3-4 lb stewing chicken
2 lb ground meat
8 eggs (hard boiled)
2 raw eggs
1 square Black Recardo 6 oz
2-3 Apasote Leaves (crumbled)
2 tsp oregano Leaves (crushed)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 medium onion (sliced)
2-3 plugs garlic (crushed)Method
Clean and season Chicken. (Set aside)
Cut up onions and crushed garlic.
Heat frying pan and add 1 tsp fat.
Season ground Steak with onions, garlic, oregano leaves and apasote leaves. Place meat mixture in frying pan.
Fry until well done. Turning frequently.
Remove from heat and add raw eggs. Mix well.
Stuff seasoned Chicken with ground meat. Putting in a whole egg after each portion of ground meat is inserted. Continue until all ground meat and eggs are used up. Sew up Chicken.
Boil Chicken in sufficient water to cover up Chicken.
Add black recardo to 1 cup water. Mix to soften. This gives the colour.
Turn Chicken frequently to cook properly.
Chicken can be removed from liquid and browned in the oven (serve with liquid from pot). Serve with some tortillas
==============================BLACK RELLENO YUCATECAN STYLE Ingredients
6 cups shredded roasted chicken or shredded roasted turkey
9 cups good chicken or turkey
60 grams of black recado (sold commercially)
2 hard boiled eggs sliced
Ingredients for the Stuffing
½ kilo ground pork
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tomato without peel chopped medium
¼ large red bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons mint
Coarsely chopped 1 egg
1 raw egg
salt to tasteMethod
t gets to heat the broth, add the shredded chicken or turkey, stuffing black foiled in a little broth, but in slices and garnish with slices of boiled egg.
PREPARATION OF STUFFING
Mix everything well, wrapped in a canvas cheesecloth and tied; It is cooked in water bath on a grill about 30 minutes, allowed to cool and slice.
Serve in soup bowls with white rice and freshly made tortillas.
==============================BELIZEAN RELLENO Ingredients
1 Chicken (Turkey can also be used)
3 medium sized tomatoes
1 large onion
3 Bay Leaf
6 Garlic cloves smashed
1 tsp ground all spice
1 ball Black Recado or 1/4 of the small block
Cilantro or Culantro (optional)
1 ball Red Recado or 1/4 of the small block
Boiled eggs (optional)
1/4 cup vinegar
1lb ground pork (optional)
*In this recipe i used neither the eggs or the Ground Pork just Chicken.Method
1. First thing's first, the chicken/turkey. Cut up your whole chicken into parts or you can just buy a pack of breasts with the bone. I prefer cutting up a whole chicken because the bones are good for flavoring the stock.Season the chicken with salt, pepper, all spice, and soy sauce to coat it. Take your ball of Red recado and put it in a 1/4 cup of warm-hot water and dilute it by mashing it in the water with yor hands or the back of a spoon. The spoon wold be better being that Red Recado stains. Let it sit and marinate for about 15 minUtes.
2. While your chicken is marinating chop up your Tomatoes into cubes, Onions in slices lenth way, chop up your cilantro or culantro fine and mash and peel the garlic.
3. Put your Rice to cook. i usually do mine 2 cups of rice to 3 cups of water add some sea salt not too much about a pinch or 1/2 tsp. i cook it high heat for 10 minutes, 5 mins on medium heat, and until it's finsihed on low heat. Usually gives me nice med grain.
4. In a cast iron skillet, or non stick pan add a little bit of vegetable oil and cook the garlic in it for about a half a minute. Take out the garlic and set aside you'll be putting it back into the soup. Brown your chicken. while your chicken is browning in a measuring cup or small bowl dilute the ball of red recado by putting it in a little bit (1/4 cup) of warm water. when it's diluted pour it over the chicken and cook it for about 10 minutes on high heat. after 10 mins turn off the chicken and put in a bowl for shredding. let it cool off first before you start shredding. I like to use my fingers for shredding chicken but u can use and knife or for just take off all the meat and skin.
5. In a pot, on low heat, add some more vegetable oil (about 2 tablespoons) and start cooking your onions and tomatoes. Add in the Pork now if you choose to add the ground pork. add salt and cook for 2 minutes, then add in the culantro/cilantro, add in shredded chicken and cook everything together. Add garlic and add in more seasoning if it needs it. It shouldn't though.
6. Take the Black recado and add in warm water and mash it until diluted...like this. Add it to the mix of chicken, veg, bay leaf and pork and start cooking it for 15-20 minutes on medium to low heat. Let her boil slow. If you want to add boiled eggs just boil the eggs in a seperate pot and separate the cooked olks from the whiles. Take the yolks and add them to the soup. You can also just cut the whole egg and add the wolk and the whites up to you.
Now. when this is finsihed you can put it in a bowl like so and enjoy...if you want to add a little bit of pepper you can add a whole habanero pepper to the soup while it's boiling and when the soup is finsihed and the pepper hasnt popped yet then grab a fork and pop it. This will release all the heat into the soup and give it an extra spice.