Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#44699 - 10/11/01 10:10 AM Diving The Blue Hole
Diving Dutchman Offline
Hola,

For the divers among us: What do you think. Is an open water advanced diver certification suitable for diving the blue hole?

Anyway I will visit AC from 27 december till 8 januari. Main goal will be: Diving, diving, diving. But I'm always interested in good ideas.
Bye

GJ

[This message has been edited by Diving Dutchman (edited 10-11-2001).]

#44700 - 10/11/01 03:31 PM Re: Diving The Blue Hole
Beach Bum Offline
I did it the week after my certification course. Just listen to your divemaster.
Be careful that on the descent from the shelf at 35ft (10 meters) to the staclimites (sp?) that you don't drop too far. 125 ft (38 meters) is plenty deep to see all that is there.

GREAT DIVE!!!!!!!!1

[This message has been edited by Beach Bum (edited 10-11-2001).]

#44701 - 10/11/01 05:16 PM Re: Diving The Blue Hole
ErikaeanLogic Offline
Cool, great info !

I'll be in AC from 10/20 until 10/28 and an overnight to the Blue Hole is in the itinerary for us .

Anybody else going to be in AC during this period?

#44702 - 10/11/01 11:44 PM Re: Diving The Blue Hole
ScubaLdy Offline
Hi Diving Dutchman
If anything, you are overqualified! LOL

#44703 - 10/15/01 02:52 PM Re: Diving The Blue Hole
Florian Offline
This is just one man's opinion, but as a PADI Instructor, I guess I'm entitled to it. I consider the Blue Hole to be an advanced dive.

I consider certification as an Advanced Open Water Diver to be completely sufficent and appropriate for this dive. It is my opinion that this dive is not appropriate for divers holding certification as Open Water Divers.

I'm not telling anyone what to do, but for myself, I think if one is intent on diving the Blue Hole and does not feel able to put forth the effort to become an AOWD, they would do well to stay very close to their Divemaster.

Keep in mind, though, that AOWD is a really fun course. It's mostly about experience. I encourage all divers with a commitment to safe diving to continue their education, for their own benifit and the benifit of those around them.

In Advanced one learns how to become more self-sufficent. In Rescue Diver one learns how to think beyond one's self and be helpfull to others in their time of need.

These are things responsible divers want to do. Diving is as safe as we make it.

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited 10-15-2001).]

#44704 - 10/15/01 04:23 PM Re: Diving The Blue Hole
jkdiver Offline
HI Eric,

We are going to be in San Pedro Oct. 21 - 28. Not sure yet if we are going to go to the Blue HOle. Who are you diving with? I think we are going to dive with Barefoot Water Sports the first day and take it from there.

JK

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,268 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.