young guys�.Steele - landed a permit on spin. The new moon was good to us.

TARPON: I was so happy when Marc, Jeff and Captain Kechu hit the dock with news that Marc landed a tarpon! We had some really tough weather, and these guys pulled it out of the hat with a nice 15 lb lagoon tarpon on fly. Not so easy to land I might add. And then we all were ecstatic when our Birthday Princess, Simons Welter, landed a really nice 25 lb tarpon the last day out with Captain Emir. It was not only the last day, it was the last fly ( for a variety of reasons) and damn near the last cast of the day. A long cast and she pulled it off! My buddy Crosby (Hardy) and his friend Mike (True Flies) dedicated their three days to tarpon fishing which was hard core. The tarpon were scarce through the cold front - but these guys are pros. They came back each day smiling. They know they will have their turn soon.

OTHER SPECIES: Marc and Jeff landed 14 different species this week on fly! Moon fish, you name it. And Garrett - we love you for landing Mr. Snook! We have had shots at snook with this cooler weather, but they have been tough on fly. Not for Garrett. A nice 12 lb snook on fly - and fed us all with a great appetizer! Snook are not catch and release and they are very good eating.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR PERMIT - Our standard never gives up: Orange Christmas Island Special in size 4 or 6, Avalon in size 4, and Gotcha's in size 4 or 6. Some crabs in 6, tan. Mantis shrimp, tan and bead chain eyes - it works. And try for tough fish a small 6 or even 8 glass minnow pattern.

This Week's Summary:

As usual, it's tough to say good bye. We had a great time this week. Marc was one of the best group leaders I have ever worked with! Thank you Marc. I was talking with Crosby and Mike before they left about what inspires me these days. We were all inspired by the young people this week. Master David has his bucket list, and at ten, he was "on point" the entire week. His father Dave follows him around - providing his son with the best of fly fishing. David doesn't take this for granted - just making it happen. The dock kids - throwing shrimp - landing whatever, even a permit! Brothers, sons and daughters - all showed great sportsmanship this week. And then, for me, it was special to meet Simons. Simons is a guide from Spartanburg, SC. She has a great attitude and flat out loves her fly fishing. Her husband Hank told me he is her agent. We're going to see more of Simons - the gal rocks. A very special Thank you! to Mike Lintz from True Flies. Mike shared some incredible swag with our guide team. They looked so handsome wearing their new True Flies pants! And it wasn't just the new flats pants - add to list - visors, shorts, shirts�. Really very generous, Thank you Mike. And thanks everyone for a really fun week.

Guide of the week: Captain Gilberto for getting Dick and Ed into double permit!

Marty #461028 03/26/13 09:09 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

March 17, 2013 - March 23, 2013

Weather Conditions: Sunny and hot with little rain. We have had some big wind - primarily ESE.

Winds: St. Patrick's Day was ESE 5 - 10, then winds picked up during the week, blowing a solid ESE15 - 25 by the end of the week. Looks like it's going to be E all this week, so that's the good news! We like it 5 - 10.

Air Temperature: High 70's to low 80's during the day, down to 60's in the night.

Moonphase: First Quarter Moon on March 19th

BONEFISH: The bonefish are plentiful - it's just getting the fly to the fish! We had guides head up to Bacalar Chico for anglers who wanted to wade fish and get out of the wind a bit. We also had casting lessons daily - using the wind to help load the rod. All of this is important stuff when going after your first bonefish. The tendency is to want to go too far back on the back cast, and throw the rod on the forward cast. It just ends up a mess. Better to stop rod, let it bend back as the line stretches, then follow through with your thumb nail to your target. It was really fun to watch the confidence grow during the week, as well as skill levels rising - and recognizing that growth. Congratulations to: Brothers Don and John, Garrett and Todd, John and Jack, Bruce and Linda, John, Joe and Joe, Virgil, Gordon, Andrew, Stef, Ian and Caroline, Grif , and Damaso. Nice bonefishing this week - from honey holes to stalking fish, great stories!

PERMIT: Jack landed Mr. Permit on fly - his first ever "flats" experience and he lands a permit with Captain Gilberto. And our favorite cowboy from Jackson Hole, Dave Decker, landed a permit with Captain Emir. These were the only guys who landed fish - there were those of us who cast to tailing permit along white sandy beaches, only to be shut down. But as Stef can tell you just seeing them is flat out wonderful! She was wading with Orvis group leader, Todd Calitri, and asked, "What are those?" T.C.'s response, "Those would be permit Stef�." And for me, I had permit circling me for two hours wading up north - I was in heaven.

TARPON: Congratulations to Norm W. for landing a beautiful 30 lb tarpon with Captain Cesar! Norm had some eats earlier in the week, and then on his last day out he landed his fish. Norm and Beth have been coming to EP for 15 years - so good things are supposed to happen to them. And so it also happened for Hackney P. with Captain Cesar! Don had what I call "The hand shake from God�." So now he knows what it feels like to have such an amazing creature on the end of your line! All fish on fly - color variety but all on 3/0 hooks.

OTHER SPECIES: Special thanks to Ian who fed us all a great appetizer of fried snook from his catch with Captain Alex. Garrett landed a beautiful snook and fed us as well. I love the photo! The picture is OK, because that fish was not released. Great barracuda stories��

FLIES THAT WORKED

This Week's Summary:

Once again it was "old home week" here at EP. It was especially wonderful for our guide, Carlos Marin, to be able to visit with a group of dedicated friends he has guided for several years. Norm W, Todd C and Dave D brought a smile that crossed Captain Carlos's face from ear to ear. We talk about our big fish, our lost fish - and as we tell the story, it's the people that make that story. This week was about revisiting stories and sharing friendship. A big thank you to Todd for his excellence as a group leader for Orvis. And we are going to see a few characters in the fly fishing network somehow�.look out for Stef B - a young nurse practitioner that could end up in fly fishing�.and Garrett I is 100% fish crazed. Love it! Thanks everyone for a really fun week.

Guide of the week: Captain Alex for getting Ian into a big wild snook, as well as putting out a great effort this week for all his angling guests.

Page 7 of 49 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.